Free Activities

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
BeckyO

Re: Free Activities

Post by BeckyO »

I'm an Archaeology buff so I belong to a local chapter (sponsored by the University). Dues are $15/year. The meetings/lectures are free and open to the public. We meet monthly. We have a light supper before each meeting. We specialize in the local Indian mounds. Going on tours or participating in digs only cost gas money and a packed lunch or snacks. We do car pool.

The genealogy group I attend is sponsored by the library, $20/yr, free, open to the public.

Our library has a free weekly movie night.

I belong to the local city art museum. Fifteen dollars a year dues paintings have to judged for membership. Membership includes exhibition privileges. BUT the permanent and changing exhibitions are free and open to the public.

The state art museum, and adjoining planatatrium have many free events thru out the year. The science and the history museums just had 2 weeks of free admission. The Agricultural and Science museums have Festivals thru out the year (Celtic, Polish, animated dinosaurs etc ) pick one that really interests you and do research on the subject before the festival. If it really interests you, spend vacation money to go.

we have so many universities and colleges locally that there is a plethora of athletic and cultural events, many of which are free.

I like day-trips to local , next county over or other areas of my own county. I don't necessarily pay admittance fees just do the sight seeing but, find a place to get out and walk and a place to eat my packed lunch, unless there is an eatery that intrigues me. One that does gives me a view of the Mississippi River and the barge and tug traffic. I have been known just to park and watch.

When the Farmers' Market is busy cruise thru to look at the priduce, maybe buy something that appeals, listen to the live music.. usually guitar, spot local celebrity.. politicos etc

Our local Nature Trail has free programs, use of the trails is free.
The local visitors' center has live music every Sat and a different group every Sun.

BeckyO

2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

BeckyO wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 pm
I'm an Archaeology buff so I belong to a local chapter (sponsored by the University). Dues are $15/year. The meetings/lectures are free and open to the public. We meet monthly. We have a light supper before each meeting. We specialize in the local Indian mounds. Going on tours or participating in digs only cost gas money and a packed lunch or snacks. We do car pool.

The genealogy group I attend is sponsored by the library, $20/yr, free, open to the public.

Our library has a free weekly movie night.

I belong to the local city art museum. Fifteen dollars a year dues paintings have to judged for membership. Membership includes exhibition privileges. BUT the permanent and changing exhibitions are free and open to the public.

The state art museum, and adjoining planatatrium have many free events thru out the year. The science and the history museums just had 2 weeks of free admission. The Agricultural and Science museums have Festivals thru out the year (Celtic, Polish, animated dinosaurs etc ) pick one that really interests you and do research on the subject before the festival. If it really interests you, spend vacation money to go.

we have so many universities and colleges locally that there is a plethora of athletic and cultural events, many of which are free.

I like day-trips to local , next county over or other areas of my own county. I don't necessarily pay admittance fees just do the sight seeing but, find a place to get out and walk and a place to eat my packed lunch, unless there is an eatery that intrigues me. One that does gives me a view of the Mississippi River and the barge and tug traffic. I have been known just to park and watch.

When the Farmers' Market is busy cruise thru to look at the priduce, maybe buy something that appeals, listen to the live music.. usually guitar, spot local celebrity.. politicos etc

Our local Nature Trail has free programs, use of the trails is free.
The local visitors' center has live music every Sat and a different group every Sun.

BeckyO
BeckyO, that is a great list, great ideas!

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Good thread! I am looking for free things too! When my kids were younger, there were so many free or low cost things to do and keep me busy! I was VP of the PTA so we did a lot of activities that I would also enjoy like movie and pajama night (although clean up of popcorn everywhere was a headache!),ice cream or root beer float days,library readings,carnivals,etc. We also sometimes got leftovers after an event like hot dogs so we did not have to cook the next day.

We have picnics,go on hikes,sit across the river to hear the Russian River music concerts-back then it was like 40.00 per person I think and it was too expensive and we did not stay very long anyway and just enjoyed walking around. Go to the beach-awesome and the park. Love the library and they often have magic shows and puppet sows for the kids. They offer free baseball tickets,free pizza,etc for summer reading for the kids. I would encourage the kids to read to earn prizes at various places like Barnes and Noble,library,etc and get good grades bc with school,you can earn free Mimi's Cafe hamburgers or lunch and I would get a free certificate for coffee and specialty dessert for volunteering at school. We would also get free bowling passes.

