Daily Check in Feb 17, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: Daily Check in Feb 17, 2018

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by Jackielou » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:09 am

Penny I so want to knit or sew or cross stitch and can't. Well I might have figured out a way I can knit at least one row a day. Going to give it a try at some point.
Jackie
I understand, I suffered what I called knitting withdrawal after my first Thumb joint reconstruction.

I was able to knit with my cast on.

If you try knitting don't work on an already started project. I knit a shawl for my Grandmother Teddy Bear. Just a scarf her knit to be a shawl for her size, the first half looks like a beginner did it. The second half looked OK. I knit it totally in garter stitch.

Penny
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

chocolite wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:23 am Morning y'all --- I am, finally, back in the land of the living. We got hit with the nastiest stomach bug ever. First DH had it, then when he was on the mend, I woke up on Thursday night a week ago with it. We both missed three days of work. I went back Weds, but it was probably one day too soon as I felt horrible. Thursday was better and yesterday was "more better."

I've pretty much been reeling since my appointment with the neurosurgeon. He did not give me good news and only two options: 1. don't have surgery, learn to live with the cane, and risk eventual nerve damage and loss of function in my left leg. 2. have fusion surgery and risk having another spinal fluid leak (happened during my first back surgery 5 years ago and apparently did not heal well). He said my chances are pretty much 50/50 to have it occur again. Best case scenario is an extended hospital stay flat on my back and hope my body does a better job of sealing off the leak than it did the last time. Worst: spinal meningitis.

I have been worrying over this and trying to make up my mind one way or the other. My natural inclination is to have the surgery and try for the best possible outcome. But I gotta say...my track record when it comes to surgery pretty much sucks. There are always some weird complications with me. Ugh. My last back surgery was not a very good outcome. Besides the spinal fluid leak, I ended up with nerve damage down the back of my right leg, and it took me a full YEAR before I went back to work part-time. And now I'm five years older and not in a good place - emotionally or physically. I feel worn down, exhausted.

So then I will think, you know what, I guess I can live with the cane. Usually, I don't need it inside the house/office; it's mostly whenever I have a step/curb or uneven surface to navigate. I'm mostly healed up from my last fall, and if I can just be more careful, maybe I can keep it from happening again. But then, I woke up a few mornings ago with the piercing thought that I'LL NEVER WALK ON THE BEACH AGAIN. That made me cry because I cannot imagine that. And just like that, I was back on the surgery bandwagon.

So ...... (sorry for this long saga, please feel free to stop reading if you get tired of it...maybe you already have, which is perfectly understandable. The funny thing is, I think it is helping me just writing all this down) ...... Anyway, I think I have come up with a plan. I see the neurosurgeon again next week so he can do more tests and we can talk again. I've decided I'm going to ask him if he thinks I can put this off for 6 months or so without risking permanent nerve damage. I need to take a breath. I need to get some mental health counseling to get my head right. I need to continue losing weight. I want to check into water aerobics classes and see if I can start doing that. I need to work on myself and see if I can get myself into a healthier place in every aspect of my life. Then, I think I could face surgery with more peace.

Okay. I feel better. :-)
Patty so sorry to hear what you are having to go through... Wishing you the very best in making the right decision for yourself..It does help to talk about things so vent all you need to.. Also make a pros and cons list. Seeing a mental health counselor is a good idea. ((hug)) Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
AnneX

Post by AnneX »

Patty

Janet said it all better than I could.

wishing you well as you make your tough decision.

AnneX
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

We have snow! Two days ago it was( 80 F).. I love snow plus we are in the midst of the worst drought in our area for the last 40 years. So we need all of the moisture we can get. So glad I bought extra sweater vests and little insulated vest for doggie nephew to wear when he goes outside to potty. I can change him in to a dry clean vest or T-shirt in no time..

I have been doing a lot of cherry picking at the grocery stores so I have no need to go out the rest of the week-end.. Will stay warm and happy in my house and do some baking and cooking. Will make a loaf of bread in the bread machine and tomorrow will have a baked chicken with stuffing made from some of the new loaf of bread and some saved from the previous loaf. Have a good and frugal week-end.

Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Kind of a cloudy, warmish morning. We are hoping the sun comes out to melt some more of the ice today.

My sister dropped in yesterday afternoon. We had a nice visit, but a fairly short one. They will be heading overseas shortly to visit their oldest son and take a biy of a holiday. They plan on visiting Italy for I think the third time.

Frugal happenings here are the usual. It is nice though to have the extra mouth to feed. Not as much being leftover which means we have a slightly cleaner fridge. Not as much to get pushed back and overlooked. It will also be a no spend day, of which I seem to be accumulating a great many of. Guess not being able to drive myself any where is helping me with this particular challenge.

Hubby and DS plan on moving some of the heavier items back to the house from storage today. You know, the items that I will no longer really be able to help with for probably months.

Supper this evening is going to be hamburgers, homemade fries, and a salad. Tomorrow I am going to try out my Instant Pot and make our Sunday roast. Hubby bought it for me as a part of my Valentines present.

Today I am grateful for DS coming home to give us a helping hand.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Patty, I think you have made a great decision. You need to be mentally ready for the surgery.

I will keep you in my prayers.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/