Daily Check in Feb 16

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Re: Daily Check in Feb 16

Post by rinty »

Hello Frugals,

Penny good idea re Jackies cast.

Jackie, can you get hold of one of those cast covers they give you so you can go swimming ? We picked up one at a local chemist for our DGKs when then had a cast, VERY handy for bathing and food prep like Penny says.

Clem, have you lost Bruce ? I am so sorry, he was one of the "old guard " RIP, Bruce, together now with Ralphie.

Mackie, I see you are still waiting to hear re your eye apptmnt, so sorry you still have to wait, so stressful, at least they are ruling certain things out. Hope the daschies are helping your state of mind. (((hugs))) anyway.

We've been away in a small cottage on the Devon border. its a converted stableblock and the walls were incredibly thick. Which made it very COSY on a very cold week in February ;) Its been bright, sunny and very cold all week. We had one day of horrible weather.......low cloud, heavy driving rain......so we stayed in the cottage , chilled, crosstitched, did cross words and broke out the DVDs but the rest of the week was great. Walks on the cliffs, walks in the forest and walks on the beach.

The dog is very happy !

We love the sea ( why don't we live near the sea ???) and it was great. We especially enjoyed Lyme Regis, we also enjoyed eating at some dog friendly pubs........fab on a cold day after a bracing walk.

Also loved the stars on our night walks as we were in the middle of nowhere, no light pollution and so a fantastic view of so, many stars.

It counts as frugal as February has no council tax....( a local tax paid for 10 months a year ) so we spent that amount on the cottage and the pub grub !!! ;)

Looking at the pantry/fridge we need fruit, milk and eggs and tomatoes, less than a £5 then (booyah !!!!) for next weeks shopping.

Next week lots of DS "stuff" which I refuse to think about til Monday.

Works for me .

If the next meeting is a meeting about meetings I will set DH on them in full on "I was a director of a national company and you people are imbeciles mode. "

Hashtag#youwouldn'tlikehimwhenhe'sangry

Usually he just looks at me when I tell him what is going on and says " But, SURELY........"

Plus side we have a fab social worker.

Off to do the washing (lots of muddy, wet hiking clothes and dog towels ) Contact the DDs and settle back in .

Oooh, last thing. Oldest DD bought me tickets to see a dancer from Strictly Come Dancing in a local theatre for my Christmas gift.

He cancelled as his partner was sick :o I didn't know I was at work and was meeting the DDs. The DDs got tickets to the Strictly Come Dancing Tour at Wembley in LONDON that night !!!!! LONG drive in the car, quick jump on a train didn't get home til 2.30am but it was AMAZING !!!!

(Strictly is our Dancing with the Stars, with Bruno Tonioli..........he was there as were all the stars and their celebrity partners, it was beyond good )

Love to all x
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Good morning,

DH and both had phone calls from our medical people today, DH from his heart nurse, me from a nurse about my new hip, just checking things off. One question threw me, asked not if I was a citizen, but what county I was born in????

Years ago, I was working for a neighbor at her company and I used my passport to show that I was a citizen and that I could work here, they were expecting a "green card", they were not sure about what to do with the passport. I don't know if that is a LOL or what !!!

IC
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon everyone,

I've had a very busy day! I made a dessert this morning for a ladies' dessert party being held this evening. We'll also be watching the Olympics and cheering on our Canadian figure skaters. But since it is also Chinese New Year I was also preparing and chopping vegetables all morning for our feast of a dinner at home. We'll be having spicy Mongolian beef, char siu (BBQ pork), my spicy baked tofu, stir fried veggies, Golden Pompano fish, and prawn curry - all served with rice. Dessert will be Malaysian pandan chiffon cake or buttertart square (which I made for the dessert party - can't get any more Canadian than that! I absolutely love Chinese food but it can involve a lot of preparation. But best thing ever - they'll be lots of leftovers for days to come!!

I just got back from retirement explorers and this week we had a special guest who demonstrated print making. We all had some prints we could take back home. I am not overly creative but I was pleased with my results and am happy I went.

