Daily Check in January 20, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check in January 20, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

BeckyO wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:27 pm Maggie,
Those DNA results cover 1000, yes, one thousand years. I have records about that far back, some further, on most of my lines. My DNA results and records matched almost perfectly. There was even one for less than 1% from the Jerusalem area. I had Crusaders who went stayed and married in Jerusalem Their descendants returned to Europe.
BeckyO
My Mom thinks it is pretty cool. Of course, since that branch of the family is form the Alsace region that passed back and forth between Germany and France over the years, it is quite conceivable that a Brit migrated there. Here text to me and my brothers was "I need to trade my lederhosen in for a kilt".
BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

The Brits were in France a lot during their continual wars.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:45 am
Years and years ago when I was in grade school there was a fire at a big school.. I think it was Chicago.. a lot of children were killed and the could not identify them.. Not sure of all of the details but not too long after that our school had some kind of identifying necklace and/or bracelets made for us to wear.. The boys had an outline of a male head and the girls had the outline of a girls head. Not sure what was on the medal that identified us further.. We only wore them that one year not sure why we did and then stopped. I guess panic set in when the fire first happened.. Janet Alliesmama
That was the fire at Our Lady of the Angels school in Chicago, 1958. 98 children died. Some were burned so badly that the bodies fell apart when they were picked up.

I started kindergarten in 1974 in Chicago, just 16 years after that fire. Every year, for many, many years, we were told about fire safety, of course.......but we were also told frightening details about that fire, as an explanation for fire rules, like closing doors, sprinklers, locations of exits, fire alarms, etc, etc. We also had fire drills at least every month and the topic of that deadly fire would come up again, and again. As the years went on, we heard less and less about the fire, but we always thought about it.

That school was a death trap, and the fire ushered in nationwide fire regulations for schools.
ohjodi
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

ohjodi wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 pm
alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:45 am
Years and years ago when I was in grade school there was a fire at a big school.. I think it was Chicago.. a lot of children were killed and the could not identify them.. Not sure of all of the details but not too long after that our school had some kind of identifying necklace and/or bracelets made for us to wear.. The boys had an outline of a male head and the girls had the outline of a girls head. Not sure what was on the medal that identified us further.. We only wore them that one year not sure why we did and then stopped. I guess panic set in when the fire first happened.. Janet Alliesmama
That was the fire at Our Lady of the Angels school in Chicago, 1958. 98 children died. Some were burned so badly that the bodies fell apart when they were picked up.

I started kindergarten in 1974 in Chicago, just 16 years after that fire. Every year, for many, many years, we were told about fire safety, of course.......but we were also told frightening details about that fire, as an explanation for fire rules, like closing doors, sprinklers, locations of exits, fire alarms, etc, etc. We also had fire drills at least every month and the topic of that deadly fire would come up again, and again. As the years went on, we heard less and less about the fire, but we always thought about it.

That school was a death trap, and the fire ushered in nationwide fire regulations for schools.
Jodi thank you for the information I did not know all of the details due to being in grade school. I just remember bits and pieces.. It was really sad what happened.. Glad that it did have some good come out that tragedy. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Maggie -
My family was from Alsace Lorraine as well. Your line didn't include any Dornbach's did it?
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I have not gotten much further back than my Great-Great Grandfather, Xavier Imber and do not recall seeing that name so far.