Daily Check in January 20, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in January 20, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Happy Saturday Morning!
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check in January 20, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Hey Frugal Friends,

Got my laundry sorted and ready to load into my vehicle. Mom got her DNA and in spite of being able to trace all relatives having been born in Germany within 4 generations, she got 41% Great Britain and 29% Europe West. Go figure.

I am having trouble tracing my Dad's Grandmother and her line online. I may have to go pull some paper records. Fun stuff.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Maggie, my son did one of those tests. It did not match the written historical records.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Good morning all,

Maggie, I give you props for having the patience to look into your family history - I could not.

I had the luxury of sleeping until nearly 7:30 this morning. I was shocked when I opened my eyes to some daylight!! Hope has been out and Lucy is still asleep under the blankets of my bed. I'm back on the bed, coffee by my side.

Thinking what needs to be done today - bills - and "balance the budget" and some supplies are needed - dog food, cat food, kitty littler, bathroom tissue, coffee, flour and fruit and vegetables (most likely fresh apples, bananas, potatoes, carrots and some frozen broccoli or peas).

I definitely want to hit the Library this morning and have a small bag of donations to drop off at the thrift store (there will be no going inside and buying!). Since it is "warmer" today I want to take time to clean out my car - have left my hiking boots and some other odds and ends in there and it looks terrible.

Most 'everyplace I go today will be walking - with the exception of Save A Lot. I would walk there too but I can't carry the big bags of pet food and all the other stuff home and I don't have a wagon or cart or anything.

Meals today will be oatmeal with raisins for breakfast, vegetable soup from the freezer for lunch and I'm thinking of "breakfast for dinner" when it comes supper time - maybe a couple of egg sandwiches on homemade biscuits.

Housecleaning is on the agenda too. I have been getting some cleaning done the last couple weekends but have done a whole lot of relaxing too, so my bookshelves need a good dusting, scatter rugs all need to get washed, bathroom needs cleaning, etc.

I'm off to have another cup of coffee and then get started. I hope you all have a wonderful, productive, save, relaxing, happy, peaceful, blessed Saturday.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

This morning is genealogy club. I've never done my DNA but I know it is very popular. The club offers several classes. I always figured I "knew" my family heritage but I think I'll do it at some point. The one family member who is completely unknown to me is my great grandmother on my father's father's side. The topic for today's meeting is researching female ancestors if you don't know their maiden name. After the meeting will be a tour of the genealogy library. They do this every few months but I've never taken the time because I always rushed to mom's house for lunch. I need to pay my dues for the year, $17, a bargain.

Our homeowners association party this afternoon was postponed until February. No reason given. The parties are almost always at the pool and I think today will be warm enough so there must be another reason for the cancellation.

I moved some items around yesterday to make my living room look less cluttered. I'm trying to think of creative ways to store or display the things from mom's house. Finally opened a big box of photos. There are so many. This is going to be a long project.

Enjoy your weekend.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Saturday morning all,

It is warmer here although I am still wearing several layers of clothes and a sweater plus knit cap. All my plants are outside. I brought my little sprouts in last night because they are still so tiny. A lot of damage to the garden though from the freeze. Been a rough year for Florida plants and people with the hurricane and record setting cold.

In the warm afternoon yesterday, I set the recycled 4x4 posts in one of my cinder block planters. They fit nicely. I then bought a pre-made lattice and will hopefully get it set up today. I plan to grow star jasmine on it. They can tolerate partial shade. It will have to get warmer before I can paint the lattice though. This afternoon, I will prepare the second planter for 4x4 and lattice. It is great to recycle and frugal as well. If time allows, I will set up my recycled front door for a planting table. I recycled the old bathroom door to a work bench. It is very nice, but very messy right now.

This morning, I will go to the big Walmart for softener salt. I need a new garden rake as well. The old one broke. My future wildflower, butterfly garden area needs a raking.

I bought some supposedly 80/20 ground beef on sale at the Hispanic market. From the amount of grease left in the skillet, it is more like 60/40. It is a great sale, but I prefer more meat and less fat.

Well, it is a lovely, do something day. Hope it is a nice day for you as well.