What household items do you plan to buy this year and why?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: What household items do you plan to buy this year and why?

Post by colonialgirl »

IC - I agree. I am not going to go out and buy a Rolls Royce or a yacht but within reason, I am trying to get things that make me happy. I am a person who doesn't get tired of things and take care of them and my taste does not change (case in point, I am wearing a 11 year old sweater right now - ha). As we have all discussed here before, the point of frugality is not for it's own sake but to be able to shape your life with the things that you enjoy.

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

littlemiss63 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Ohjodi, a little cleaning tip about your microwave before you toss it. About every three days wipe it out with a paper towel that you have soaked in water not enough for it to come apart, place the towel on your glass turntable for about 3-4 minutes and then wipe it down with another clean towel or use the one you put in there originally. I put lemon essential oil on mine for I like the way it freshens up the kitchen. A small dish of vinegar will do the same thing, then wipe down with a clean towel. Your microwave will stay sparkling clean and will never be a chore to clean again this is so easy.

I wouldn't want to be without my microwave, living by myself I use it to heat up my freezer meals in.
It's not really HARD to clean.....I just really, really hate doing it. I usually heat a cup of water for five minutes, and then wipe it out with a Norwex cloth.

It's a big microwave and takes up too much room. I want to get rid of it, and if at some point I decide I need one, I'll get a really small one, and put it in a cabinet by my stove with the cabinet door removed, so it's like a built-in, and doesn't take up space.
ohjodi

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

colonialgirl wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:22 am
IC - I agree. I am not going to go out and buy a Rolls Royce or a yacht but within reason, I am trying to get things that make me happy. I am a person who doesn't get tired of things and take care of them and my taste does not change (case in point, I am wearing a 11 year old sweater right now - ha). As we have all discussed here before, the point of frugality is not for it's own sake but to be able to shape your life with the things that you enjoy.
Hear, hear CG.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wow. thanks for the reply Colonialgirl. I plan to get exterior movable shutters on some windows of the house against hurricanes. But it is not a high priority at the moment. But now I am thinking about the interior ones as well. :)

A couple of reasons DG, in no particular order:
1. I love the look of colonial decorating (obviously) and so I like the aesthetic.It is something I have wanted for years.
2. We need privacy. I have open windows in several rooms and love that look but for safety reasons, feel like I need to be able to close off the view into the house at night. Our area has grown and is not as rural as it used to be.
3. They will replace curtains in my 2 of my 3 bedrooms. Country Curtains was my go to for curtains and I have some that are over 30 years old that need to be replaced. But the owners died, the kids took over and removed most of the styles I liked in favor of a more modern look and now the company has folded, as is the case so many times in these situations. I could have curtains custom made I guess - but I know they are outrageously expensive. Shutters are high too but they don't wear out.
4. The solid raised panel shutters when closed give the windows the same R rating insulation as walls and even the slatted shutters save a lot of energy. Shutters are actually the only window coverings that are recognized by the IRS as a home improvement that can be claimed against capital gains.

NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:46 am
NoisyPorkchop wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:24 am
I would like a new queen mattress and box spring and frame.
I don't sell mattresses of any kind for a living ;) but after having gone through two sets of mattress (one pillow-top, what a disaster) and box springs at terribly high prices (because expensive = quality, right? turns out, no), I read the Frugalwoods blog about foam mattresses, and about a year and a half of more suffering, broke down and bought a foam mattress of Amazon for less than $350.

It's 3 years old and worth its weight in gold. No more backaches! No springs to poke me! If/when it gives out, I'll get another. Even if I replaced it once every 5 years, with it's cost I'd still be saving major $ over conventional stuff.

http://www.frugalwoods.com/2017/02/27/o ... ar-update/
I thought about getting a foam mattress too but I also like to have a heated bed pad during the winter months that I sleep on top of during the night. I like to crank it up to high about an hour before bed and then climb into a toasty bed and then turn the temp down halfway, or lower, depending on the ambient temp in the room. I learned that the foam mattress companies do not recommend the use of the heated bed covers and such as the heat degrades the quality of the mattress and they do not last. I was bummed out by that bit of news. Although, considering how relatively inexpensive the memory foam beds are becoming you may have a point when you state that you are still ahead even if you have to replace them every 5 years. I may re-think my stance on the whole foam mattress idea. Thanks!

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

NoisyPorkchop wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:24 am
I really need a new bed. DH and I have been sleeping on a crappy double bed for several years since it was crammed into, basically, a store room/laundry room and we were sleeping in there while DSD still lived with us. She moved out in November and I spent a pile of money doing the remodeling of the bedroom and bathroom. I was pretty "spent-out" at the end and had gone over-budget on the project so all we did was move our bed into the newly remodeled bedroom. Our bed is lumpy and creaky and gives me a back ache and I would like a new queen mattress and box spring and frame. But....I don't know if that will happen this year. DH just had sinus surgery and there will be copay's associated with that, and it is looking like I, too, will be having some sort of surgery later in the Spring. Which, of course, will also have it's own set of copay's and such. So...not so sure the whole purchase of a new bed is a great idea since we will be shelling out money in medical bills. Oh well, I have been sleeping on this particular mattress for over 5 years so I guess I can hang on another year. I always try to remember to be grateful I even have a bed to sleep on when I catch myself getting crabby about the poor quality of this bed.
I have to say that a good mattress would be top of my personal list. Ex had gotten a sleep Number bed when he threw out his back in about 2008. I took the queen from the spare room with me. It was quite firm. One of the first purchases I made was a memory foam topper for it once I went back to work. Well worth it to me.