Daily check in March 15, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Daily check in March 15, 2018

Post by icfrugal1 »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:54 am Good chilly Florida morning all,

I sure hope this is the last time I have to drag in my potted plants. Weather is supposed to warm at least 10 days out. I am feeling a bit depressed for no particular reason. The cold weather is certainly a factor. I am pushing forward with my various projects, but despite all my good fortune, I am not upbeat.

Yesterday, I used my coupon and got pavers and plumbago plants discounted. Enough plants to do the fence. I also got 3 bags of lovely asparagus on sale at the Aldi's next to Lowe's. Ate one for dinner. Made an appointment for windows for this afternoon. It is with Lowes. Hubs really wants to go to the local dealers, but I am not wild about driving that far. Well, we need prices from several anyways and the estimate is free. I love free. Still waiting on the emailed contract from the driveway person. This is a pattern with contracts now days. They will give you a copy of the proposal, but not the signed contract on the spot. With the roof, they said it was a multipage deal and so they didn't have a copy. They did send it via email. So it is common practice. I have not confronted the handyman on his incorrect scope of project yet. I think his mother's health issues is messing with his mind. Seems like I am running around all day and then too tired at night to tackle that. I did find the ornate iron I want on the house front. I already have ornate iron columns. I just need something to soften the corner where the column meets the roof overhang. It turns out ornate iron shelf brackets are perfect. I can order them and put them on myself.Watching for the right design. Frugal idea.

This morning, I will buy corned beef and cabbage on sale at Save alot. I know it will take 4 or 5 hours to cook in the slow cooker, but it would be a nice meal for a cold night. Hopefully, the last cold night.

Hubs walked the longest way yesterday. We met a neighbor as we started out and she walked along with us. I described my intentions for the house and the insistence on aluminum windows and she said they have vinyl ones and the ones facing the sun have indeed become foggy(leaked). The warranty was no good because they were not the original buyers. Educational.

The small payout from the "IRA inside the annuity" inheritance has become a headache for hubs and his brother. I am not clear on how they are going to handle it. I suggested we talk to a professional, but so far, hubs has been resistant. He knows as much as they do. :roll:

Today, I am grateful that I am strong enough to unload the garden pavers and bags of garden soil myself. Have a good day everyone. Stay safe and warm.
I don't wonder that you may feel depressed at times, you have so much on your shoulders.

Do you have anyway to give yourself some time to do something to make you happy, even for an hour or two?

Lunch with a friend?

IC
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

IC

Agree that it helps to get out and do something for yourself.

I try to leave the house daily. I've picked up another volunteer "assignment" that will take up a couple hours a week of my time. Tomorrow I plan on helping at the library.

I've been taking my vitamins with extra Vitamin D to see if that helps.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

OMG. Praying for the people trapped at the FIU bridge collapse in Miami.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 am Good morning.

Today I’m having lunch with a friend. She invited me to attend the class where she volunteers before lunch. The school teaches English to immigrants, some new arrivals and some who have been here for years. They are from everywhere - Iraq, China, Congo, Venezuela, Haiti and (though not a foreign country) Puerto Rico.
Okay, please forgive me but as I'm reading your post about your friend's class I had a flashback to the Bill Murray movie, Stripes. Does anyone else remember at the beginning when Harold Ramos was teaching an English class to immigrants and it consisted of him singing "Met her on a Monday and my heart stood still" and the class shouting "da do ron ron ron da do ron ron" and being pleased as punch with all the English they had learned in an hour?? Please, somebody tell me you remember that. It made me laugh out loud.
Patty
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

icfrugal1 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:24 pm Good morning,

So yesterday the stables were taken out :D and now I'm using a cane instead of the walker. :lol: A little harder then it seems, my PT was showing me the proper way to bend, so far I can't bend the proper way to pick up BB's leavings.

Our neighbors were walking BB in the morning, but it really was a burden for them, they are very busy, so since my PT told me that I could start walking BB, I was able to call them and let them know I could start walking BB in the morning. Since I can't bend to pick up BB's leavings DH went with me this morning.

What a sight we were, BB, then me with the leash and my 4 prong cane, then DH with his leg braces and his 4 wheel walker. :roll:

I was only able to go 2 blocks, but I was out.

I am glad that I still have the dog walker until the end of the month for BB's afternoon and night walk.

IC
IC, hang in there! Keeping you and your DH in my thoughts and prayers.
Patty
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon everyone,

Firstly congrats to Maggie and Clem on the weight loss! Very well done and certainly not easy after one gets older than a certain age. Sorry to hear about those who are feeling blue. Been feeling a little bit this way myself or perhaps more "lifestyle envy", the term Rinty coined. Just a little bummed as it's March break and several of my friends have gone to beach resorts, cruises, etc. Still haven't been able to convince dh but at least he committed to a trip to Denver to visit our oldest dd. Completed all the travel arrangements today. Will be flying out of Minneapolis (about a 450 mile drive) and booked a fly and park hotel both going and returning. To fly from Canada would cost $2,200 for dh and I. Flying from Minneapolis $333 U.S. dollars. So even considering hotel costs much, much less. Length of trip is not a factor for us as dd is at home to take care of lawn, garden and house. With us both retired it helps too! Really looking forward to that and not feeling "lifestyle envy" so much.

This morning dh and I went to the gym for our usual workout. We both slept well so it wasn't as much of a struggle. I have free skating to enjoy at an arena tomorrow. I'm sure it's intended for the kids home for March break but I'm a kid at heart, lol! Dh is at the bank right now to receive an update of all our investments. Glad it's him and not me after making those travel arrangements this morning.

Am thinking of starting a blog - any input would be appreciated. Am thinking of using Wordpress.com

Have a good evening everyone!
Creative