Great Frugal Story

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Great Frugal Story

Post by colonialgirl » Sun May 13, 2018 4:50 pm

I am not saying that it is not expensive Jodi. And the increases are incredibly large. What concerns me more though is the current move toward anti intellectualism in this country. The pervasive movement that conflates education with elitism and snobbery. The propaganda created mindset that sets up a "them vs us". It is a move toward getting the populace a whole to be proud and satisfied with their lot in life rather than trying to improve it. It is a move toward creating a permanent underclass.

Education is a universal good although it may have it's flaws. Knowledge is always better than ignorance. And knowledge is more than just training for job. It provides not just facts and training but the basis for using critical thinking and from that comes discovery and understanding.

I don't think education makes you better than anyone else, please don't misunderstand. And of course there are the examples of highly intelligent, motivated and uneducated people making it to the top of various fields, exceptions though they usually are. But how many of those people want their children to go without higher education? How many parents look at doctor and the guy filling the holes in the road with asphalt and think, I hope my kid makes the latter choice? Neither of my parents went to high school, because they had to work and support their families. But they both revered education and sought it for all their children. It was the opening to the opportuities to a more financially secure and better life.

Heloise

Post by Heloise » Wed May 16, 2018 1:10 am

I guess so long as there are people who are brainwashed into believing that all donated monies will be used 100% in their entirety, for the sole purpose for what they were intended to be spent on, we'll continue to see people throw their riches away to subsidize and support the fat-cats of society.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:39 am

floridacatlover wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:55 pm
96-Year-Old Secretary Quietly Amasses Fortune, Then Donates $8.2 Million

A saver, but helped along by being a savvy investor. Love it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/06/nyre ... v=top-news
WOW!!