Daily Check in May 14, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check in May 14, 2018

Post by clemencia2us »

Kind of overcast today. But i'm sure the sun will be out blazing later.

I am dreading summer already.

My nose feels stuffy this morning - wah.

I slept well just got up twice to use the facilities. What a pain that is.

The pack has been outside already. School traffic is going by - just a few more weeks of school for the kiddos. This year is zooming by

Have a great day
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I have been up for over an hour and managed to do a few things. I did kitty litter patrol, started the laundry, did my weekly menu blog post, answered a few emails, and had one cup of coffee. I plan on getting a bit more accomplished and then head out for my morning constitutional before getting more of the Monday chore list done.

I really want to do a bit of planting today as it is going to take me awhile to get all the plants into the ground. I will work on the big rectangular planters Hubby built for me many years ago today, and perhaps a couple of others.

Frugally speaking, the same old, same old will be happening. I can finally hang out the clothes though so that is a good thing. Saves electricity, and gives me a bit more exercise as well.

As far as no spend days go I have reached I have 7 so far this month. I am hoping to reach at least 15, but it is planting time and money is spent when needed, not when I want to spend it. Though I do try and cluster my spend days together, it does not always work out.

This week started out with only one meeting and two appointments. It has now grown to two meetings and two appointments. The meetings are both tomorrow, and the appointments are the next day. I am hoping the bone guy is on time as my appointment with him is almost directly after my PT appointment. I should have time to get my x-rays done, and sit for a bit before being called in. It does kind of cut into the morning however.

Meals will be made here at home out of items in fridge, freezer and cupboard. Tonight it is meatloaf (I am making double so that we have leftovers for later in the week), mashed potatoes and asparagus.

Today I am grateful that the sun is shining, the temperature is rising and the oldest DS called to wish me a Happy Mother's Day last night.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning everyone,

Glad to be back home after a short trip to my birth place to attend the burial of my father. He was placed to rest on May 10th, exactly four months after his passing. It's almost like going through the process all over again but I am relieved to have this final closure. Only in Canada and the northern parts of the U .S. would you have to postpone the burial because of the frozen ground. That makes it very hard. I have done my best to resolve my differences with my sister but she is so different from me/has completely opposite values so I'm afraid we can never be that close.

During this visit, I was invited for one night to spend with my step sister and her husband in Peterborough. I had never been to this community so it was interesting to go there and is a summer tourist area. They were both so welcoming and insisted I cancel my Greyhound bus ticket even though it was a three hour drive from their home to Toronto Pearson. I was overwhelmed by their generosity and hospitality and glad I took this opportunity to get to know them better. I spent the other days overnight with my sister but she has a boxer (quite untrained) and works nights so it was not ideal. But I did appreciate her effort to make me as comfortable as possible.At least she crated the dog while she was away at work which I appreciated. Although the poor thing panted so hard and was hyper ventilating to the point I was afraid it might have a heart attack as it already has a heart condition. I had enough time to have a nice visit with my step mother and hope she has the strength to carry on and enjoy life.

It seems like we have moved directly from winter to summer! Last week it was just above 0 degrees C during the day and now we have a predicted high of 25 degrees today. The overnight low was only 10 degrees so I have pulled out my capris and some short sleeved shirts. Definitely need a sweater or light jacket in the morning but it warms up very quickly. Yesterday dh, dd and I spent a glorious day in our back yard preparing our perenniel garden, trimming shrubs and readying the vegetable patch. I received some lovely gifts for Mothers Day and enjoyed a lengthy phone call with our oldest daughter. I also treated myself to a lovely red peony plant. A few years ago I tried planting a peony root from our ancestrial farm, which was supposedly when my great-great grandparents had immigrated from Ireland. Sadly as hard as I tried that root just did not take and died off. My day was perfect in every way!

My step-sister gave me a beautiful book entitled [Feeding My Mother]by Jann Arden who is a Canadian songwriter, singer, broadcaster and actress. It is about her comfort and laughter in the kitchen as her mother lives with memory loss. There are some wonderful recipes in the book and I cannot stop reading it. It makes you want to laugh and cry at the same time. I can hardly wait to try out some of her recipes. They all look pretty simple but tasty. Ironically I had read a book review of this book which was in the WestJet magazine on my way down to Toronto and made a mental note to check out our public library. But now I own it! Weird how that worked out.I highly recommend that book. My step mother also mentioned to her son that she wanted to get out shopping to get a new wallet as the one she had was falling apart. Low and behold I had bought her a wallet for Mothers Day, not having a clue of what she wanted or needed. I like to look upon this as divine intervention! I was wandering around Winners and HomeSense not having a clue of what to get her.