Watching basketball and volleyball has been a long time entertainment for me lately with my kids-but you sometimes have to pay fees from 2.00(school games range 2-4.00) to AAU games which can range from 5.00-10.00. We bring our food and snacks too so kids won't ask ( well they still may ask but then you remind them you brought plenty of food!). During the summers,they have theaters that show movies(although not the newest for these ones)-used to be free but now some of them charge like 1.00. With these shows they are more lenient too if you bring food and popcorn from outside. However,go very early because it fills up fast and there are like whole school daycare groups that come in large groups and even school buses!

We also used to obstacle course at the park for the kids,squirt gun or super soaker fights,hide and seek with the kids,of course,basketball and we played badminton and tennis as a family-we have not done that in along time and we were just saying we have to start that up again! Camp out at night -watch the Perseid meteor shower every August I think, it was awesome by the beach! We got a senior pass for the National parks for 10.00 I think it was and good forever now so we will be visiting parks. We like visiting lighthouses and Miwok Indian tribal areas. We like the zoo and museums in SF often free certain days of the month(but now many limitations and have to live in SF and these lines extend ridiculously like around blocks and blocks these days) also certain credit cards like Bank of America have free museum days they offer cardholders as well as Target.

Colleges have lots to offer-planetariums(oh the one out here in SF-not in college-but Academy of Sciences even have like food and dancing,etc on certain nights and I thought that would be fun-although I don't know how much that would cost-sounded fun though!). Love farmer markets esp ones near parks and playgrounds and with exotic food fare, Play backgammon or chess and set up competition,we particularly like Scrabble and headz UP and Apples to Apples. The kids have an app and play on the phone-so when all five get together they play that and free. Charades also fun. Going to the lake is low cost for us-really the only vacations we would take-we just could not afford taking them elsewhere on a plane,hotels,etc. the two time we went somewhere like 17 years ago or so we only went because we got one week stay free and only paid airfare-we had two places we got this deal and the only time we went on a family vacation that did not involve camping! I did have to sit in a 3-4 hour hard sell on timeshares-lol I knew I could not afford to buy a condo timeshare so easy to say NO for me! Colleges/schools also have musicals,concerts,plays etc which often are free or low cost.

I have a good friend who does not work and her dh is also not working due to a big tank fell on his back so now he cannot work (he was even paralyzed at one point after they put a implant in and they had to do an emergency surgery to fix it and now has to take all that out again bc causing problems-poor guy like into this many years now). So I am in the same boat with my husband,so we often look for low cost ways like hiking around the lake or just drinking coffee at our house. Come to think of it most of my friends are like one income households (or like the no income!) so they know how to save a buck and they are creative!

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Oh I forgot you can also volunteer to usher at theaters or at ball parks to get free entrance to these events. My husband does not like seeing plays,etc so I plan to do this when I am older and I want to see these plays but cannot afford it. High school have good plays too or concerts at schools. I have been trying to go and see the SF Nutcracker and the cost is astronomical so we saw smaller versions which are not the same but will do. One day that is on my bucket list! Now Preston says he does not want to see those kinds of things! And when we see Christmas Carol or something we are often in the nosebleed seats, so it is not as fun bc they are so far away!

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Oh and learning to cook from each other and also holding potlucks-I love potlucks! I used to go to my Uncle's church when I lived with him when I was younger and they had long services for hours and in the middle they would have a potluck and it was so much fun! Everyone sharing! Lol everyone I know likes potlucks too except dh's family-I would suggest it sometimes but it did not go over well,especially the first few times I mentioned it. Of course, his friends are rich and can afford to do a whole spread with lots of alcohol(one owns a brand of liquor-think some kind of tequila) and yes they do have great parties! My brother in law has magnificent parties too and no potlucks, but they have money!

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Thinking of Sheila’s library activities, I checked out a library near me - not the one I usually go to but still only 2-3 miles away. (“My” library is very small.)

They offer “classic” movies every Friday afternoon and include free popcorn and a drink. Every other week on Wednesday evening they show a newer or foreign film again with the popcorn/drink.

Once a month they have a coloring session, all materials included! It’s over for this month but I’m definitely going to check that out in February.

There are various book clubs but I’m a very slow reader so I’ll pass on that.