Daily Check in May 18, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in May 18, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning friends,

Up and drinking coffee. I cut down my quilting squares, so I will do a marathon sewing session this evening. I will not be finished for Sunday's shower, unfortunately. I have prioritized walking over sewing.

Ex gave me a few things he found in the front hall closet. DS had his last high school concert. He arranged a performance of "Africa" by Toto for the Percussionist (and him on Bass Guitar). Ex has been pulled back into the project in Switzerland. Now that DS is out of school, he can stay at Ex's house and take care of the new house and his cats.

I had to laugh, I got an invite for a cousin's daughter's grad party. Nothing like having family grad parties the same weekend. On my Dad's side, June 1-3, there is a party Friday Night, one Saturday (Not invited to that one) and the DS's Sunday. However, On Mom's side, another cousin's son's party is that Saturday. So my parents have 4 Grad parties in one weekend. LOL!

Have a great day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in May 18, 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Friday morning all,

Another day of rain predicted, but it may wait for my morning walk with the neighbor. Hubs and I have not been able to get out yet for a walk because the rains rarely hold off long enough. The temperatures and humidity are uncomfortable. The temperature is just below "turn on ac" level.

I got hold of the young man who works at Home Depot and who offered to do work for me a couple of weeks ago. He is 28 and trying to get enough to cover his car payments etc. We will meet tomorrow and see if we have a fit.

I am frustrated that I can't work outside and when frustrated, I am not productive inside either. I need to have a talk with myself on that. I should seize the opportunity to get housework done.

Hubs was nagging me about getting the back porch finished. I told him repeatedly, patiently that nothing can happen until it dries out which may be weeks. Finally, I was PO and used colorful language to say stop nagging.

Frustrated, I turned to the internet to hunt for inspiration on landscape designs around my new driveway. I also went to my gardening group. Half are delighted with the rain. The other half, including me, say "enough already!" I did learn how to grow canna lilies from seeds. Wow. Normally, you have to buy the bulbs at $4 a pop. But the seed pods can produce them, but it is like moonflower seed sprouting. Going to try that sometime. And I got one plant transplanted before thunder drove me inside. :x

My big beautiful, showy sunflowers are gone. The heads ripped off and stolen! The gardening group says squirrels. Evil tree rats!

The daily walk with my neighbor is interesting and sometimes amusing. I wear a sleeveless top, an A shirt some call it, with skinny straps when we walk. She had a cute way of suggesting that was a lot of exposure(of skin). I explained that I get overheated easily. And if I get overheated, I faint and fall down. So I am careful to dress to stay cool. So she said well don't faint and didn't want that to happen. Last week, before the rains hit, she warned me that I was getting a lot of sun(exposed skin) and should use sun protection. Cute. At my age, it is just amusing.

Today, I am grateful that I am alive and in good health. Have a good day everyone. Stay safe and healthy.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

Pippi is back to her normal self today, thankfully. Yesterday I met with the pet sitters. It was the owner and the gal who will actually be the pet sitter. I liked her and it went well. They are very thorough. I'd feel confident if it wasn't for Pippi's tablet, which she spit out last night. (I finally got her to take it.) All I can do is hope for the best and figure if she misses some of the tablets it isn't the end of the world.

I have a few errands this morning and then to mom's house to put the trash can back in the garage. Yesterday the across the street neighbor stopped by to give me a homemade blueberry muffin so I told him I'd be away for a few days. Later I hope to get a manicure - for the first time in many years.

Tomorrow in RI is supposed to be "cold" (55 degrees) so I have to plan for that. The best day weather wise will be Monday and that is the day I plan to go to Newport. Sunday is the party and it will be in the 70s.

Unlike in dgflorida's area, it has not been rainy here since a few days ago. But it is very sticky even with the a/c. I keep my a/c at 78 and I've been leaving it on 80 at mom's house except when I'm there I turn it to 78. I've had my a/c on for a month and got my bill yesterday. Only $53 so can't complain about that. Mom's house stays cooler so I only turned the a/c on a week or 10 days ago.

Enjoy your day.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Up with the alarm..... :? still feel very tired but will get going anyway. I need to go to dads and defrost/clean his garage freezer. Then the "great freezer defrost" will be complete for awhile.