Well off for a lovely walk. Dh will be spending most of the day golfing, but has tuned up my bicycle so I can go for a ride if I wish.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
Creative
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:11 am Good Monday morning all,

I am having a grid driveway put in. There are some pictures of it on pinterest. It is quite different looking than concrete, a more rural look. There was a huge amount of breakage of the concrete grids on the pallets. He had to order more. I asked if I could recycle some of the broken grids and he said sure. I thought I could use the pallets as well, but now I see they are extremely inferior and no doubt the source of the breakage. Yesterday, I began to sort through the broken grids. I can lift them if they are broken a certain way and I found a lot that I could use as a low concrete grid fence in the front. Since they will not be recycled, I am using my small sledge to "sculpt" then into the style I want. I can tell this morning that I have been lifting 25-35 lb blocks multiple times. My bicep and back are sore. We are socked in with continuous rain, so I don't know how much I can do. Rain is ok, but I avoid storms with lightening.

I have raked the old driveway shell and dirt around. It looks pretty good. Hubs really wants to put grass on it. I have told him that dirt won't grow grass.(it didn't when it was a driveway), but he is insistent. "What would happen if you throw some grass seed down?" he said. I said causally. "you might attract a few birds." He persisted. "No, no, what would really happen?" I shrugged. "You would waste a lot of money." Cracker style driveways don't grow grass. That is why they used shell to make driveways. :roll: :roll:

This afternoon is my eye shot. After that, I will need to be careful of water getting in the eye wound for a couple of days. I actually wear googles when doing dishes because the water knows I have an at risk eye. Amazing that way.

Hubs has started using the apple cider vinegar pain remedy a neighbor suggested. Since this was his week off pain medication, he thought it would be a good test. Day 6, no pain. Normally there would be by day 6. Maybe it works on arthritis.

My military son informed us yesterday that the base messed up and didn't turn in his re-enlistment papers. The base has sent a "sorry, we messed up" letter up the chain. We will see what happens. I decided whatever happens will be for the best.

Today, I am grateful for the cooler temperatures created by the cloud cover. We have not had to turn on the ac yet. :) Have a good day everyone.
DG interesting about the vinegar treatment for arthritis.. How much vinegar and what kind of vinegar does your DH use. ie raw vinegar or just a generic cider vinegar?

I do not know how you manage to do all of the physical labor your do with all of your remodeling activities.. It is amazing. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

AnneX, the kimono exhibit sounds wonderful.

I had a good day yesterday going to the "old Florida" beach mom liked and where we went when I was a child. It isn't the best swimming beach because it is on the Bay rather than the Gulf. So because of that, little has changed. It is an artsy community so lots of small restaurants which were crowded but the beach was not crowded. I sat on the bench where mom and I had our picnic a few years ago. Then I drove up our line of beaches looking at what was new and what has been there forever.

My cousins from RI called and I didn't mention that I'd be attending their anniversary party. I'm not sure how much they know.

Today I have a few errands on my list. First to drop off a bag at the food pantry. I gave a bag on Saturday to the Post Office drive but this was heavy so thought I'd just drop it at the pantry. These are still things from mom's house that are in date including an unopened bag of sugar.

Then to the bank for a CD (which I still consider mom's CD). They are offering 1.50% month to month with a 6-month guarantee or 2% for 21 months. I think I'll take the 2%. Then to a new pet store to look at pet scoop bags. I want to have enough for the pet sitter. Luckily Pippi's sneezing has gone away. I've never had to buy bags until now but have few on hand.

It is supposed to be rainy all week but my area has received little rain so far. Mom and dad always said we are in a dry spot and I think that is true. There is a potential tropical disturbance in the Gulf and I hope it doesn't cause problems. I just want to get the fence in mom's yard done tomorrow.

Enjoy your day.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning ladies.. We are going to have another scorcher day.. I am going to try to get all of my plants planted today due to we are expecting rain later this afternoon and then chance of rain for many days to follow.. I did turn on my A/C yesterday but keeping the temp a bit high to keep the electric bill down. Primarily I want to get the humidity out and use overhead ceiling fans to circulate the air. I have several fans to clean and use for areas not covered by ceiling fans..ie bathrooms and one area of the kitchen. I have a vaulted ceiling in the kitchen and the ceiling fan only covers the dining area of the kitchen so I use a small fan to get a breeze in the cooking area.

Wishing everyone a good start to your week..Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama