Free Activities

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
2dogs+someCats

Free Activities

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

In my effort to be super-frugal and only spend on necessities for the entire year of 2018, I have been contemplating socialization and entertainment and different things I can do so I don't feel completely deprived. The concerts in the park, farmers market, etc. don't start until spring of course - sooooooo...

I was reading our free local newspaper yesterday and I am very excited to find out about a new book club at my Library - within walking distance! It starts tomorrow night and the first discussion is about a short story that they linked to online - so totally free - and no driving required!

The same Library is also having free craft classes for adults! This Wednesday is a painting class where you dump paint all over your canvas and swirl it around to create your art. I am so going!

There isn't a lot going on in this small town, especially in winter, so I am very grateful for the Library and these activities. I do have a once a month coffee date with a good friend at either my house or hers - but beyond that, I don't do much. I have friends and coworkers who invite me out with them but wow, I would squander - at minimum - $20 and that is not how I want to spend my money. My co-workers are mostly "young" and do this frequently and they are the same group crying about how broke they are and how they have to charge groceries on a credit card that they can't pay off.

I hope to organize some less expensive activities like a pot luck and a hike and a picnic - but closer to summer time. Part of the problem is that people I am friends with and work with have different commitments, are at different life stages and live just far enough apart to make getting together a little inconvenient.

What activities/groups do you belong to - free or not free? Like activities at your Library, church group, book clubs, exercise group, etc.?
dlrcpa

Re: Free Activities

Post by dlrcpa »

I am actually involved in a lot of activities through the AKC dog club that I belong to. Membership is $25/year but after that it mostly bringing things to potlucks and gas to drive to events. When we "work" at an event, the volunteers are provided lunch and snacks for free (they plan this into the event budget.) We have 9 meetings/year with some sort of program following the business meeting and take turns providing snacks at the meetings also. "Events" include obedience & rally trials in Feb, herding trials in November, club booth at Virginia Scottish Games in September, and Scottish Christmas Walk (parade) in Old Town Alexandria VA in December. All fun and interesting.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

dlrcpa wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:42 am I am actually involved in a lot of activities through the AKC dog club that I belong to. Membership is $25/year but after that it mostly bringing things to potlucks and gas to drive to events. When we "work" at an event, the volunteers are provided lunch and snacks for free (they plan this into the event budget.) We have 9 meetings/year with some sort of program following the business meeting and take turns providing snacks at the meetings also. "Events" include obedience & rally trials in Feb, herding trials in November, club booth at Virginia Scottish Games in September, and Scottish Christmas Walk (parade) in Old Town Alexandria VA in December. All fun and interesting.
I think that all sounds like a lot of fun! I would definitely pay to be a member of a group like that.

One thing I do pay $25 a year for is my registration to an annual financial conference just for women. It is always on a Saturday in November and just the most educational and informative day plus a lot of good networking. The fee always includes a free book, breakfast, snacks, lunch and a lot of freebies and give-aways. I won a bottle of wine at this last one I attended.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Sheila, your library book club and craft night sound great. I love libraries.

I belong to a genealogy club affiliated with a library 8-10 miles away. There is a monthly meeting and then a lot of daytime and evening classes most weeks. I’m attending a 5-part class on a genealogy software program. There are classes on English, French, Irish and German genealogy and then specialized workshops on DNA, court records etc. I joined the club several years ago but last year missed most meetings, but this year I’m going to be active. It is $17/year for membership but actually they don’t require you to join to attend the meetings and classes. I do pay the $17 to support them.

I also meet friends for coffee once or twice a month. If we meet at Starbucks I still have giftcards (Kellogg’s and gifts). If we meet at Einstein’s I have to pay but often have a 20% off coupon.

There are more expensive things, also. I have dinner with two or three friends once a month. Usually $18-$25 including tip, no wine. And I go to a play or two during the year.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:45 am Sheila, your library book club and craft night sound great. I love libraries.

I belong to a genealogy club affiliated with a library 8-10 miles away. There is a monthly meeting and then a lot of daytime and evening classes most weeks. I’m attending a 5-part class on a genealogy software program. There are classes on English, French, Irish and German genealogy and then specialized workshops on DNA, court records etc. I joined the club several years ago but last year missed most meetings, but this year I’m going to be active. It is $17/year for membership but actually they don’t require you to join to attend the meetings and classes. I do pay the $17 to support them.

I also meet friends for coffee once or twice a month. If we meet at Starbucks I still have giftcards (Kellogg’s and gifts). If we meet at Einstein’s I have to pay but often have a 20% off coupon.

There are more expensive things, also. I have dinner with two or three friends once a month. Usually $18-$25 including tip, no wine. And I go to a play or two during the year.
Floridacat, that all sounds like money well spent! I am lucky that most of my "non work friends" are very frugal minded. My one friend doesn't mind loading up our "coffee to go" from home and walking to a local park or meeting at the Library and getting a large coffee from the Library's coffee shop for $1.25 - tax included.

Other friends - they were my closest neighbors when I lived in my "trailer in the woods" and I used to watch their dog - will invite me when they have a get-together at their house. Only requirement is "bring something to share" - so I will get something like a 6-pack of beer (I will only drink one) and take a bag of pretzels. Their get-togethers are usually only in "outdoor weather" and consist of a camp fire and snacks and music. Nice. I do have to drive about 15 miles each way for that - but money well spent - I miss that territory and those neighbors.
nbeaver

Post by nbeaver »

Libraries are great resources for all kinds of things, including borrowing movies. You could plan a movie night, borrow the movie, and make homemade popcorn to share with friends. We like playing cards or board games with friends--no money involved except if we cook dinner for them first, which we usually do--but still quite frugal. My (young adult) kids formed their own "movie critic" club. Members took turns choosing 3 movies for the others to watch with a theme of some kind (3 war movies, 3 superhero movies, 3 Tom Hanks movies, etc.) and then they got together once a month to discuss/critique the movies with coffee and snacks. My DH and I love hiking, so when we can, we pack a lunch, travel to a local trail or a bit further to a state park, and take off. I teach at a community college, so when our theater department puts on a play, the tickets are very inexpensive to me, but they aren't too expensive even for the general public. A local city (we live in the country) has a number of professional music concerts each year free or with a donation of your choice. A couple of the performances we have seen were phenomenal.