Daily Check In January 18, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ChristmasTrees

Re: Daily Check In January 18, 2017

Post by ChristmasTrees »

NoisyPorkchop wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:43 am Good morning all!

Supposed to have been going into work this morning but I have a medical appointment at 10:45. I tried and tried to get it done yesterday on my day off but the nurse said everywhere was booked and the soonest she could find was this mornings time slot. My supervisor was very kind when I called her at home to explain my situation and she asked me if I needed the entire day off. I declined and told her I would be fine to come in afterwards. Gah, I hate missing work like that but I need to make the appointment.

It was a bit chilly this morning and I have the heat turned up to 66 degrees and I am still in my fuzzy pajamas staying warm. I am going to do a few things around the house this morning before I head out to my appointment. The clinic asked that I have a full bladder when I come in for my appointment so I am going to drink several cups of water a little later this morning and then tolerate a full bladder for this appointment.

Tonight's dinner will be some home made chicken burritos. I was going to make a chicken and broccoli quiche but it doesn't seem appealing to me today and I know the whole quiche-thing is not my Hubby's favorite anyway. I know he would much rather eat the burritos. I have the chicken breasts defrosted and see I have half of a white onion and half of a green bell pepper and a partial bushel of cilantro so I will make it all happen. I am thinking maybe tomorrow night trying to sneak in another meatless meal. This will be my third meatless meal for the new year. I am managing to get one in at least once each week!

I haven't really been spending much money on anything particular but my DH has his sinus surgery this next Monday morning and the ENT clinic wants a partial payment up front so there goes about $250 or so dollars. Going to focus on keeping the money spent to a minimum as who knows how much more he will have to come up with once the insurance figures come through.

Well, off to shower and get dressed. Oh, and drink more water :) Have a frugal day everyone!
Good luck with your test today Porkchop.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Praying for all of you to keep warm, healthy and safe! I was just thinking how grateful I am to have all of you as my friends too and how over the years you have given me much good advice, support and hope and best of all,you friendship! I wish one day I could meet all of you in person!

Yesterday was a busy day running errands. I am also gathering signatures to bring a new charter school into our area that is more academic (our math scores are like 33%-dismal!) and will have a college prep and computer tech pathway with Silicon Valley partnerships to make our students viable in the future. I was gathering signatures in the cold and canvassed houses in the area and I noticed that there are quite a bit of families sharing houses. Like they would introduce me to their landlord too and both have their own families living there. My bil also rented out a house and there were like 5 families living there and found out since my bil rented it out cheaper than the market rents out there,the main person sub-leased the other rooms and she was actually making money for herself!

My dd called me yesterday and told me about the apartments and townhomes they were looking at and the cheapest would be 460-700.00 rents(their share)-about 500.-600.00 average-of course the closer to the university the more expensive but I want safety as the main criteria and then costs. I want one with a shuttle and bus line there bc they often have late night classes and I want to make sure they can get home safely. Dorms are usually for freshman and not guaranteed for the rest of the years. So now instead of being able to save up like for each quarter payment, it would have to be given every month and that cost does not include food,utilities,transportation. Scary thought! One girl is in the same predicament as we are-single mom with regular job and not much to spare-although even she lives in a rich area so must pay expensive rent or payments even as an apt. At least she has a job! One of the girls is from a rich family and her family is from LA area and coming out here to help find an apt since they are in real estate-the problem is the rest of the group are "poor"(us being the most poor probably since we are not working!!!),so it may be different ideas so we will see. I told my dd do NOT sign the lease until I assess everything! So I am worried about that! Everything will stop in August two year cut off and if dh is not back to his normal self and can resume his job,Idk what we will do bc Idk where the money will come from and we will have to live on our savings which I won't touch up to now just in case. So we have to figure it out by then! Disability, forced retirement?

