What household items do you plan to buy this year and why?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: What household items do you plan to buy this year and why?

Post by frugalmom »

colonialgirl wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm
"Colonialgirl, why interior shutters? Do they provide some warmth from the cold or do you use them in place of curtains?"

A couple of reasons DG, in no particular order:
1. I love the look of colonial decorating (obviously) and so I like the aesthetic.It is something I have wanted for years.
2. We need privacy. I have open windows in several rooms and love that look but for safety reasons, feel like I need to be able to close off the view into the house at night. Our area has grown and is not as rural as it used to be.
3. They will replace curtains in my 2 of my 3 bedrooms. Country Curtains was my go to for curtains and I have some that are over 30 years old that need to be replaced. But the owners died, the kids took over and removed most of the styles I liked in favor of a more modern look and now the company has folded, as is the case so many times in these situations. I could have curtains custom made I guess - but I know they are outrageously expensive. Shutters are high too but they don't wear out.
4. The solid raised panel shutters when closed give the windows the same R rating insulation as walls and even the slatted shutters save a lot of energy. Shutters are actually the only window coverings that are recognized by the IRS as a home improvement that can be claimed against capital gains.

I figure I have wanted them all my life and since I will be 69 next month, I had better get moving if I am going to have them before I die.
I LOVE my white plantation shutters (got it from Budget Blinds)! Easy to clean too and looks clean and crisp. I wish I had bought them in the first place instead of the two window coverings I have gone through-I thought it was too expensive so went with something cheaper but by the time I went through two coverings, I probably could have bought shutters that last a lifetime! I have one upstairs in the bathroom for twenty years and still going strong!

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

I cannot really spend much this year so saving for college tuition and now my dd will be moving to apartments instead of dorm (only for freshman and not guaranteed for sophomores). So I am looking at about 500.-600.00 rent(that is sharing with 4 people) and not food,etc.! She will need furniture and she knows to look at craigslist for freebies except we will get a twin bed.

We do need a chest of drawers for us and for my son. His bottom just dropped again from the bottom-I will see if I can fix it again but it is flimsy. It was a cheapie drawer to begin with I think like 49.00 but that was like 30 years ago from kmart or Walmart. My dresser was from the 1960s that dh picked up long ago from a garage sale and top and edges splintering and we need something that would hold more. But anything that I get has to be better than the Rubbermaid drawers I am using now(17.00 fix that I already had so used it for my underwear and pajamas right now and everything else hung up). It sits in the closet. I went looking and saw about 800.-1000.00(and one was from an outlet closeout at the back of the store and I saw cheaper ones but they may not hold for about 400.00 or so. To do our closet was like 3000.00 so that idea was quickly nixed! I can live with rubbermaid type drawers for now-may have to get that for dd too.

Nothing I am going to buy if I can help it-just being able to pay the college tuition and basketball fees keeping me really tight and next year they are raising tuition and we may get less they say as years progress. That coupled with work comp ending soon like I do not know what I am going to do or if temp disability will kick in or be enough or so many unknowns. We cannot retire the lawyer said yet or they will screw us and not paid what we would have made in working years but I do not want to have nothing coming in either at least with retirement we have something coming in! Scary and very stressful for us and really we feel alone and navigating it all by ourselves-we are at everyone's mercy!).

Oh I just remember I do need to buy a dress for the wedding and outfits for the kids. I would not mind wearing the same dress I wore at my daughter's wedding,but it will be in all the pictures again so Idk if that is okay.I only wore it that once anyway!

OHHHH and I was just on an other thread and they were talking about medical so once our work comp ends we have to pay medical out of pocket for 900.00/month-OUCH! Forgot about that too-yes really tight this year!

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Oh Frugalmom, I am so sorry to hear about your difficult situation. I hope that things begin to break your way. Stay strong. You are in my thoughts.

BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

I May buy a convection/microwave oven. I gave my microwave oven to my DGD when I moved. I planned to get the convection microwave. A friend gave me his microwave when he moved. I use it almost as much as I used the one I had.. a lots. It works, looks good, I have it.. do I really need the convection oven? I have a small reg oven...,,,??? I'll keep thinking about it.
BeckyO

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I know what you mean, Beckyo about thinking about it. I think on purchases for awhile just to be sure it is not impulse buying.

BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

I even thin about minor catalog orders, sometimes for several months Some I never make but the ones I do order are useful and appreciated. It helps my bank balance, LOL
BeckyO