How many retirees on here follow the 4% rule?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
BevMoore

Re: How many retirees on here follow the 4% rule?

Post by BevMoore » Sat May 12, 2018 12:30 pm

It's all about living frugally. When I embarked on this journey in the mid 1990's we were in debt and living in an area we did not like. I took the bull by the horns and started cutting expenses one by one. The first thing I did was ditch the commute by car and started using mass transit. My employer subsidized this so our cars lasted longer, we reduced our insurance, gas and parking. That saved $500 a month right off the bat. Using coupons, no eating out, cooking from scratch. When we decided we would be able to sell and move I knew the only way we could make this happen is to do all the home repairs and sprucing up ourselves. I learned a lot about home repair and maintenance. Since this was before the days of U tube I got my information by calling people who knew how to do these things.

Each year I have saved money and used it for a major home improvement. not so much the past couple of years, I have relied more on elbow grease. The past few years I have become more lax in my spending so I am trying to rein that in. I want to pay off my house and vehicle.

My retirement would not have happened as soon as it did without living frugally and living below my means. It is so ingrained in me now that I am not comfortable unless I am in frugal mode.

Bev

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:53 pm

rinty wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:22 am
DH has 2 great private pensions and get the statutory old age pension..well, he has worked for 50 years !!!! I will get the statutory OAP and I have a private one that will yield me a MAAAHOOSIVE £3K a year extra. Meh.
Rinty,

What is the statutory age pension and statutory OAP? Rather, tell me about them please?

rinty

Post by rinty » Mon May 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi Gayle

DH stat retirement age was 65 and he got an enhanced pension cos he was a good earner, its around £9k, my retirement age has been pushed up, its 67 now ( boooo !!! it laways used to be women could get their pensions at 60 ! ) I will get my private pension at 60 though. I won't qualify for an enhanced pension , I'll get around £7K plus my private one. DH has a very good private pension as well ; )