Daily Check in Feb 17, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Daily Check in Feb 17, 2018

Post by icfrugal1 »

chocolite wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:23 am Morning y'all --- I am, finally, back in the land of the living. We got hit with the nastiest stomach bug ever. First DH had it, then when he was on the mend, I woke up on Thursday night a week ago with it. We both missed three days of work. I went back Weds, but it was probably one day too soon as I felt horrible. Thursday was better and yesterday was "more better."

I've pretty much been reeling since my appointment with the neurosurgeon. He did not give me good news and only two options: 1. don't have surgery, learn to live with the cane, and risk eventual nerve damage and loss of function in my left leg. 2. have fusion surgery and risk having another spinal fluid leak (happened during my first back surgery 5 years ago and apparently did not heal well). He said my chances are pretty much 50/50 to have it occur again. Best case scenario is an extended hospital stay flat on my back and hope my body does a better job of sealing off the leak than it did the last time. Worst: spinal meningitis.

I have been worrying over this and trying to make up my mind one way or the other. My natural inclination is to have the surgery and try for the best possible outcome. But I gotta say...my track record when it comes to surgery pretty much sucks. There are always some weird complications with me. Ugh. My last back surgery was not a very good outcome. Besides the spinal fluid leak, I ended up with nerve damage down the back of my right leg, and it took me a full YEAR before I went back to work part-time. And now I'm five years older and not in a good place - emotionally or physically. I feel worn down, exhausted.

So then I will think, you know what, I guess I can live with the cane. Usually, I don't need it inside the house/office; it's mostly whenever I have a step/curb or uneven surface to navigate. I'm mostly healed up from my last fall, and if I can just be more careful, maybe I can keep it from happening again. But then, I woke up a few mornings ago with the piercing thought that I'LL NEVER WALK ON THE BEACH AGAIN. That made me cry because I cannot imagine that. And just like that, I was back on the surgery bandwagon.

So ...... (sorry for this long saga, please feel free to stop reading if you get tired of it...maybe you already have, which is perfectly understandable. The funny thing is, I think it is helping me just writing all this down) ...... Anyway, I think I have come up with a plan. I see the neurosurgeon again next week so he can do more tests and we can talk again. I've decided I'm going to ask him if he thinks I can put this off for 6 months or so without risking permanent nerve damage. I need to take a breath. I need to get some mental health counseling to get my head right. I need to continue losing weight. I want to check into water aerobics classes and see if I can start doing that. I need to work on myself and see if I can get myself into a healthier place in every aspect of my life. Then, I think I could face surgery with more peace.

Okay. I feel better. :-)
Thank you for sharing, and for sharing your thought progress.

I think that your idea of building strength is a good one.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Do know that you will make the best decision for you and your family.

IC
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Thanks IC, and everyone for the words of support, hugs, and prayers. It means a lot!! My job today is to call around and see if I can find a water aerobics class I can fit in before or after work. I think that would be ideal for me.
Patty
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

chocolite wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:23 am He did not give me good news and only two options: 1. don't have surgery, learn to live with the cane, and risk eventual nerve damage and loss of function in my left leg. 2. have fusion surgery and risk having another spinal fluid leak (happened during my first back surgery 5 years ago and apparently did not heal well). He said my chances are pretty much 50/50 to have it occur again. Best case scenario is an extended hospital stay flat on my back and hope my body does a better job of sealing off the leak than it did the last time. Worst: spinal meningitis.
Hi, Patti - Have you considered getting a second opinion? It has been my experience that people whose job titles include the word "surgeon" tend to promote the idea of surgery because... that's what they do. It's not like their specialty is therapy AND surgery, it's just surgery.

Even if a second opinion suggests surgery, see a 2nd surgeon, one other than the one you used five years ago who doesn't have a preset notions because of what happened last time, you might learn of some more optimistic possibilities. Some reading around indicates that dural tears/spinal leaks occur 1% of the time and so do post-surgical infections. A 50% possibility of a leak? Why?

I'd have to talk to another surgeon, for peace of mind that comes with making a decision based on a broader data set than ONE surgeon's viewpoint.
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Good afternoon,

The sun is out, the back door is open. :D

BB walked,breakfast and lunch had.

I'm cleaning by the front door, I have a TV tray there where I keep BB's leashes etc, but I've been putting :| all sorts of things on it. I've cleared it off,and am sorting though the stuff, some stuff has got out, but I'm sure that you know that it's the "little" stuff that drives you (me) nuts, trying to decide how to deal with it. :roll:

In a couple of days I have to stop taking my over the counter pain pills, :| , I'm not looking forward to that, but I am looking forward to my new hip.

The 20th I have to stop taking my RX's for the pain, oh boy :roll:

But it is all good.

IC
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Turned out to be a beautiful day

Sun is out. No artificial heat or cold air needed. Perfect

Cod is cutting grass. It was looking bad. Will weed and feed soon.

My goal is to take better care of it this year

Going to mass in a bit.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:46 pm Have you considered getting a second opinion? It has been my experience that people whose job titles include the word "surgeon" tend to promote the idea of surgery because... that's what they do. It's not like their specialty is therapy AND surgery, it's just surgery.
Yes, I'm absolutely getting a second opinion. The doctor I saw is supposed to be "the best" and comes highly recommended and that's why I went to him. Apparently he pioneered a successful spinal surgical technique. But I already have another doctor chosen and will be making an appointment there as well.
Patty