Daily Check in April 18, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in April 18, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

The sky is leaden this morning, however the storm did not hit us very hard. We have a small amount of snow on the ground, but I think we mostly got rain.... Which could be icy, but from the looks of the roads is still in liquid form. Just hoping the city youngest DS lives in was as lucky.

Today is full of appointments. First at 9 this morning I am at the hospital for PT. Later, at 12:15 is my appointment with the bone guy. I need to go earlier to have x-rays taken again of my wrist and hand... Hmmm, pretty soon this left arm of mine is going to be radioactive if the x-rays keep up.

Once home I plan on finishing off some baking (need to get the muffins with dried cherries made), and watch a bit of TV. I am giving my wrist a bit of a rest from knitting as the last couple of days have been pretty painful. I think I overdid a session of knitting at some point. Since the day is so dreary I won't be sewing either, so while listening I will pot up the Moonflowers and set some more seeds to soak. It looks to be awhile before we will actually get the chance to plant anything outside. I may also pull out some regular embroidery to see if I can work on that for a bit. I don't think I will be able to do any cross stitch today as it is so darn grey out.

Frugally speaking the driving back and forth to the hospital is going to be a pain. I will be using up fuel but that is something I will have to get used to at least until the doctor and therapist let me off the hook. Unless there is some way I can set up appointments to be one right after the other I will be making two trips to the hospital.

Meals will continue to be made at home with items I have in stock. I have a shopping trip tomorrow (thank heavens it's to one store only for a change) and will be carefully going through the flyer for the best buys. Many times I think that perhaps I should travel among the three grocery stores here like many of you do and then realize I would probably spend more on gas than my savings are worth. I also feel my time is worth something as well.

I made a rather large pot of meat sauce last night so some was placed in a container to use with baked spaghetti tomorrow night, and some in another container put in the freezer to be used at a later date.

Yesterday morning my friend gave me some celery, for some reason her husband ( and the more I think of it her) figure it will spoil in 5 days. Mine usually lasts over a week in the crisper, sometimes 2. Oh well, free is a very good thing, perhaps some cream of celery soup is in order today for our supper (soup is on the menu).

Not sure if I will be going for a walk, but the halls of the hospital and the busy parkinglot will give me a bit of exercise today.

Of course the usual lights off, doors shut to rooms not in use, filling the oven when using it and all those other little things we frugalistas do without thinking will be taking place here.

Supper tonight will be soup and sandwiches, just not sure what kind of soup as of yet. The sandwiches will be egg salad (lots of eggs in this house right now).

Today I am grateful that each day I can do a bit more. I don't think I will ever get total flexibility back, but I just want to be pain free and able to do the things I love to do.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning

It is kind of overcast but since we are expecting rain at the end of the week, not unexpected. Not cold though.

Getting ready to go out for breakfast

Had an interesting day yesterday. Had meetings with two very differnet groups. First was my church group. Trying to help with a project, but darn getting even started was an accomplishment. They lose a paper and spend time looking for that. Left other papers at home, so have to have new ones sent and on it goes. For a bit i just put my head on the desk. Not much got done in two hours.

Then next group - got things going and done in no time - we spent more time reminiscing. old Classmates. Had to switch gears there. :mrgreen:

Hope all have a great day
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello all,

Not sure what happened but yesterday's post got cut off... you all got the gist though about the dislocated shoulder.

Other thing was that 2 rooms (boys' room & laundry room) in basement were flooded, EVERYTHING possible was pulled out of those rooms and is now piled in rest of basement -- dh is highly disgusted at the quantity of STUFF piled around (most is clothes for girls to grow into, then my fabric & yarn stashes -- plus boys' stuff from their room). We are trying to dry boys' carpet, but the foam padding and carpet tack strip have been removed, too moldy. That tells us this wasn't a weekend thing, but had been there for awhile.

I was supposed to substitute teach on Monday and Tuesday both (had accepted Tuesday subbing job about 20 minutes before my should dislocated); I was very disappointed to have to give them up, but I didn't miss the work as I hurt sooo much yesterday. I do have a subbing job on Friday that I plan to keep as it's only for 3 class periods -- I'll be seeing ds15 this time (I think).

