Daily Check In January 21, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In January 21, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning, just starting us off until I can grab a cup of coffee.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In January 21, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

The temperatures seem to be going down this coming week, still better than it could be but not as nice as it has been. Still I will manage to get out for my daily walk most mornings (there might be one where they are predicting cold with a wind chill to yet be factored in), I so like that early morning quiet on the streets of my small city.

Today after Mass, Hubby plans on doing some more prep work for the furnace guys. He figures the more he helps them out by doing the stuff that he can, the sooner it will be finished on the day. Probably true.

Me, well I have a few chores to do, a list to make up, and some knitting to complete (almost done the second sock). So in reality another pretty laid back day. I do need to make bread at some point today as well.

Hubby has decided not to remove the electrical heaters from the hall and two bedrooms. He figures if something goes wrong in the future with the furnace we will have at least two other rooms with functional heat. As he says this could also be a good selling point in the future, especially if someone had a little one they needed to keep warm. Not a bad idea and as we hope to not have to use them a frugal one as the electrician won't have to spend the time removing the wires.

The usual frugal happening will be occurring here today. I will be cooking meals here at home, leftovers packaged properly for fridge or freezer, and using what I have to prepare meals. I will be continuing to use up those bits and bobs of yarn as well. I should be able to start my 5th pair of socks at some point today.

Supper this evening is going to be Roast pork along with Hubby's perennial favorites of roast potatoes and carrots. I am thinking that a pie might see us through a few days of dessert (my sweet tooth is calling to me).

Today I am grateful that Hubby is getting a bit more excited about redoing the basement.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good lovely Florida Sunday morning all,

Florida temperatures are back and I am happy. Yesterday, I went first to ACE hardware and asked a lot of questions including why I wasn't getting any coupons anymore. The paint guy is smart and I learned a lot about paint additives for a couple of problem areas. But major painting is later when the temperatures are warmer. I then went on to the big Walmart for softener salt and a few other things. I put the salt in right away and saved the bag. The heavy plastic is good weed control under pavers.

Next I worked on my trellis project. I pulled the nails out of the 4x4 recycled timbers(quite a battle with some) and organized them by size. I dug out the leaves/soil in the corner holes of cinder blocks of my cinder/concrete block garden and put the chosen 4x4 in and refilled with fallen leaves, tamped down tightly, nothing moves. I know it is not permanent, but nothing really is anymore. As the leaves deteriorate, I will stuff the blocks with more. I also created my planting station/outside work bench using my old wooden door. That door is solid wood and heavy. I could not lift it up on the barrels I got from a neighbor, (his old floating dock) so I took cinder blocks and put the door corners on one then another and repeated until it was high enough to just tip the door onto the barrels. Looks nice, but needs painting. I also fixed a door that was sticking. Replaced the door plate with one with a larger hole which I had on hand. I worked at this stuff until dinner.

Today, I will do the second planter trellis and paint the 4x4 and trellis with white paint. It is supposed to stay warm another day and that should be enough time to dry. This will use up my afternoon most likely. Slow old woman.

Well, I am off to get my day started. Have a good day everyone. Stay safe.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Not much new this morning, I did get my paper. I clipped a few coupons. Then put them with the things I have for my daughter they like to go over the coupons.

This morning I need to find a missing scissors. They are paper scissors but still.

My new dishwasher is scheduled to be installed on Monday morning. I have a dentist appointment then so hopefully by the time I get home it will have been done.

Penny
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

I've been to 7:30 Mass, eaten my breakfast an cleaned up the kitchen a bit. I started a list. I need to pay the bathroom some attention and I have stuff in my dining room to put away. I want to go to the grocery and pick up a few things I was unable to get at Walmart. I will call DS1, chekc in DGS9Months and see if they need anything for his surgery for ear tubes on Tuesday.

My car needs washed, so I will see if any places are open. It is supposed to rain, but I doubt it will wash off all the salt.

Have a great day,
Maggie
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Good Sunday Morning,

I have a lot I want to get done today but I am off to a SLOW start - lots of coffee and sitting...

I did get all the cats fed, dogs have been out once and I have a pot of black beans cooking. Those will be frozen in serving size portions to make homemade bean burritos.

I did not sleep well - had a hard time falling asleep then got woke up by a cat fight in my cellar - so had to get up to let MY cat into the house via the cellar door. Then had a hard time going back to sleep. Then woke up a couple more times. Up for the day at 6-ish - and with a headache.

I have to get bills paid - I did not get to that yesterday - that needs to be priority #1. I need to walk to the grocery around the corner to buy flour and a Sunday newspaper. Other than that - I will get done what cooking I can.

On Friday I got my "big boss's" yearly vacation schedule and she asked me if I want to care for their 3 dogs while they are away. OH YES I DO - a total of 31 days at $25 per day plus a lot of extra free exercise for me walking across town every morning, afternoon and evening - yes, I can do that! Plus the dogs are all just so sweet and I love treating them and taking them on long walks - walking FIVE dogs instead of 2 burns calories for sure!

I am off - have a wonderful day friends.