Daily Check in April 20, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in April 20, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning folks,

I had some trouble sleeping. Woke up about 2:00 AM. I know I was still awake about 3:30.

DS got information to fill out applications for University housing. So I will be paying that deposit today. Food plans start at $1900 per semester. He will have to be in the dorm for 2 years.

Have a great day,
Maggie
AnneX

Re: Daily Check in April 20, 2018

Post by AnneX »

Good Morning

Can this be the start of spring at last? The sun is shining, the temp is just below freezing but going up. 2 week forecast indicates lots of sunshine and no snow and no below freezing temps. hope the snow on the ground right now melts quickly.

yesterday was a sociable day. i went to dancercise, then lunch with a couple or others, followed by book club at the library, and then coffee with several book club members.

Today I have my hospital volunteer shift this morning. Will buy a few groceries on the way home and get some walking in.

I may invite my friend over for supper and tv this evening.

Take care,
AnneX
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

A bit grey this morning, but I am hoping this improves as the day progresses. I can see streaks of pink, orange and purple in the sky so the sun is trying to get out. Temperature wise right now it is right at the freezing point so once again we should be able to hit those double digit temperatures as we did yesterday.

I took my weekly medication and now have to wait for an hour to have my coffee or anything to eat. It's the coffee I miss the most while typing as I make so many silly errors without it.

Youngest DS should be home around noon today if not a bit sooner. I think he will be put to work right away painting. I do believe Hubby wants to get as much done as possible while he is home. While the reno is taking shape quickly there is still chair rail to make, painting the chair rail, cementing a couple of areas (where Hubby dug down to place floor jacks) in the floor, putting down the flooring, painting and placing the floorboards, and then doing the staircase.... I do hope most is done before outside work starts up again.

Today I plan on finishing off some baking of treats (got an idea on using that sheet of puff pastry up), pull out the turkey and pie for tomorrows big belated Easter meal, and keep right on doing one set of exercises three times a day and the newer strength building exercises once a day (got to work on increasing the number of sets of each exercise in this one, the first is more of lengthening the time holding the position... if that makes sense).

I hope to get a couple of walks in as well. The fresh air does me good and I manage to sleep a bit better over all. Though last night was more of a toss and turn night.

Frugally speaking meals will be made here at home from items on hand, I am going to give my bread machine a thorough cleaning, lights will be off in rooms not in use, continuing the use it up mantra from last year and have now added a no waste mantra to this year.

I have some clothes to cut into rags, but first zippers, buttons and anything else that can be used will be removed. I also have some mismatched socks that I am considering cutting into rings to be used to tie up plants in the garden this year...We shall see.

I hope to do a bit of knitting today and perhaps some embroidery as well. I have a few regular embroidery projects that I would love to finish.

Supper this evening is going to be breakfast for supper. It was supposed to be tuna casserole, but as DS really doesn't like tuna and we never have meat on Friday (if I can help it) pancakes sound pretty good.

Today I am grateful that the weather seems to have changed finally. I am keeping my fingers crossed though.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Friday morning all,

I think my car is leaking gas. I will be going outside to confirm it later when it is a bit warmer. I am not sure that there is a smell, but we had a 2005 chevy and it did the same thing that I think is happening here. Leaking at the fuel injectors. I have decided that is enough. When they fixed the transmission problem on my current car, they never really got it right and it makes me feel unsafe never sure when it will go out again. Hubs is annoyed with it too when I drive him to the doctors. My current car is a 2010 cobalt that I bought via the internet, used, a great deal. It has 56,000 on it. I only put 20,000 on it. So I am going to buy a new car. I will see what is available over the next several weeks. I will probably have to have my car towed in, a leaking gas situation is not drivable and we have towing insurance. Normally, I would be looking at a used car and I may, but the new safety features please me and I want them. Although I can drive with my macular degeneration vision, I want the extra safety. I figure this will be my last car and I intend to keep it 10 years. When I hit 80, I am not sure I will want to drive. I told old dance partner that I was ready for a new car and I would probably decide within a couple of weeks. It takes him 6 months to decide and then he complains that he made the wrong choice. He hates me for making decisions so easily. He didn't want to talk to me any longer this morning as a result. I might get the car that he really wanted, whatever that was. :?

I have been frustrated with this car because I now live in the country rather than the city and I need more hauling capacity. Hubs doesn't drive anymore, so there will not be any conflict there. My decision completely. At least, I hope.

I haven't heard from the handyman regarding the porch repairs. I will probably have to call him and find out what the problem is. I also haven't heard from the driveway guy or the floor guy. It looks like those things will be pushed into May. :roll:

Hubs reached his weight goal yesterday and we celebrated with a low carb beer and steak. The steak was not very good. Educational. Today, he starts his pain medication and he hopes to start walking again. He says this has been a good week without medication compared to other times. He is still walking in the house and that is good.

I bought eggs yesterday. I assumed they were cleared from recall. Nope. I have the bad ones. :x I will have to take them back and get a refund and hubs will have to eat walnuts for breakfast again.

Nothing especially frugal today, other than the normal things. Well, the car situation is a downer. I don't like a broken down car. I always feel taken advantage of by repair people. My sons come to visit next week and I will have a rental car most likely. Today, I am grateful that we can afford to buy a replacement car.

Have a good day everyone. Be safe. Be warm.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I have a dress wash in the dryer. I made blueberry oatmeal muffins for breakfast. Breakfast was the blueberry oatmeal muffins I made.

The trash and garbage is gathered and out. Yesterday I tried to take out recycling but it was just too windy, strong winds effect my balance. So they didn’t get in there.

When the washer was spinning it knocked a package of napkins out of the Milk crate onto the floor between the washer and the laundry closet door. It took of lot of figuring but I was able to get it out. Then I could transfer the dresses to the dryer.

I need to cut yarn for the dolls hair today. All 6 dolls are finished except for their hair. Making the hair isn’t difficult I just need to get started. So far I am very pleased with the dolls.

Penny
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Getting ready to go out to eat!

It is overcast and cool. Well not that cool. Just hope it doesn't get warmer. Think we are expecting rain.

Ugh - my big dog scratched me across the face. I was trying to pick him up. He gets lazy and just won't stand up when I need him to move. He rolls over on his back with all four legs up in the air. His paw came across and got me. Glad he missed my eye! One reason I do not like big dogs. I can't pick him up if needed. I can, but it takes effort. I don't want to hurt my back either.

Anyway, will see how this day goes.

Have a good one.