Tragedy and a saving grace...

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Sandy

Tragedy and a saving grace...

Post by Sandy »

My son was on his way home at 4 a.m. this morning. At our driveway lay a dead Opossum. Sadly, it was one that we had been feeding for months (it had a distinctive mark on the right side that looked like an old healed bite). He goes, "Momma, it's a female and I can see babies in the pouch!" I had been following "Possum Advocates" for a year or more and talking to him about it or neither of us would have known to check for a pouch and babies with Opossums killed by cars.

I grabbed a warm towel from the dryer, a box, flashlight and trotted down the drive to the main road and met him at his truck. Thank God these babies aren't newborns although they still need help. I got all nine from the pouch into the box, covered with the towel and after getting back in the house began to call animal rehabbers. This is the picture I took before the rehab lady came at 9 a.m. to pick them up and one she sent after getting to her home.
delighted99

Re: Tragedy and a saving grace...

Post by delighted99 »

What a fascinating story. I didn't know opossums even had pouches. Thanks for helping these guys out.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Aw, they are so cute.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

delighted99 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:26 pm What a fascinating story. I didn't know opossums even had pouches. Thanks for helping these guys out.
It was quite an experience! Did you know that possums don't nurse?
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:34 pm Aw, they are so cute.
They are for sure. Their pink is SO pink and their white is SO white! And clean! Possums groom themselves just like a cat!
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

God Bless you and your son !