Preston hurt himself the other day during bb practice and someone stepped on his leg and knee. Since that day he has played two tournament days,had 2 practices a day(one with school and straight to AAU practice and even went to an extra practice) and had a game yesterday and he could barely run or straighten his knee. Gave him Motrin and ice,felt better this morning(skipped yesterday night's practice and he has a game today which he wants to go and skip tonight's practice 1.5 hours away) but I have an urgent care appt(one at 3:30 and rest of appts were like after 6:45 and I called 6 am!). So he says he feels better now,so I guess I will save 20.00 and see how he does-maybe just needs rest! I tell you he is intense and he is soooo skinny bc he cannot keep the calories on since he does track,XC,basketball 2 practices in a day and PE. He just cut his hair really short and someone says he looks like a 10 year old now! And I am feeding him steak in the mornings to bulk him up (lol I think I am the one bulking up instead eating his leftovers for breakfast! Sheesh!)!

My other son is very sick throwing up and other end too-for past three days! I tell him to go to the dr I think he is dehydrated and needs some iv fluids at least. Aiyiyi-grown kids do not listen! Stomach flu or norovirus I am thinking-not good! He never stays home from work but today he did! He counted in the bathroom 29 times just yesterday! And with the deadly flu going around I told him go to the dr!

Getting prepared for surgery next Monday for dh so he cannot get sick! So it has been a busy time! Talk to you all later!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

ugh - my printer wasn't printing and I hope it is out of ink.

My last printer showed it had ink but wouldn't print. I'm hoping it isn't some quirk in my computer. Just tried printing from my phone - nada.

So I ordered new ink. Should be here tomorrow. I cringed at the cost.

Then I went to the mailbox. There was a letter from my electric company.

I thought - ok - the bill. But then I felt something thick in there. Then I remembered - rebate card! Yea!! It made up for the cost of the ink and a couple of meals out. Whew.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you Janet for liking my recycle efforts. :D I don't get a lot of support from hubs who just complains that I collect junk. If I can reduce the amount of stuff that ends up in the landfill, I feel I am making a positive contribution to a better world.
Jens_Cats

Post by Jens_Cats »

Creative, I'm sorry about your father.

Becky, whatever is going on with your daughter, I will keep you all in my good thoughts!

No-spend day today, except that I really need to pay my HOA fees. One of them is late, I think , so I will have a late fee. No one to blame but myself, though I blame not being on top of things or as quick to take care of things on my fibro. For those who don't know, it causes problems with focus, memory, and mental clarity.

I took the plunge and bought myself a new pair of slippers (my 2nd pair was too big, so I've given them to D) and a weighted blanket for my fibro. People have had really good results with them, and I think it will help me, particularly with insomnia.

Speaking of insomnia, I was up until 4:00am and got fed up and took melatonin AT 4:00, so I slept until about 10:30. In bed now, reading and probably going to take a bit of a nap. Late napping no longer seems to affect my sleep. Last night MAY have been caused by too much caffeine on my part. It's hard to know these days. Sometimes, it just happens.

I have some client work to do for two clients. I tried doing some work for one this morning, but I ran into trouble with her website. The host's help files were of no use, so I tried to call for tech support, but you can't even talk to an agent without some information that I'm not privy to, so I let her know, and she will follow up and get back to me. Once she does, the work will probably take me less than 1/2 hour. LOL! For the other client, I have to do some calendaring. I'll do that after I get back up and get the animals fed, etc. Right now, I'm so tired I can't really focus.

Tomorrow I work for the cat rescue, and tomorrow night, some local friends are going out to see a folk band play. I'm hoping to join them, but this has been a bad week for me, so they already know it depends on how I'm feeling. It would be good to get out, and D may go with me.

Tonight, I'm just going to wind down, so that I can get enough sleep.

Everyone take care!
Jen M, WV
Sage Alley: My green/simple living blog:
http://sagealley.blogspot.com
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

The hole is now cut into the cement wall to allow the venting from the furnace to the back.

Hubby is framing the hole, and then later (middle of next week) will cut the holes in the floor for the vents. This will save the furnace people time and us some cash (fewer hours of work by them). M is on another job right now which should finish the middle of next week if all goes well. This could mean heat to the addition is in place by the end of the week. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

The house is a mess from all the cement dust that floated upstairs while the job was being completed. Not to worry, that will give me plenty to clean once the furnace is in. Hubby is so looking forward to getting the electricians back and getting started on the finishing work (floors, ceiling, walls, paint). I am looking forward to having my books back and an empty (well kind of empty) sewing/craft room. Not to mention no more storage fees. Hopefully we will be almost back to normal in a couple of months.

Off to read the forum.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/