Daily Check in March 19, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in March 19, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning frugal Friends,

Well, my NCAA bracket is busted. The Cincinnati choke occurred again to both U of Cin and Xavier. Bring on baseball season.

DS's concert last night was very good. The percussion performed a piece that DS arranged himself.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in March 19, 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Florida morning all,

These are the good weather days no need for heat or ac. The frugal electrical days. :)

Today is phone call day. Talk to the window guy. Talk to the handyman. Meanwhile, work in the garden. I need to unload the pavers I bought a couple of days ago. I didn't know if I wanted to use them in the front or the back. Nothing feels more wasteful that moving them twice. But they need out of the car. I need room in the car for my landscape timbers. On sale through Wednesday.

I did pretty much finish the 2nd new front flowerbed. I do need to throw more mulch on the end of the fence beds, both the front one and the white fence one. That is not a one day project though. A little here and there.

Hubs walked yesterday, but didn't want to do his shower until today. He is off his medication for 3 days and usually he begins to have trouble walking by now. Rain is expected tomorrow, so a load of wash today for sure.

He checked his weight yesterday. He is not losing any and he is a bit disappointed. I admit that I am too. I really expected it to continue to drop. :(

Hubs showed an interest in sweeping the floors, so I didn't. He lost his interest in it, so I am starting to do it again. Right now, it looks like taking the longer walks is all he can do during the day. Well, hopefully things will continue to get better. I hope once he is back on his pain medication, he will be able to take a second walk during the day. That would be nice.

Today, I am grateful that hubs can walk farther than he could a couple of weeks ago. Have a good day everyone. Be safe.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning.

Maggie, Florida is out of it to so I can commiserate. I'm not a fan of FSU (rival of my Gators) who beat Xavier.

I'm back from my trip.

This weekend I attended President Jimmy Carter's Sunday School class in Plains, Georgia. What a fantastic, thought-provoking, inspiring experience. President Carter, 93, spoke for about 40 minutes on equality and living a meaningful life (which is not about possessions). He makes me want to be a better person.

It was a very long drive to Americus where I stayed. I had to get up super early Sunday morning and the 10-mile drive to Plains was pitch black. I was in the second row of the church only a foot or two from President Carter as he spoke. Security was tight. The Secret Service looked at every item brought into the church, not just a cursory bag check, and scanned each person with a wand front and back. There were about 300 visitors from at least two-thirds of the states plus Canada, England and Poland.

President Carter is an active member of the church and has been teaching his Sunday School class for years. I learned about it a few years ago in a newspaper article. He loves woodworking and made the offering bowls, big cross on the alter and some tables. It has gotten more crowded this year as President Carter said he was cutting back to two times a month from three times a month. And who knows how much longer he will be able to continue although he seemed great. Sharp, strong voice and didn't even need a cane. He did sit in a chair (rather than stand) after the regular service for photos. (I had my picture taken with him.) Rosalyn had major surgery last month and wasn't there. He gave us an update on her recovery.

A few years ago I read his memoir about his boyhood so wanted to see his boyhood farm a few miles outside of Plains. I did that on the first day when I arrived. It's part of the National Historic site. I visited Plains years ago with mom but didn't see the farm.

It would have been less tiring to stay two nights but I didn't want to leave Pippi too long since I'm planning another overnight trip in about three weeks. Traffic was bad on the way up but better on the way back (different route).

Today I'll relax.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

I was up a lot thru the night :? potty breaks all night long....should not have had that diet coke :( I usually sick to water but ....it was there and I didn't resist it's siren call to me....bummer

Hens are out, fed , watered and seem happy enough.
I have a load of laundry done, racked and hung. Next up is shake and clean rugs and mats (mud season) and then do floors. I need to put color on my hair so maybe I will do that first and let it marinate while cleaning.

Need to boil eggs and chop salad, supper tonight is steak, baked sweet potatoes and salad...the ubiquitous corn for dad. I will stick to small serving of steak and salad...slowly taking off the muffin top. Winter sucks.

Today is supposed to be the pick of the week weather wise. It is sunny and cold right now but might warm to 50's.
Sap gathering has ended, spiles are in the dishwasher to be cleaned for next time, garage is a mess again...it's on the list but I am not holding out hope for it to be cleaned for another week or so. No drive/motivation.

Off to get busy or into trouble, it seems to find me whether looking for it or not 8-)
Have a great, safe and appreciative day all.
JCKitty
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning,

Hubby is slowly getting over his head cold. He has been sleeping on the couch the last few nights to keep his head propped up and so he doesn't wake me with his snores and flopping. He told me he slept well last night and was feeling rather better this morning, so hopefully he is on the mend. This has been a bad winter for him and colds. I hope his sinus surgery didn't actually make things worse for him as far as not being able to fight off every little cold bug that comes his way. Time will tell.

Today is supposed to be the last day of winter, but you can't tell by looking at the weather forecast for the Willamette Valley. It looks like it will be decent today with early morning fog that will burn off later today and tomorrow, the first day of Spring, will be a nice one with very little chance of rain and highs in the 60's! Then...the rain sets back in for the rest of the week :x . Darn it all, I have to work this afternoon so my plan is to clean the house before I leave for work and I guess tomorrow will be the only day I will have to get some more yard work done. The garbage gets picked up tomorrow morning and this week is a green yard debris pickup so my big can full of leaves and moss and debris will be empty by mid morning so I will be able to get out and load it back up with more leaves I have piled up in the back yard. I want to get out and look at containers for my tomato plants and pick up a few flats of flowers for my pots on my front porch. I have so many plans but the weather doesn't like to cooperate! Oh well, I can only do what I can do.

I need to take a look at my recipe books and put together a menu plan for the week and look over my budget ledger to make sure it is up to date. Small things I will do on Wednesday when it begins raining again and I am stuck indoors. Well, I am off to take a shower and tidy the house before I go to work later this morning. Take care!
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I was able to sleep until after 6 am. I already have the trash out. I have 2 bags. I plus I have put out one of the cartons I got this today.

My sheets from changing my bed yesterday are in the dryer. I started the wash when I got up this morning.

This week I plan on cleaning and oiling my daughter’s sewing machine. I have it on a folding table so that I am still able to use mine if I need to. I can’t fix the problem with the needle position. I was able to figure out how to over come this. I will be marking the machine. I have already adjusted the tension. Since the cams are nylon I don’t know if parts are available or if is worth the expense of having it repaired. This machine was my Mom’s. She burned out the motor I had that fixed.

I am making a lot of progress on decluttering, there is still a long way to go.

Penny