What household items do you plan to buy this year and why?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
littlemiss63

Re: What household items do you plan to buy this year and why?

Post by littlemiss63 »

ohjodi wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:59 pm

I'd like to get a bigger toaster oven. I have a small one, and I really love it for not having to turn on the big oven for small things like corn bread, tuna melts, etc. I'm getting rid of my microwave, because cleaning the inside of it is worse than washing pans, IMO, LOL Plus I think I"ll eat less if it takes longer to cook something.

Ohjodi, a little cleaning tip about your microwave before you toss it. About every three days wipe it out with a paper towel that you have soaked in water not enough for it to come apart, place the towel on your glass turntable for about 3-4 minutes and then wipe it down with another clean towel or use the one you put in there originally. I put lemon essential oil on mine for I like the way it freshens up the kitchen. A small dish of vinegar will do the same thing, then wipe down with a clean towel. Your microwave will stay sparkling clean and will never be a chore to clean again this is so easy.

I wouldn't want to be without my microwave, living by myself I use it to heat up my freezer meals in.

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

colonialgirl wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm
"Colonialgirl, why interior shutters? Do they provide some warmth from the cold or do you use them in place of curtains?"

A couple of reasons DG, in no particular order:
1. I love the look of colonial decorating (obviously) and so I like the aesthetic.It is something I have wanted for years.
2. We need privacy. I have open windows in several rooms and love that look but for safety reasons, feel like I need to be able to close off the view into the house at night. Our area has grown and is not as rural as it used to be.
3. They will replace curtains in my 2 of my 3 bedrooms. Country Curtains was my go to for curtains and I have some that are over 30 years old that need to be replaced. But the owners died, the kids took over and removed most of the styles I liked in favor of a more modern look and now the company has folded, as is the case so many times in these situations. I could have curtains custom made I guess - but I know they are outrageously expensive. Shutters are high too but they don't wear out.
4. The solid raised panel shutters when closed give the windows the same R rating insulation as walls and even the slatted shutters save a lot of energy. Shutters are actually the only window coverings that are recognized by the IRS as a home improvement that can be claimed against capital gains.

I figure I have wanted them all my life and since I will be 69 next month, I had better get moving if I am going to have them before I die.
LOL "if not now when" LOL

I am 67 and I bought my first and only Kitchen aid mixer last year, why did I wait so long????

Well, to be truthful, i had never thought of one, but once I did, I am so happy with it.

Please get the shutters, enjoy. :roll:

IC

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc »

Cleaning the microwave is very easy.

I put a soaking wet sponge on a plate in my microwave. I put it on high for 2 minutes. Then wipe down.

I also cover everything I heat in it. My microwave never needs cleaning. I wipe up any spills immediately.

Penny

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc »

I don't plan on buying any household items this year.

If my washer dryer or microwave need replacing I will replace then.

Penny

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

colonialgirl wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm
"Colonialgirl, why interior shutters? Do they provide some warmth from the cold or do you use them in place of curtains?"

A couple of reasons DG, in no particular order:
1. I love the look of colonial decorating (obviously) and so I like the aesthetic.It is something I have wanted for years.
2. We need privacy. I have open windows in several rooms and love that look but for safety reasons, feel like I need to be able to close off the view into the house at night. Our area has grown and is not as rural as it used to be.
3. They will replace curtains in my 2 of my 3 bedrooms. Country Curtains was my go to for curtains and I have some that are over 30 years old that need to be replaced. But the owners died, the kids took over and removed most of the styles I liked in favor of a more modern look and now the company has folded, as is the case so many times in these situations. I could have curtains custom made I guess - but I know they are outrageously expensive. Shutters are high too but they don't wear out.
4. The solid raised panel shutters when closed give the windows the same R rating insulation as walls and even the slatted shutters save a lot of energy. Shutters are actually the only window coverings that are recognized by the IRS as a home improvement that can be claimed against capital gains.

I figure I have wanted them all my life and since I will be 69 next month, I had better get moving if I am going to have them before I die.
CG, I’ve purchased from Country Curtains for years, also. I agree that after the mother died a few years ago the catalogs were never the same. But I was shocked and sad around Christmas when I went to their site looking for valances. I couldn’t believe they were closing in only a week, Dec. 31. At that point about the only things left for sale were curtain rods. Later I read that, as I recall, they lost $2.5 million in 2016 and $5 million in 2017. Very sad. I loved their merchandise.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I know Florida - I could not believe it. But I've seen this so many times over the years - for example my favorite bakery. A flourishing business taken over by kids who want to "modernize" and in doing so destroy the original product that actually made the business. You would think they would catch on.

I hope all my curtains I am using last until I die or come back in style.