Daily check in March 17, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily check in March 17, 2018

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:32 am Up early (for me) because I’m going out of town. I’ve just about lost faith in the U.S. especially today. (Wish I better remembered the 60s and Nixon years and had faith of better days.) I’m hoping this weekend will restore my faith. See you all on Monday.
hope you can relax.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Very bad sleep last night. Hubby was up at 6 knocking around, so I let him make coffee and I settled back into the blankets and managed another 2 hours almost, of blissful shut eye.

Not much happening around here today. I plan on getting a couple of household chores completed, picking out some fabric for future sewing projects (already did so with the yarn), trying to do a little tidy of the sewing/craft room, and getting caught up on a couple of small cleaning chores that are bothering me right now. The rest of the day will be spent reading my free downloaded book and perhaps doing a bit more corking while finishing off season 6 and starting season 7 of Call the Midwife.

Supper this evening is going to be a beef stew made in the InstantPot. Interestingly enough the recipe booklet I got with this appliance does not contain a recipe for beef stew. Thank heavens for Google and the abundance or recipes online.

I will check back later as I have things to get doing.

Today I am grateful for another day of nicer temperatures.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning everyone and Happy St. Patrick's Day to all who celebrate!

I've kept myself busy and out of the stores so far this morning. Done two loads of laundry, cleaned out the refrigerator (finding a few lost treasures like a small amount of extra sharp cheddar cheese), and made some chocolate no bake cookies (also known as haystacks, mud pies). Dh had wanted to run to the store to buy some pecan pie but I had all the ingredients for the cookies at home.Unfortunately no pecans so couldn't make the pie. They are certainly no fuss, limited mess recipe so that should satisfy his (and the rest of the family"s) sweet tooth. I am hoping for a no spend day today but that is unlikely as dh seems restless.

The skating yesterday was fun but lots of people , especially crazy kids on the ice. Spent about an hour there, then went with a friend to a Syrian restaurant just to try their Turkish coffee. Very strong and flavoured with cinnamon and cardamon but I liked it! It is traditionally served in very small cups as a little goes a long way.

Plan to go for a walk and need to find a way to use the kabocha squash I managed to snare at a Walmart clearance - two large ones for $1.00. Like Jackie I just did a google search and have come up with hundreds of recipes. Now just to decide which one to use!

Have a great day!
Creative
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...
High 30s and rain. No sign of any freezing rain/snow as predicted.
Out to lunch yesterday (with coupon) to watch the NCAA tournament ... because the games I wanted to watch were on pay TV.
Otherwise, a stay-at-home day (there's baseball, basketball and hockey on TV to watch). Want to make more progress on DH's jacket and do some Saturday chores before I dive back into some paid work.
Need to start shifting my bedtime/rising time, since I start my seasonal contract gig next week. (I have some concerns about this project ... but I'll give it a go ....)
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning almost afternoon. Have to get busy and put my corned beef on to cook. Later on will be making Irish soda bread from scratch using white wheat flour.. I am hoping to continue to use this flour since I do not seem to be having a reaction to it. Time will tell.

This morning I used the last whole slice of bread from the loaf of bread I made earlier in the week. There is a little bit left that has broken off from when I slice bread. I cannot cut an even slice using a knife so the odd bits will be put in the freezer with other odds and ends of bread left from other bread baking and when I get enough will make chicken with stuffing.

I am still working on the Spring cleaning in the Master bedroom. I will work on wiping down the furniture with wood restorative and then later this week use a lemon polish.. My bedroom is looking so much better and smells so good. When I make my bed today will put the lovely, new to me, comforter on my bed. I bought it a while back at Good Will for $12.00.. It is white with big pink cabbage roses and green leaves.. Very spring like.

Have a great Saturday and Happy St. Paddy's Day to those that celebrate. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Good Afternoon Everyone and Happy St. Patrick's Day. I am sitting in the library and WAS enjoying the quiet until a man and woman started talking in their "outside voices" - ugh.

It is sunny today - nice and bright. Icy cold though. I usually take winter in stride and just focus on enjoying the beauty of it. However, I am very OVER it right now.

Had a busy week that included setting up a table at a career fair out of town. Yesterday we had "carnival day" at work. I baked frosted banana bars for the cake wheel. I have some left at home in the refrigerator - so YUM!! :-) I am not a willing participant in events like "carnival day" at work. I get why they do that sort of thing but I'm not the sort of employee who needs it or wants it. Oh well, I contributed and made an appearance.

I have to go to the store for cat food and dog food after leaving here. I hate going to stores. The dogs need a long walk each and then household chores are on the agenda for the rest of the weekend. Cooking too. I am going to make a big dish of scalloped potatoes with celery and onion.

Off I go. Enjoy the weekend friends.