Daily Check in January 20, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Daily Check in January 20, 2018

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Finally slowing down - busy, busy day - but good. Grocery shopping was done - that took a LONG time, simply because I am going very slow and taking time to look at EVERY. THING. in the stores to gauge prices, packaging sizes, etc. so I know where to buy what, generally speaking. About half my bill at Save A Lot was pet food and bath tissue. Also picked up a few items at Dollar Tree. That is done for a couple of weeks!!

Home and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. I saw a "spot" on one of my kitchen cabinets and that turned into an hour long "scrub the cupboards" session. Got my throw rugs washed and hung to dry, cleaned the bathroom, mopped the kitchen floor, took out garbage, etc. etc.

I also got the dogs out a lot today. Lucy had two very long walks - Hope had one but I took her out into the yard a couple times as well. It was such a nice day to be outside - so sunny and almost 50 degrees!! I could have stayed out all day!

I am going to get a couple of bills paid and then relax the rest of the evening away with a magazine or a youtube movie. Happy Saturday Evening!!
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

ohjodi wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:39 pm
clemencia2us wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:54 am
I've also been asked about trying to find the parent of an adopted person or a "deadbeat" dad. That can get interesting.

The last one i tried to help, i honestly think the mom told them some lies on her part also - :o
I wouldn't get involved. Families can become upended over that.

I did my stepmom's DNA, through ancestry.com. I'm the manager of her account. I got an email from a woman, born in '78, that says my stepmom is showing up in her DNA list as a close match.....possibly as an aunt, grandparent, or maybe a cousin. The woman asked for more information about my stepmom, so she could find out how they are related. My first reaction was "how cool!" But before I responded to her I realized what a mess this could become. My stepmom has/had 5 brothers. They all lived near the area this woman was born and raised. One of them could have been this woman's father......he may or may not know about it.

Another thought is that my stepmother had two sons that were 15 and 17 at the time this woman was conceived. It's not out of the reach of possibility that one of them had gotten a girl pregnant, and they were not told about it.

I decided I did not want to have a hand in messing with peoples' lives like that.

Also, people can be very strange.........you don't now what kind of people you are allowing into your life after finding them with DNA, or just through internet investigations.

Sleeping dogs........
did anyone see the ID channel show about a man who was arrested when they got his father's Dna from accessory.com and decided. His son matched most of the criteria for a murder? I wonder what else they can do with DNA
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

ownedbydogs wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:23 am
ohjodi wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:39 pm
clemencia2us wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:54 am
I've also been asked about trying to find the parent of an adopted person or a "deadbeat" dad. That can get interesting.

The last one i tried to help, i honestly think the mom told them some lies on her part also - :o
I wouldn't get involved. Families can become upended over that.

I did my stepmom's DNA, through ancestry.com. I'm the manager of her account. I got an email from a woman, born in '78, that says my stepmom is showing up in her DNA list as a close match.....possibly as an aunt, grandparent, or maybe a cousin. The woman asked for more information about my stepmom, so she could find out how they are related. My first reaction was "how cool!" But before I responded to her I realized what a mess this could become. My stepmom has/had 5 brothers. They all lived near the area this woman was born and raised. One of them could have been this woman's father......he may or may not know about it.

Another thought is that my stepmother had two sons that were 15 and 17 at the time this woman was conceived. It's not out of the reach of possibility that one of them had gotten a girl pregnant, and they were not told about it.

I decided I did not want to have a hand in messing with peoples' lives like that.

Also, people can be very strange.........you don't now what kind of people you are allowing into your life after finding them with DNA, or just through internet investigations.

Sleeping dogs........
did anyone see the ID channel show about a man who was arrested when they got his father's Dna from accessory.com and decided. His son matched most of the criteria for a murder? I wonder what else they can do with DNA
They are now able to come up with an identifying facial profile with DNA.. Tells them what color their eyes, hair and even did a facial construction of some sorts. Cannot remember all of the details right now.. They do DNA profiles from victims and can maybe find a relative in the Codes that might indicate a close relative which gives them a place to start to look and eliminate. Fascinating and scary.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

We had to do a DNA swab years ago before I deployed. Needed it in case they had to identify us if we were killed and were not recognizable
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

clemencia2us wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:26 am We had to do a DNA swab years ago before I deployed. Needed it in case they had to identify us if we were killed and were not recognizable
I know it sounds like a good idea but scary and sad that it might come down to that.

Years and years ago when I was in grade school there was a fire at a big school.. I think it was Chicago.. a lot of children were killed and the could not identify them.. Not sure of all of the details but not too long after that our school had some kind of identifying necklace and/or bracelets made for us to wear.. The boys had an outline of a male head and the girls had the outline of a girls head. Not sure what was on the medal that identified us further.. We only wore them that one year not sure why we did and then stopped. I guess panic set in when the fire first happened.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

Maggie,
Those DNA results cover 1000, yes, one thousand years. I have records about that far back, some further, on most of my lines. My DNA results and records matched almost perfectly. There was even one for less than 1% from the Jerusalem area. I had Crusaders who went stayed and married in Jerusalem Their descendants returned to Europe.
BeckyO