Have a great day everyone!
Creative
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Happy Friday. I'm very grateful for my job and paycheck. Working tomorrow, they will provide breakfast and lunch. It is supposed to snow/sleet in the PM so I probably won't stay long after lunch. We have a "critter" nesting in a corner of the roof between chimney, wall, and lower roof. DH keeps checking to see if it has left (he has pictures). If so, he will put moth crystals down. The smell deters wild animals. May need some repairs there. What else is new....other repairs needed too.

Have a good weekend.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

itspennyc wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:20 am
Post by Jackielou » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:47 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I have been up for well over an hour now and am just enjoying my first cup of coffee. I had to wait until this morning to take one of my scripts. I am only to take it once a week and can not lay down or sit in a reclined position for at least an hour. The hardest thing however is nothing to eat or drink for at least an hour as well. I barely managed the hour today and am hoping that it gets easier.

Youngest DS is coming home for a visit today providing the roads are decent. I may text him a bit later and warn him that the streets are pretty bad here in the city. I get to meet his new fur baby. We also need to set up a kitty litter box and food station for her in the basement. I will need some help with that task.

Shopping yesterday was a big pain in more ways than one. As I said yesterday I was plumb tired out by the time we got home. The worse part however was that my arm and wrist ached all day.

Good news is that I actually slept in our bed last night. Of course I only managed 5 or 6 hours, and probably kept Hubby awake but I am sure things will improve.

Frugality wise there will be no spending today. I plan on packaging up some ground meat we purchased yesterday and getting it into the freezer. I really wish we could do the stock up shop at some point this month, but I think it will have to wait a bit. This means I will have to be a bit more careful when it comes to shopping so as to meet or stay under grocery budget lines.

First Friday of Lent and I hope to put an old favorite on the table. With a lot of help I should be able to.

Today I am grateful that Hubby is willing to drop me off and pick me up so I can have coffee with my friend.

Everybody have a great day, Take care.
Jackie
I don't know if in Canada you can buy plastic food safe bags without the zipper type closure. I used the gallon size ones to cover my cast so that I could do things in the kitchen without getting my cast dirty. I used this method after all of my hand surgeries until I could get my hand wet.

Penny
We can buy those types of bags here as well. My problem is more the I can not lift anything at all because of how badly I broke my wrist.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Mrscreative wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 pm Good afternoon everyone,

I've had a very busy day! I made a dessert this morning for a ladies' dessert party being held this evening. We'll also be watching the Olympics and cheering on our Canadian figure skaters. But since it is also Chinese New Year I was also preparing and chopping vegetables all morning for our feast of a dinner at home. We'll be having spicy Mongolian beef, char siu (BBQ pork), my spicy baked tofu, stir fried veggies, Golden Pompano fish, and prawn curry - all served with rice. Dessert will be Malaysian pandan chiffon cake or buttertart square (which I made for the dessert party - can't get any more Canadian than that! I absolutely love Chinese food but it can involve a lot of preparation. But best thing ever - they'll be lots of leftovers for days to come!!

I just got back from retirement explorers and this week we had a special guest who demonstrated print making. We all had some prints we could take back home. I am not overly creative but I was pleased with my results and am happy I went.

Have a great day everyone!
Creative
My brother and SIL had a student from China living with them. She was working on her master's at a local university. She wanted to make egg rolls for a party my brother was giving so that she and her boyfriend could show his friends slides from their country.. This was a long time ago...lol. Anyway Lynn (pronounced Ling) was in the kitchen chopping and chopping and chopping finally my SIL went in to see if she could help. When she saw how much work had been done and how long it had taken Lynn she showed her how to use her food processor.. Lynn was thrilled with how quickly things were chopped.. Maybe not traditional but when you making food for the masses it did help. The kids learned how to make egg rolls and they talked about.." remember when Lynn was here and we made all of those egg rolls." She made a huge mountain of them.

Your menu sounded really yummy and interesting. Kudos for all of the work you put in to it.

Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama