Daily check in May 13, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily check in May 13, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:06 am Happy Mother's Day to all of you who are Mother!

I will be planting my apple trees and strawberry plants. It is going to be a scorcher of a day and may break the record in the mid 90's. Due to my energy level being low I am thinking of planting some of the strawberry plants in some of my terracotta pots and earth boxes.. and hope for the best. I have tried the strawberries in the earth boxes before and did not have much luck but think it was due to not using the coverings like they suggested and left the boxes open. I have a water drill that will dig the holes for my trees but due to the excessive heat I might have to do it in stages ie partially dig the holes and rest a lot.. Anyway things will get done. Have a good day and enjoy your time with your families. Janet Alliesmama
Thanks for the happy mother's day Janet. I hope to spend the day outside doing.

Have fun planting your trees and strawberries.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

The sun is shining and there seems to be very little wind. It looks to be a lovely day and I am hoping to get a bit planted up today, but we shall see.

I really have done no work on my various crafty type projects and need to get back to them. I have been having too much fun winding up yarn using the yarn winder. I have a few balls left to do in my basket. I am loving the fact that this method takes up much less room in the storage drawers I have for my yarn. Eventually most of my yarn will be done this way I hope.

Frugality wise the same old, same old will be happening here. We have a salad leftover from supper last night and it will be used in todays meal. I will be walking for my daily dose of exercise, and hopefully exercising my arm a bit by getting started on my planting for a bit. I don't have enough soil to get it all done, but I can get a pretty good start on it.

Other than the walk and a bit of work on the chore list, everything I plan to do outside will need to wait until youngest DS leaves at some point this morning. He mentioned something about coming home next weekend as well. We shall see, the cost of fuel is crazy and we want him saving money as well since he has taken on car payments.

Supper this evening is going to be a pork roast with roast potatoes and roast carrots. We will use up the leftover salad as well.

Today I am grateful for another beautiful day.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:29 am
I'll mail the Anniversary card to my cousins tomorrow. I got them a gift card to the local performing arts center (in an old historic theater) so don't want it to get lost at the party. I've never been to that theater but mom talked about going there a lot back when it was a "movie palace" in the 1940s. I still want to go to the historic theater in my area (Tampa Theater) and will suggest that to my friends this summer. LWolfT got me on the historic theater kick when she went to one a few months ago.
Happy to help! :D
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning!
Sunny and still summery here. (KItty, I see it's still cooler up your way.)
Did get my grocery shopping in yesterday ... am annoyed with Aldi ... they aren't carrying the TP I was buying. What they do carry at the same price now is 100 sheets less per roll.
Anyway, did manage to find some tomato plants and some flowers for the front garden. Got the flowers planted, then spent time clearing the yearly rock harvest out of one of the veggie gardens.
Jackie, don't know what hockey team your family follows, but was happy to see Winnipeg win the first game in the conference series!
Today, laundry, side work, and will get a start on planting those herbs/greens. I may go look for more veggie plants after DH leaves for work.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:39 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

The sun is shining and there seems to be very little wind. It looks to be a lovely day and I am hoping to get a bit planted up today, but we shall see.

I really have done no work on my various crafty type projects and need to get back to them. I have been having too much fun winding up yarn using the yarn winder. I have a few balls left to do in my basket. I am loving the fact that this method takes up much less room in the storage drawers I have for my yarn. Eventually most of my yarn will be done this way I hope.

Frugality wise the same old, same old will be happening here. We have a salad leftover from supper last night and it will be used in todays meal. I will be walking for my daily dose of exercise, and hopefully exercising my arm a bit by getting started on my planting for a bit. I don't have enough soil to get it all done, but I can get a pretty good start on it.

Other than the walk and a bit of work on the chore list, everything I plan to do outside will need to wait until youngest DS leaves at some point this morning. He mentioned something about coming home next weekend as well. We shall see, the cost of fuel is crazy and we want him saving money as well since he has taken on car payments.

Supper this evening is going to be a pork roast with roast potatoes and roast carrots. We will use up the leftover salad as well.

Today I am grateful for another beautiful day.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie I have to smile whenever you mention your yarn winder.. My Dad took early retirement which was great for the warm months where he spent time at his lake house in Minnesota, however the winter months back home in town really did drag on.. He had remodeled the house and was bored. One night I came home from work around 11:30 PM and was shocked to see my Dad, a real man's man, winding balls of yarn for my Mom. She had gone to bed....I said, " ok who are you and what have you done with my Father?"....lol. He swore me to secrecy and told me not to tell anyone.. He said he was so bored he would do anything to stay busy.. I never told the story while he was alive but it is a sweet story to tell about him now.. Enjoy your yarn winder but I miss my Mom's yarn winder. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:29 am Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers! Of course I'm thinking of my mom, but I have such great memories of Mother's Day last year. Mom said that it was her favorite Mother's Day. If I can beat the rain, I'm going to one of her favorite beaches this morning and just enjoy the sound of the water. (We don't have many waves here so I can't say listen to the waves.)

I didn't have a great night mainly because Pippi was sneezing like crazy. I don't know what brought that on but I'll watch her today.

This morning I heard of church bombings in Surabaya, Indonesia. Small world. My friend's brother has taught university English in Surabaya for years. I've met him several times when he was over here. His wife is Indonesian and they have three kids. The oldest is in college here in Florida. My friend's brother was raised Catholic but I'm not sure if he is a church goer. I'll email my friend. Trouble in Indonesia in the past has mostly been in Jakarta so I was shocked to see Surabaya this morning.

I ordered a new pair of shoes to wear with my new dress to the Anniversary party. They took forever to get here but arrived yesterday and seem comfortable. They are "bone" color and are lighter than I expected but match. I ordered "wide" and they aren't that common. I bought through Amazon but it was a third-party company so no quick shipping although it was free. Only $49.99.

I'll mail the Anniversary card to my cousins tomorrow. I got them a gift card to the local performing arts center (in an old historic theater) so don't want it to get lost at the party. I've never been to that theater but mom talked about going there a lot back when it was a "movie palace" in the 1940s. I still want to go to the historic theater in my area (Tampa Theater) and will suggest that to my friends this summer. LWolfT got me on the historic theater kick when she went to one a few months ago.

I hope we do get rain today but hope it isn't bad on Tuesday when the fence company will work at mom's house.

Enjoy your day.
Florida cat glad to hear your DM was able to tell you how much she enjoyed her last Mother's Day with you. It is a memory to be treasured that is for sure. Going to the beach is a great idea. Being around water feeds my soul and it will give you more of a connection to what your DM enjoyed.

Sad what is happening around the work in the name of religion.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama