the contract workforce, I am so glad tha tI am retired

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

the contract workforce, I am so glad tha tI am retired

Post by icfrugal1 »

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/23/57972087 ... -workforce

DH and i were self employed for over 25 years, so only the benefits that we could provide for ourselves.

In the 1990's DH did work for a couple of years for a job with benefits.

My last job, full time was 2004-2006 and rehired 2008 till 2013, no benefits.

At the end they did pay for some holidays but no medical, dental vision ect.

No 401k, no petition, I did put money toward my and DH's iras.

Because I had been self employed for years I was used to paying for med myself.

Poor kids,I do feel sorry for them and I do wonder, how will they survive?

How do we not understand that we HAVE to take care of everyone?

IC
Last edited by icfrugal1 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colonialgirl

Re: the contract workforce, I am so glad tha tI am retired

Post by colonialgirl »

One of the many reasons that universal medical coverage through the government MUST be enacted. Our corporate owned government will allow the worker to become economic cannon fodder to a labor market shrinking from technology and governed by the quest for corporate profit. Concern for a decent life for the working class is no where in the 5 or 10 year plans of any company. If they can save 1 cent per worker by cutting benefits they will do so regardless of the result of those cuts.

I truly think people have no idea how dire the future is going to be.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Ic, I don't know if you are being sarcastic with the "Poor kids" comment or not. I spent about 4 years as a contractor without many benefits. Most of that time I had the Ex's medical to rely upon. It sucks! I was able to put money in a 401(k), but I feel behind in retirement savings. And that is very important to me.

I agree with CG, I think health care needs to be de-coupled from employment. And it needs to be affordable. More people should be able to start small businesses without having to worry about health insurance.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

mbrudnic wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:56 am
Ic, I don't know if you are being sarcastic with the "Poor kids" comment or not. I spent about 4 years as a contractor without many benefits. Most of that time I had the Ex's medical to rely upon. It sucks! I was able to put money in a 401(k), but I feel behind in retirement savings. And that is very important to me.

I agree with CG, I think health care needs to be de-coupled from employment. And it needs to be affordable. More people should be able to start small businesses without having to worry about health insurance.
i do think she was being sarcastic - :mrgreen:

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Even though I am one of the few political conservatives here, I agree with earlier posters. I think that medical insurance tied to the employer is a bad idea. I do think there should be a basic national insurance provided by the government. If they can do medicare, there is no excuse for failing to provide for everyone.The ACA was pathetic. They do know how to do it better. Many countries have a 2 tier system (I researched it many years ago) where you get basic care provided by the government and if your want better, you buy insurance.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Dgflorida wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:12 am
If they can do medicare, there is no excuse for failing to provide for everyone.
Money. The U.S. is broke.

The Medicare tax we pay while working and the part B premiums do not cover Medicare's costs. That is why the Medicare trust fund is scheduled to run out of money - can't remember the date but not too far away.

The recent Trump tax cut along with Obama's deal to continue the Bush tax cuts for middle-income Americans (which I disagreed with) just made things worse. That's how Paul Ryan plans to "sell" Medicare program cuts.

It's just like our personal budgets. Income has to match expenses.

It's no longer my fight.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.