Daily Check in Feb 17, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Feb 17, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning Frugal Friends,

I need to check out my pillows. My neck has been bothering me for several days.

I went to the fish fry last night. It was a premeditated cheat on my diet. But I avoided fries, mac & cheese, dinner roll and desserts. I had Green beans and coleslaw as my sides. I have also decided that I am a salt addict. It is proving tough to reduce my sodium than sugar.

Today I plan to go to Mom and Dad's and do my laundry. Tonight the singles group is going out to dinner. I can get a salad w/Salmon.

I also want to shop for fabric for a Wedding quilt. The wedding in at the end of June. I need to get started on it.

Have a great day,
Maggie
dlrcpa

Re: Daily Check in Feb 17, 2018

Post by dlrcpa »

Good morning. "Slushy we snow" predicted 3-9pm here. I hope it is minimal. I can get in plenty of work hours before that. we have chicken to cook for supper. Need to think of something I can make in the crock pot for Sunday. Have a good day.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good foggy morning all,

I am fond of foggy mornings although this one is a bit chilly. Yesterday was a busy, away from home day. Got hubs his new shoes, shopped here and there and in the afternoon, went to the new bank and opened a savings account to deposit the first of several checks from mother in law's estate. We have money we didn't have before and didn't plan for. I am frugal because I like it and I believe frugal is good for the environment to reduce waste and recycle. So I have no inclination to change my lifestyle.

My poor plants have suffered from neglect this week. But the prospect of distant travel for a memorial needed to be addressed first. Today, I am home all day. Hooray.

Hubs started his pain medicine holiday yesterday. One week off to let his liver recover. He did a lot of walking yesterday and said he was hurting already. This new bank is only marginally handicapped accessible.

My across the street neighbor has her car back and she has been out shopping several times. Not a surprise. She is happy. The fence neighbor is here for a few months. She is a snowbird. Seems more of her family are relocating back here to Florida from other places. Having so many near by must feel good. And old dance partner is having fun in Mexico scuba diving. He is sending me pictures. There is a lot of happiness in the world if you chose to see it.

Time to get going on the day. Today, I am grateful that I can see the beauty of life around me. Have a good Saturday everyone.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Morning y'all --- I am, finally, back in the land of the living. We got hit with the nastiest stomach bug ever. First DH had it, then when he was on the mend, I woke up on Thursday night a week ago with it. We both missed three days of work. I went back Weds, but it was probably one day too soon as I felt horrible. Thursday was better and yesterday was "more better."

I've pretty much been reeling since my appointment with the neurosurgeon. He did not give me good news and only two options: 1. don't have surgery, learn to live with the cane, and risk eventual nerve damage and loss of function in my left leg. 2. have fusion surgery and risk having another spinal fluid leak (happened during my first back surgery 5 years ago and apparently did not heal well). He said my chances are pretty much 50/50 to have it occur again. Best case scenario is an extended hospital stay flat on my back and hope my body does a better job of sealing off the leak than it did the last time. Worst: spinal meningitis.

I have been worrying over this and trying to make up my mind one way or the other. My natural inclination is to have the surgery and try for the best possible outcome. But I gotta say...my track record when it comes to surgery pretty much sucks. There are always some weird complications with me. Ugh. My last back surgery was not a very good outcome. Besides the spinal fluid leak, I ended up with nerve damage down the back of my right leg, and it took me a full YEAR before I went back to work part-time. And now I'm five years older and not in a good place - emotionally or physically. I feel worn down, exhausted.

So then I will think, you know what, I guess I can live with the cane. Usually, I don't need it inside the house/office; it's mostly whenever I have a step/curb or uneven surface to navigate. I'm mostly healed up from my last fall, and if I can just be more careful, maybe I can keep it from happening again. But then, I woke up a few mornings ago with the piercing thought that I'LL NEVER WALK ON THE BEACH AGAIN. That made me cry because I cannot imagine that. And just like that, I was back on the surgery bandwagon.

So ...... (sorry for this long saga, please feel free to stop reading if you get tired of it...maybe you already have, which is perfectly understandable. The funny thing is, I think it is helping me just writing all this down) ...... Anyway, I think I have come up with a plan. I see the neurosurgeon again next week so he can do more tests and we can talk again. I've decided I'm going to ask him if he thinks I can put this off for 6 months or so without risking permanent nerve damage. I need to take a breath. I need to get some mental health counseling to get my head right. I need to continue losing weight. I want to check into water aerobics classes and see if I can start doing that. I need to work on myself and see if I can get myself into a healthier place in every aspect of my life. Then, I think I could face surgery with more peace.

Okay. I feel better. :-)
Patty
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I woke up earlier then I wanted to, but not too bad, about 5:15. I showered and washed my hair. I have the bottom sheet on my bed.

Today will be another dreary day. Scattered showers instead of drizzle.

The plan today is to go grocery shopping. I have a long list. I need to finish making the bed.

I will put the sheets in the washer when I get home. I have a white wash in the dryer now. I won’t use my dryer when I am not home.

I did finish my daughter’s Birthday present. I was beginning to think I would not finish it in time. I just haven’t felt much like knitting lately.

Penny
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Penny I so want to knit or sew or cross stitch and can't. Well I might have figured out a way I can knit at least one row a day. Going to give it a try at some point.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/