Daily Check in Feb 8, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Feb 8, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good morning frugal friends,

I have been ready to buy DS2 a new pair of dress shoes for a few weeks. I told him to go online and pick out a pair. Well he procrastinated. So last night we went to Dillard's and got him a pair. Not cheap, but I was prepared.

I am getting ready to head to the office for the day. I need to figure out some dinner.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in Feb 8, 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

Good early morning all,

It was a lovely day in Florida yesterday, but I spent much of it inside. Not my intentions at all. But the laundry/safe room where I want to put my new freezer just desperately needed to be re-organized. It has a lot of shelving I wasn't using well. Now it is more filled and other rooms are a bit less cluttered. :)

Today, I plan to do what I intended to do yesterday, replenish the stones around the foundation on the north side. I still have about 10 bags to dump. I got a new coupon from HD and I will use it for more stones next week. Coupons. :)

Hubs is getting much thinner. A good thing. Now it is just re-absorption of all the extra skin. His brother emailed that they are again saying his mother's time is short. But they have said that before. I told hubs he was not yet up to the trip should she pass, but I decided to push his foot doctor visit up in priority. He needs to build his endurance by walking before traveling. I had wanted to wait until the worst of the flu season was over before venturing out.

Yesterday was a no spend. Hubs did some more work on the 2017 summary and informed me we spent a lot on Amazon stuff. I waited for him to say more. Nothing. Men can be strange sometimes.

Today is the grocery store for vegetables. Out of a lot of them and I am wanting brussel sprouts. While they steam in the top, the boiling water below cooks turnips and maybe a sweet potato(a slice a day with butter). Frugal use of water and heat. And the used water cooled is good for plants.

This year, I plan to begin regularly cooking and eating outside on the screened porch. We did it a bit last year and it went well. It reduces heat inside a lot. A nice breeze off the lake most summer afternoons makes it delightful. Life is good.

I am mentally tallying winter clothes. Sweaters good. Jackets good. I think my long pants can make it through another winter. Some are a bit worn. This was an exceptionally cold winter. Not the norm. Time to wash them up and store them for summer. It is spring. Hooray.

So many places in the world are so dangerous. Today, I am grateful that I live in the USA, a land of good laws and good people. Have a good day everyone.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow fugalites,

My posts today will be a series of short ones. I meant to get on here last night but was too tired and in pain (still am in fact).

Yesterday afternoon I slipped and fell coming back from picking up the mail. As soon as I picked myself up off the ground I knew there was damage. By the time I reached the hospital I knew I had broke my wrist. The same wrist I had broken many years ago.

So here I sit, picking out words with one finger, drugged up for the pain and unable to knit, cross stitch or sew for awhile. Thank heavens for my e reader and for the android box and for all of you. I am stuck inside until the ice disappears

Supper tonight will be warmed up meatloaf along with baked beans and perhaps sliced cucumbers if I can figure out how to slice.

Today I am grateful I didn't do even more damage to myself.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

i
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
AnneX

Post by AnneX »

O Jackie:

I'm so sorry. That wrist, as well as being painful, is going to severely cramp your style for awhile - I know you're not used to sitting around without something to keep your hands busy.
I hope you don't have a huge cast that prevents you from getting your arm into your winter coats.
I did a major number on my wrist over a year ago. I sometimes used the microphone on my iPad rather than typing - some of the results were pretty amusing.

please take care and don't go out unless you are hanging on to your husband's arm.

AnneX
I
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning.

Jackie, I'm so sorry that you broke your wrist. I know it will be frustrating to not be able to knit, sew or or cross stitch. I'm glad, however, that you did not break your ankle, hip or hit your head.

Porkchop, I'm sorry that you have to have surgery but hope it will be the minimally invasive type. As IC said, we are here for you.

LittleMiss, I'm sorry about your cousin but happy to hear the good news about your brother.

It is SO foggy here this morning but I guess will clear up later. I'm hoping to run to Lowes before going to mom's house. I've picked out a new door mat for the front door. I used to get my mats at Tuesday Morning but last time I was there the selection was poor.

Today mom's neighbor is going to take dad's old wheelchair and the new transport wheelchair for someone at his church. The neighbor also wanted some of the bags of lawn stuff I was going to recycle. I'm only keeping the potting soil and Milorganite.

I got very tired working in the yard yesterday but felt good with what I got done. The allemande vine on the side of the utility building doesn't look good but I think it will come back. I'm happy that now that the big oak tree is gone from the neighbor's yard there hopefully will be few if any leaves on that side of the yard. So far I'm keeping up with the yard (and enjoy it) but when the summer rains come I may have to hire help.

Tonight the Olympic skating starts! Even though the Opening Ceremony isn't until tomorrow the skating starts today.

I am starting to think and plan for an international trip this fall. Caring for mom I was unable to travel. Most likely I'll go to the UK. I've been there twice but not for many years. My friend is going to Australia in April but I'm not sure I'd be up for such a long flight. So many lovely places to think about visiting. My biggest concern is leaving Pippi for too long.

Enjoy the day.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning everyone,

Jackie I was so sorry to hear about your wrist. Please take special care and I wish you a speedy recovery. Try not to do things before your wrist heals as hard as that may be. Otherwise you risk a longer recovery time.

I am so pleased with the figure skates and skate guard I scored at Salvation Army yesterday. They are CCM Championship figure skates, in my exact size with a cozy warm liner. When I checked online as to their worth, my jaw just dropped as I only paid $9.50 including tax. The skate guard alone costs more than that new. The lowest price I could find was on ebay for $39.99 U.S. plus shipping. These skates were more scuffed up than the ones I bought and appeared to be used more.They also did not include a skate guard. I will be donating my 50 year old pair now for sure! They have served me well, are still serviceable but these ones are so much nicer and I'll be more inclined to use our outside neighbourhood rink with the cozy lining. My feet would freeze in the other pair even with wool socks on.

Today is workout day at the gym for dh and I - frigid cold temperatures still prevail here but at least our roads have been cleared. Aside from that, I think the rest of the day will be spent catching up on the house and cooking. I've already practised the piano for half an hour this morning.

Creative