Daily Check in June 15, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in June 15, 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Friday morning all,

I got my early walk in with the neighbor. Now that hubs agreed to get up earlier, I can walk earlier. It is blazing hot here right now, so early is nice. It is already "a feel like " 90F. Hubs will not walk today because the pest control people are coming about the time we would walk and because it is so hot. He has his little exercise petal bike.

I was trying to blow the dust and stuff out of the way for the pest people last evening and blew dust in my recently injected eye. I washed it with sterile eye drops immediately. Looks ok today. Scary.

Now that I have taken care of the hurricane covering for the window, hubs is worried that the ac will quit. :roll: I told him I am not going to have it checked because it will quit anyways if it wants to. A check up won't stop it.

I am going to start washing with coffee water before going out to work in the late day. The mosquitoes are bad and they generally don't like the smell of coffee water. The commercial sprays are yukky feeling.

I found that eating gelatin really helps my skin. Gelatin is just the processed "jelly" off of meat. I bought chicken thighs yesterday, 50% off. I cooked them in a microwave container and then added the cooked meat to a skillet of veggies for stir-fry. So now I have some jelly to eat. It is not tasty. It really doesn't have a taste. But it is a frugal way to increase my gelatin intake. We have jello after dinner as well.

I bought hubs a steak for Dad day dinner. I had hoped to grill, but the weather is fickle, so pan fry it with onions and mushrooms.

Today, I am grateful for air conditioning. Have a good day everyone. Be safe. Stay healthy,
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It looks to be a lovely day but the damage to the surrounding towns to the east of us is terrible. Hail struck through windows, the house siding, damaged cars and trucks, and flooding of basements occurred.

I am so sorry for all those east of us affected by this, but after going through the flooding of our basement, I am just glad it didn't happen here again.

Today will once again be a busy one. I need to get the household chores completed, fuel in the car, and perhaps water the plants that didn't get water yesterday. We will be heading out to see the first football game of the season later this afternoon. Told you all that the summers lately are not a real frugal time for us. Keeps the boys happy though and that is what counts. This year Hubby will actually have one game that both boys attend with him. Bonding time for the males in the family!

Really not much else going on so I am off to get my day started.

Perhaps I will check back before we head out. Maybe something exciting actually occurred.

Today I am grateful for electricity. After being without it, and having my toys start to die I never want to go without it again.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ... my gosh, the month is half over already!

A nice sunny day, though we're supposed to be near 90 all weekend. Am hoping to check out the big art fair downtown this weekend, but it may be too darn hot ...

Wow, Jackie ... glad to hear that storm didn't hit you. (I'm really sorry for the folks who were it. Our house was damaged in a hail storm like that many years ago ... took forever to get things fixed.)

The mulberry jam is done! Figured I got 4 pints of jam for a total of $2.50 (pectin plus sugar, which was on sale). Should start stemming berries so I can nudge DH into making that pie crust.

Otherwise, have some paid work to do this morning, and will continue with my catch-up and purposeful puttering.

OK, Maggie ... details!

Libby, I know what you mean about looking at a list and being overwhelmed. Right now, I'm concentrating on doing a bit at a time on some of these projects ... seems to help.

Florida, my DM's birthday, and the day she died are bittersweet ones for me. It does get better with time ... so hang in there.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I took over as team lead of an existing team, The old Lead went on vacation for 2 weeks. He'd been wanting to move out of the position for a while. No more $$, but it is more challenging for me. I am enjoying it. I have had a few team members compliment me.

As for moving, yes, I hope to move closer to my family. I need to start determining what is available in my target area and what the rates are. I need to give notice here by the end of July.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I Did my DNA, as did DS1, My Dad and My Mom. Surprised that My Mom had a majority of British in her when we can trace all of her great grandparents back to Germany. Dad was mostly West European (German) as expected, but there was a branch that was in the US before the Revolution. DS was more Eastern European (His Polish Father).
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:56 am

I was trying to blow the dust and stuff out of the way for the pest people last evening and blew dust in my recently injected eye. I washed it with sterile eye drops immediately. Looks ok today. Scary.
When I had eye surgery six years ago, my doctor gave me a plastic shield like this plus a roll of paper tape.

LINK REMOVED BY SITE ADMIN

I only wore it to bed but used it for several months. Something like this might protect your eye if you know you’ll be doing something like using the blower or working outdoors. Doesn’t look lovely but does give some protection.

Or, perhaps easier, you could wear safety glasses.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.