Daily Check in May 16, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check in May 16, 2018

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 pm Great news: I got the job! And it's $2.50 an hour more than I'm making now! I gave notice this morning: this Friday will be my last day at the job I'm leaving and I'm using three days of paid vacation I never took, so that's 7 days notice instead of the usual two weeks, but I figured what are they going to do? Fire me? :-D

I do feel bad about all the lovely women who work here because they're so nice (it's the board of directors that are a bunch of idiots), but I have to take care of my family.

Between that and hearing from the eye doc yesterday that my condition is improving, it's been a terrific 24 hours.

Maggie, it seems like yesterday that your DS2 was a little guy learning how to cook. Now he's almost all grown up! You did a fine job raising both of those boys. (((Hugs)))
Mackie Yippee! I am so happy for you to have a better job and with a 2.50 per hour raise... you good girl. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:28 pm Hello friends,

Interesting happenings this morning, but the story actually begins last night when I picked up a subbing job for this morning 8am-noon. So I get all the kids shuffled off to their various places, and I'm pulling into the parking lot of the Adult Education Center, when my phone rings with an unfamiliar number which I then answer. It's the man for whom I was supposed to be subbing that day, and he tells me that "Oops sorry," he'd entered the wrong date into the subbing database, he needs a sub not Today, but for Friday, am I still available. Erm no, I already have a job lined up for Friday, so he hangs up. Well I headed home, thinking that dd5 is going to be furious with me if I go back right away to pick her up. I decided to do all the little errands that needed a weekday to be accomplished on, then go get her... and I got to take Dh some pain reliever too... After about 45 minutes, I get another call, this time from a Lady whom I think is the Adult Ed Center administrator, and she tells me that she feels really bad about what happened, and if she can swing it, that she's going to make sure that I get paid for today anyhow. Short story, is yes, I am getting paid for a day of subbing that I'm not doing, AND it's for a full day, not the original half day!!! WOW!!!!

Along the way, my brother called me to ask if I wanted to buy a fleece (wool from a sheared sheep), yes please. Then he asked if I'd pass along the info to my fiber guild friends... which is next on my agenda.

After I signed the paper at Adult Ed, I picked up dd7 from school -- her tummy was hurting (she & ds10 sneakily told me they'd had breakfast) but she now told me they only had lemonade... my tummy would hurt too.

I only slept 5 hours (or less) last night, I might nap like the girls and H-dog are doing... after I do some computer work. ;)

Dinner tonight will hopefully be Ham & lentil soup... assuming ds13 gets dishes done; even if not I still want my ham soup.

The repairman will be here at 2pm to fix our dishwasher -- the motor and computer were broken, thank goodness it was still under warranty as we'd bought it last August!

I'm thankful for sunshine and today's unexpected events.
Gayle so happy that you were able to get paid for the day. Glad the adm felt the need to make things right.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 pm Great news: I got the job! And it's $2.50 an hour more than I'm making now! I gave notice this morning: this Friday will be my last day at the job I'm leaving and I'm using three days of paid vacation I never took, so that's 7 days notice instead of the usual two weeks, but I figured what are they going to do? Fire me? :-D

I do feel bad about all the lovely women who work here because they're so nice (it's the board of directors that are a bunch of idiots), but I have to take care of my family.

Between that and hearing from the eye doc yesterday that my condition is improving, it's been a terrific 24 hours.

Maggie, it seems like yesterday that your DS2 was a little guy learning how to cook. Now he's almost all grown up! You did a fine job raising both of those boys. (((Hugs)))
Mackie, I’m so happy for you! You have had a rough year but things are looking up.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

ephofma wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:02 pm Good afternoon all,

It has been a really weird few days. On Saturday I got to go to Disney Hollywood Studios with DH, oldest DD, her DH and our 2 DGrands. It was SO much fun! We were there from 9:30 to about 5:00. Because of my back and hips (birth defect and arthritis) I have to use the scooters. Both of the DGrands love to help me get along and not hit things like poles. I'm not a particularly good scooter driver as I only use them when we are somewhere for long periods. It was wonderful.

On Sunday when I got up I could barely function because the room was spinning and would not stop. I was in bed, mostly asleep, all day. Because of the dizziness I also was having nausea and a headache I couldn't get rid of.

Monday the dizziness and nausea were slightly better but the headache was horrible. I could not figure out what was going on.

Tuesday morning when I got up and was still dizzy I called the GP and got in yesterday afternoon for an appointment. Vertigo. Never had it before. Apparently on one of the pole-hitting incidents I dislodged some calcium and its been floating around. Honestly, I didn't hit anything hard and it only happened a couple of times trying to round corners. So the PA told me to limit TV, computer, reading (!!!) and no driving (!!!!!). No strenuous housework and I must rest, rest, rest for about 2 weeks. I am already a bit stir crazy. This is going to be real interesting.