He announced at supper last night that he wants to take us for prime rib tonight. That means he wants prime rib and I need a night off from cooking. ;) I will probably get fish. I will try for a short nap this afternoon.

It is cooler this morning, sun is shining but we do have some cloud cover. Perfect weather to piddle around in the flower beds.

Last evening before supper (I had almost everything ready) DD came home and said..."there's a yardsale on the way home from work we NEED to go to real quick...we need your truck" so, off we went. She was correct.... I got the cement fountain for the pond that I have been wanting for forever....8.00. I also got the other DD a new bread maker for 8.00. and a large basket made of tree roots ....hard to describe but for outside plants 3.00. The prices at this yardsale were defiantly priced to get rid of stuff.

I will need help getting the bowl of the fountain out of my truck and installed. Hopefully the fiancé won't have to work late this afternoon and can help or....might have to ask the nephew.

I will need to clean and tidy the house for the weekend after the defrosting is done and then hopefully I will have an easy weekend, not counting the errands and recycle depot run.
Off to get this day started,
Floridacat have fun and safe travels.....
Have a great, safe and appreciative day all,
JCKitty
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

We didn't cover anything last night as it was cloudy so no frost. Tonight could be a different story. We got a bit more rain last night which was very welcome and I am really hoping for even more today.

After having a cast on my arm for 2 months and now having it off for about the same (the getting strength back in the hand and the ability to use the wrist is getting better) it is time to start getting the house back into shape. Hubby's brother and his wife are planning on stopping in at some point this weekend so things need to be tidied up a bit. I rather hope they come tomorrow, but just in case a few things need to be touched up today. So these little extra things will get done along with my regular list. What really needs a good tidy is the corner where I sit and do my projects, it is strewn with half finished, and slightly started projects. I will have to clean and organize that area first.

I am also going to do some baking today. Sweet tooth is acting up in both Hubby and I, and with company it is always nice to have something to serve. The other reason for baking is that youngest DS plans on coming home again this weekend. Two weekends in a row, it's wonderful.

Frugality speaking, with all the cleaning and baking I will be doing this should be a no spend day. I will be using items up and hopefully in the cleaning mode will find a few things to divest the house of.

Meals will be made here at home out of items we already have.

The furnace is turned on this morning because of the coolness of the day. It will be turned down once it is warmer.

I will take a walk for exercise at some point today. Just need to get a few things done before I do. Today is the morning that I take my calcium binder pill and can't have coffee for an hour after taking it. So I may as well put that hour to good use on the forum and getting a bit of cleaning done.

Supper tonight is going to be the soup I have put away in the freezer. I will make some grilled cheese sandwiches to go with it.

Today I am once again grateful for the rain we are getting. Every little bit helps when it is so very dry.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

jckitty wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:39 am Good morning all,

Up with the alarm..... :? still feel very tired but will get going anyway. I need to go to dads and defrost/clean his garage freezer. Then the "great freezer defrost" will be complete for awhile.

He announced at supper last night that he wants to take us for prime rib tonight. That means he wants prime rib and I need a night off from cooking. ;) I will probably get fish. I will try for a short nap this afternoon.

It is cooler this morning, sun is shining but we do have some cloud cover. Perfect weather to piddle around in the flower beds.

Last evening before supper (I had almost everything ready) DD came home and said..."there's a yardsale on the way home from work we NEED to go to real quick...we need your truck" so, off we went. She was correct.... I got the cement fountain for the pond that I have been wanting for forever....8.00. I also got the other DD a new bread maker for 8.00. and a large basket made of tree roots ....hard to describe but for outside plants 3.00. The prices at this yardsale were defiantly priced to get rid of stuff.

I will need help getting the bowl of the fountain out of my truck and installed. Hopefully the fiancé won't have to work late this afternoon and can help or....might have to ask the nephew.

I will need to clean and tidy the house for the weekend after the defrosting is done and then hopefully I will have an easy weekend, not counting the errands and recycle depot run.
Off to get this day started,
Floridacat have fun and safe travels.....
Have a great, safe and appreciative day all,
JCKitty
You got some great bargains at that yard sale JCKitty. Enjoy your basket and the water fountain.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/