I need to eat breakfast, but nothing sounds good, not even my usual kefir protein shake or poached eggs. Not sure on dinner either, I think a crock-pot meal would be good, as cooking with one arm is not easy.

Today's chores are work on getting Ds15's wrestling stuff caught up, work on Dh credit program refunded, and maybe wash a window or two -- that I can handle one-handed. I need to feed cats too.

My whole left arm plus shoulder blade hurts soo much... even 800mg Ibuprofen only cuts some of the pain. Or maybe it's because its been over 5 years since my shoulder dislocated & I've forgotten what this feels like (dd5 was 2 weeks old last time) -- Dh did say that it was out differently so it stands to reason that I'm feeling pain in different areas.

Today looks like it will be sunny, good thing one weather app said it was 19F at 6:30am, and another said it was 27F -- both were right, it was COLD!! It was 34F when I took ds10 & dd7 to school 40 minutes ago. Yesterday we had several light skiffs of snow falling, nothing stuck to the ground, but it was cold & windy all day (so I'm sorry for everyone East of Utah). I just hope that the apricot blossoms didn't all freeze. :(

Today I'm thankful Dh and my friend were both able to come quickly to help me... I'm not sure what I would have done if they hadn't come.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Gayle sorry to hear you are in so much pain and have so much to deal with.. Take care.. ((hug))
We are having a wind storm.. no rain just high winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 50 mph and the temp will be dropping lower as the day goes on. I stripped my bed and washed the sheets and also the one that I keep on my recliner due to doggie nephew. Anyway my aide helped me hang the sheets on the clotheslines in the garage and should be finished drying in no time. Not much else going on except cooking.. Cooking from scratch really takes up a lot of time and energy and that is my main focus right now.
Have a good rest of the day everyone.

Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon everyone,

This morning dh and I went for a 6 mile walk. Dd needed her laptop for work (and didn't think she would) so we dropped if off for her while taking our walk. The hospital she works at is about a mile from our home.

New infrastructure is going in our neighbourhood - fiber optic telephone wires to be specific. The construction noise and drilling gets to be very irritating so that is one reason we went for our walk. A little escape from all the noise and chaos! The high pitched drilling noise is especially annoying. I'm really surprised they're doing this work now with the ground still being frozen. We have a very deep hole in the middle of our paving stone driveway. The driveway was only put in about 3 years ago so dh wasn't too happy about them removing the paving stones. Apparently after all the work is done, a professional landscaper is supposed to come to repair the damage. They also drilled a 5 foot hole beside our mature flowering crab apple tree. All the roots are exposed and yet they maintain this will not damage the tree. I sure hope not! You can't just go about replacing a mature crab apple tree. We checked with our city and property owners have no choice but to allow the updating.

I cleaned out some kitchen cupboards as well this morning and could get cleaning some bathrooms this afternoon if I feel ambitious. Weather here today is feeling more seasonal but still very windy.

Have a great day!
Creative
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

jckitty wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:11 am Good morning all,

I finally got sleep last night, took 1/2 of Tylenal PM and am finding it hard to get completely awake.
I lost one of my oldest hens over night, my silver laced Wyandotte named ...get this, Barbara Bush. I had named her that because of her coloring and because her feathers looked like the pearls the former first lady was famous for. RIP both Barbara's. Not trying to be disrespectful to the former first lady, just think it is odd.

It is supposed to get sunny today but so far grey and gloomy. I have plenty of chores to keep me busy, when I find my get up and go...this weather is really getting to me.

Flounder for supper tonight, will make some potato salad and bacon ranch pasta salad to go with it, need to come up with a veggie....maybe breaded tomatoes.
Off to get busy, maybe if I move around it will get me on the right track.
Have a great, safe and appreciative day all,
JCKitty
""""I lost one of my oldest hens over night, my silver laced Wyandotte named ...get this, Barbara Bush. I had named her that because of her coloring and because her feathers looked like the pearls the former first lady was famous for. RIP both Barbara's. Not trying to be disrespectful to the former first lady, just think it is odd."""""

No disrespect, I'm sure that if the first lady had a sense of humor that she is laughing.