Daily Check in January 20, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check in January 20, 2018

Post by alliesmama4 »

Regarding DNA and heritage.For years and years we thought we had Irish roots. However when our cousins started doing research we found out were originally from France. Our family emigrated to Scotland since they were French Huguenots and were escaping religious persecution. Not sure where the idea came from that we were from Ireland. DNA and historic or oral information does not always match due to people migrating and even the boundaries change depending on wars.

My brother's DNA said he was 98% Eastern European and 2% neanderthal.. I told him I always knew he was neanderthal..lol. He said..." well if I am you are too." hhhmmm Never thought of that.. lol. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

"not all tests look at the maternal line. "

Ancestry.com DNA tests do both the paternal and maternal lines.
ohjodi
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Our family is suppose to be descended from Edwards I of England. He is the mean nasty King in Braveheart. Through him Abraham Lincoln is also a descendant.. Two of my other famous cousins are George Clooney and Tom Hanks. I thought how does one go from being the daughter of a King and your distant relatives are living in the woods in a log cabin?... ie Abraham Lincoln. I traced the heritage back down through the ages from the 1300 th century. It happens when each daughter marries just a little bit lower in her class. My ancestress was a princess in England but she married a Count in France and then each of the daughters married a little bit lower.Then when they immigrated to the New World they were-at the bottom of social life and had to start all over. Some doing better than others. Abraham Lincoln and I are descended from the same set of great grandparents. Of course who knows if everyone was faithful? We will never know until after we die and then it will not matter..lol. I read that they did a DNA on Marie Antoinette and her son who would have been king if he had lived and he was not her husbands child according to the DNA. So sometimes it can be interesting to find out and other times wish you had not checked in to it.. Janet Alliiesmama
Janet Alliesmama
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:06 am Maggie, my son did one of those tests. It did not match the written historical records.
We can see a cousin of my Mom's who shows up as a DNA match that has similar anomalies.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Oldest DS did the genome project with National Geographic, he also did the DNA test from Ancestry.

I found it fascinating that his maternal line (me) worked perfectly. My immediate ancestors were from Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Tracing further back the Viking roots come in which is correct. My however many great grandfather was given (well I guess they took it) the isles of Mull and a few other places as his to watch over by the a king in Scandinavia and lost it because they would not support Bruce. There are still plenty of MacDougall descendants on the isles but many left and came to Canada and the United States.

My Grandmother was Welsh/Irish and that shows up as well.

The paternal line was a bit more difficult to follow but it did show Hubby's family coming from Russia during the expulsion of those with German ancestory.

The genome project was something totally different and traced where our original ancestors came from.... Africa of course, and how we spread out some to Europe, some to Asia.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Helped Hubby rack over his wine to the carboy and now get to watch the wine ferment.

The rest of the day was laid back and easily one of the more restful ones, at least for me. Hubby had to cut one more vent and now we are ready for the duct work. Really looking forward to everything being finished, but I am still slightly skeptical about it actually taking place.

I finished one sock this afternoon and managed a good beginning on the second. Hopefully that will be completed tomorrow and I can move on to the next sock to use up even more leftover yarn into something useful. I don't know about the rest of you but I find the quality of the socks a person can buy to be getting worse and worse.

I decided to just heat up the leftover roast beef and make roasted veggies as the side. I got to use up the last of the grape tomatoes, the last of a bunch of celery, the last of one head of cauliflower, the last of the broccoli, some carrots (kept some back for our roast meal tomorrow) and an onion. Smells heavenly roasting away.

Not sure what tonight will hold other than some more knitting and a nice warm bath.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/