Rinty, I must agree with you on the subject of Harry. He is my favorite as well and I hope their marriage is wonderful.

Maggie, I love reading about your boys. You have done a wonderful job.

Clemencia, I agree completely with your opinion regarding hot weather. I have more allergies, more migraines and less sleep during the hot, hot weather we have here.

So glad you got the job Mackie!

Everyone else, I hope everything is going well for you and yours. Time to end this LONG epistle.
Take it easy! I know a bit what you are going through because my good friend has vertigo on an ongoing basis but only when she sees senses an odd change of movement. She gets very nauseous. Mostly it is when she watches movies. She can’t watch any of the space-related films and even hesitated to see La La Land but made out OK.

I haven’t been to Disney in years but I may go in the fall when we have cooler weather. A friend now lives only 4 miles from the Magic Kingdom and has an annual pass so would go with me. My favorite is the Animal Kingdom.
rinty

Post by rinty »

Yay Mackie !

Well done, hope its a really good fit for you !

Royal wedding fever has arrived in my area. Three houses locally have gone ALL OUT with union jack bunting, flags and signs hung out of windows featuring Harry and Meghan on plastic flags.

KLASSY .

Sadly I have pictures from 1981 of me with very 80s hairstyle having decorated OUR house with plastic flags etc for Charles and Di. I also used plastic silver coats of arms stuck to the front door. Only redeeming feature was the hanging baskets had been done in red white and blue flowers.......so that was VAGUELY klassy I suppose. ANYWAY we have moved on. School is insisiting we mark Friday but I haven't anything clothing with a union jack on it ( shocker ) I do have a couple of mini flags in the craft room so I have fashioned a kind of boutonierre I'll pin to my blouse.

Weary and irritable. Nice work collegue making sweet comments re my hair. She prpbably drew the short straw..." YOU tell her.....Hell, no, YOU tell her " Work is pleasant ;)

DH is like having a 1950s housewife in the house. I worked late ( to zone out the mind ) and returned to chicken casserole with Mexican rice, a large loaf of homemade bread ( a new recipe we'd seen on the internet baked with MARMITE ) and a large pan of almond slice :shock:

I'm keeping him.

The bread is to DIE for . Marmite is very savoury and it has tinted the loaf a nice orangey colour. I bet it will make fantastic toast ! Tomorrow it will be lunch for sure.

OFF to bed early .

Really nice to read good things on the forum right now, Yay Maggie and your boys. Empha look after yourself. JCKitty you are a great daughter. Alliesmama remember us to Red Robin, hope she is doing okay.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

rinty wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:42 pm Yay Mackie !

Well done, hope its a really good fit for you !

Royal wedding fever has arrived in my area. Three houses locally have gone ALL OUT with union jack bunting, flags and signs hung out of windows featuring Harry and Meghan on plastic flags.

KLASSY .

Sadly I have pictures from 1981 of me with very 80s hairstyle having decorated OUR house with plastic flags etc for Charles and Di. I also used plastic silver coats of arms stuck to the front door. Only redeeming feature was the hanging baskets had been done in red white and blue flowers.......so that was VAGUELY klassy I suppose. ANYWAY we have moved on. School is insisiting we mark Friday but I haven't anything clothing with a union jack on it ( shocker ) I do have a couple of mini flags in the craft room so I have fashioned a kind of boutonierre I'll pin to my blouse.

Weary and irritable. Nice work collegue making sweet comments re my hair. She prpbably drew the short straw..." YOU tell her.....Hell, no, YOU tell her " Work is pleasant ;)

DH is like having a 1950s housewife in the house. I worked late ( to zone out the mind ) and returned to chicken casserole with Mexican rice, a large loaf of homemade bread ( a new recipe we'd seen on the internet baked with MARMITE ) and a large pan of almond slice :shock:

I'm keeping him.

The bread is to DIE for . Marmite is very savoury and it has tinted the loaf a nice orangey colour. I bet it will make fantastic toast ! Tomorrow it will be lunch for sure.

OFF to bed early .

Really nice to read good things on the forum right now, Yay Maggie and your boys. Empha look after yourself. JCKitty you are a great daughter. Alliesmama remember us to Red Robin, hope she is doing okay.

Rinty I will pass your message on to Red Robin..

I too like Harry and hope his wedding and marriage goes well.I have it set up to start to record it here on Saturday morning. I think it starts around 3:30 AM here but that will be just for all of the commentators for the pre wedding talking and speculation. I have a Union Jack tea towel that you sent to me years ago. I will be using it on Saturday. Also will be drinking Twinings English breakfast tea and will make some gluten free crumpets or Welsh cakes.. My great grandmother immigrated from London and I have her recipe for Welsh cakes. They are cooked on a griddle. So much fun. When Diana and Prince Charles were married I was very ill in hospital and just remember fading in and out and seeing the wedding and news about the wedding on the TV in bits and pieces. Hope you enjoy the day too. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama