Daily Check in Feb 22, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Feb 22, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning folks,

More rain, more flood warnings, more talk of the Ohio river above flood sage. Glad I don't live near it. The rain gets tiring.

Tonight after work I am going to go sign my new legal documents:Will, POA, HPOA. Glad to have those finally done.

I will go and pack breakfast and snacks.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in Feb 22, 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Thursday morning all,

This has been a week of record breaking heat here in Florida including the warmest Florida day on record ever. I had to stay inside yesterday because I had a bit of a sunburn from working outside the day before. That was ok since there was a lot to do inside.

Hubs felt poorly yesterday and wanted his shower put off until he starts his pain medication today. I hope he will be better quickly. The cauliflower crop is in and hubs loves steamed cauliflower. I hope it was a comfort food for him these last few days.

Yesterday, I bought stones with the $5 off coupon and put the bags on the south side to be dumped. It will be good to get that area under control...eventually.

I fixed the internet/phone box with the tech on the phone. Our old box included a battery backup which was failing, beeping every 20 minutes. The tech said they don't use those anymore and I could just turn it off without affecting service. He walked me through how and I did it.

Today I should be able to work outside. My pink skin should be brown now. So finish the mulching on the border bed. I only had a small area left to do near sunset, but the mosquitoes were fierce. Not worth it. Today, plant my 2 big blue plumbago inbetween the cannas. Put down more mulch in the back and start working on the stones. That is a full day or maybe two in this warm weather.

I asked a friend who is an interior designer in Houston to help me create the New Orleans style with my house. I could feel the elements were there, but not quite. After sending her pictures, she said the brickwork was too busy. Wow, when she said it, it was obvious. Well, it is really just stucco make to look like brick, so coloring it is no big deal. This is a big project, professionals required. A good use of the inheritance money.

Today, they move the wall of safety deposit boxes from the old bank to the new bank. I am a little nervous since I have a few precious things in it, but they assure me, the wall will be moved intact. I really can't do any banking right now.

Today, I am grateful that I have so few aches and pains at my age and I can be active. Have a good day everyone. Stay safe.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I seem to be having one good nights sleep followed by a couple of days tossing and turning trying to make my arm comfortable enough to sleep. Still, I am getting more sleep during the first part of the night so there is a slight improvement.

Today Hubby goes to the doctor and gets his scripts renewed (and picks them up, something that is rather rare). Means that I will be by myself for a rather longer stretch of time than has been normal for the last few weeks.

Frugality wise we are still in use it up mode, or at least I am, Hubby is slowly getting on board with the rinsing out, cutting open or swishing some water around practices. I think it was how I managed to get another 3 weeks of shampoo out of the bottle I swished some water in that did the trick.

I have some frozen ready meals that need using up in the fridge freezer so that will be our suppers for tonught and Saturday. I am afraid the menu plan has more or less gone by the wayside for the remainder of the week. Still I am using up what is on hand and my grocery bill was pretty low yesterday even though Hubby stuck some extras in there.

I did not do any spool knitting yesterday, after shopping I was tired so perhaps I will be able to do a bit today. I really need to learn to rest this arm a bit more often.

Supper this evening will be the container of beef stew in the freezer.

Today I am grateful that I have a few meals already prepared. I really should do this more often.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Morning all -
Up early for some god awful reason - although I just had a little cup of milk and hope that will put me back to sleep. I don't do mornings.

It is raining like crazy here of 2 days but that is fine with me - we need it. Happy Birthday George Washington. 46 years ago today I got my first car - a brand new 1972 Pinto. It cost 1992.00 out the door. My first job I remember my take home pay was $123.00 twice per month. Thought I was rolling in dough. My dad paid for it and I paid him back because he didn't want me to pay interest. I would not have taken a million dollars for myself when I got behind that wheel. Of course I don't know what I had for dinner last night, but my memories of that night are as clear as a bell. WTH??

Today, like most days this winter, productivity will depend on how I feel. The muscle and joint pain have been really debilitating to my productivity this year. There is a reason for retirement - I don't know how I would manage a full time job now.

Dinner tonight is going to be parmesan breaded chicken breasts and mashed potatoes and green beans . I also want to make a batch of potato soup to eat later on in the week I bought extra frozen hash browns for Texas potatoes & I need to use them up. Off to search the web for a recipe. Have a great day frugals.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Woke up to more rain, areas around us are flooded. My neighbors front yard is still underwater. Usually it is gone overnight but not this time. My creek is running hard, lot of field runoff??? I hate to think of the farm chemicals that are going into it. :(

Slept some better last night, really could have slept in but the alarm went off and that is that. :?
Chickens out and fed, dogs pottyed and I have the front entry way cleaned and scrubbed. I still have the rest of the floors to take care of but that will happen some time today, had beans soaking overnight for ham and beans fried potatoes, cornbread and cole slaw supper tonight.

Sister in law called last night and offered to do supper for dad either tonight or tomorrow night, since I had the beans soaking I chose tomorrow night. This is a very rare occurrence for her to offer ....so I said yes! I will warn dad so he can be on his best behavior....he doesn't really like her cooking but he will do okay.

I have a load of dog towels and rugs in the washer, really need to do a second load of jeans/work clothes but will wait until this afternoon.
My ornamental pond is overflowing every day with all of this rain, IF it were cleaned out (leaves) the overflow would be great, it carries any silt out. Warmer weather job....

Off to check the beans and get some more done around here.
Maggie, have you given any more thought to moving closer to your parents?
Have a great day all, stay safe, warm and dry.
JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

sounds like crazy weather all over

We had to turn on the heat here. The cold front hit around noon. It wasn't extremely cold - mid 40s. It is still drizzly. Slept okay last night.

Have a couple things to do today and hope it doesn't rain a lot. I really don't like rain.

Maybe I should move to Arizona?

Have a great day all