Cracked phone screen

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
delighted99

Cracked phone screen

Post by delighted99 »

This will be the 2nd time in 6 months that I have cracked my phone screen after dropping it. After shopping around a bit the first time, I paid $80 to replace the phone screen at a local cell phone repair shop. The phone retails at about $130. I'm on a no contract plan with Virgin mobile.

I may just see if I can live with the phone screen the way it is for another year? Has anyone done this successfully? It is just one crack across the upper right hand portion. And it had an Otterbox case on it.
delighted99

Re: Cracked phone screen

Post by delighted99 »

delighted99 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:34 pm This will be the 2nd time in 6 months that I have cracked my phone screen after dropping it. After shopping around a bit the first time, I paid $80 to replace the phone screen at a local cell phone repair shop. The phone retails at about $130. I'm on a no contract plan with Virgin mobile.

I may just see if I can live with the phone screen the way it is for another year? Has anyone done this successfully? It is just one crack across the upper right hand portion. And it had an Otterbox case on it when it fell and landed on concrete.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Wow - the otterbox didn't protect it!

I got one because I once dropped my phone on my hardwood floor and it cracked!! Couldn't believe it. The floor isn't really hard.

So otterbox from then on.

I"ve seen people with cracked phone screens that still use them. The COD's screen has been cracked for months. Still works.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

delighted99 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:34 pm This will be the 2nd time in 6 months that I have cracked my phone screen after dropping it. After shopping around a bit the first time, I paid $80 to replace the phone screen at a local cell phone repair shop. The phone retails at about $130. I'm on a no contract plan with Virgin mobile.

I may just see if I can live with the phone screen the way it is for another year? Has anyone done this successfully? It is just one crack across the upper right hand portion. And it had an Otterbox case on it.
My dd tends to crack her screen too-luckily I get new to me cells for free! In fact,getting two since dh dropped his cell. Thank goodness for my brother who gives them to me (head of IT dept). But what I did want to say is IDK if it is true or just my thinking,but when it is cracked, wouldn't radiation or something leak out or be more of an exposure risk? That is what I worried about. So I would check into that aspect. I want to be sure my frugal forum friends are safe! :)
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Yes, like you I bought that Otterbox after the 1st incident. Now I will say it cracked but did not shatter. So I think it could've been worse.
clemencia2us wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:20 pm Wow - the otterbox didn't protect it!

I got one because I once dropped my phone on my hardwood floor and it cracked!! Couldn't believe it. The floor isn't really hard.

So otterbox from then on.

I"ve seen people with cracked phone screens that still use them. The COD's screen has been cracked for months. Still works.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

I appreciate you thinking of my safety. I opted to get a screen protector for what it's worth. That way if I drop it again, it may be less likely to shatter. I really don't think the radiation risk is understood.

That's neat how you get those cell phones coming your way. Maybe I'll put out feelers to see if anyone in my circle is thinking of getting rid of theirs! I'm just reluctant to get used to a new system though. Decisions!
frugalmom wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:00 am

My dd tends to crack her screen too-luckily I get new to me cells for free! In fact,getting two since dh dropped his cell. Thank goodness for my brother who gives them to me (head of IT dept). But what I did want to say is IDK if it is true or just my thinking,but when it is cracked, wouldn't radiation or something leak out or be more of an exposure risk? That is what I worried about. So I would check into that aspect. I want to be sure my frugal forum friends are safe! :)