Daily check in June 17, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily check in June 17, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

rinty wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:06 pm Hey All

Best wishes to those who are under the weather.

I like Mass, we obviously act as examples for the students so know all the responses etc , reminds me of church when the kids were little ...........

" Mum is standing up, Mum is sitting down, Mum is bowing her head, Mum is saying prayers ............" Only thing that's strikes me is that the word " reverent " isn't a common thing to say ? In an LDS church you can say to a child " be reverent " and they will be still ? It like a shorthand way to describe acceptable church behaviour.

Lots of STUFF to do at work. I am knackered ;) I don't wanna go to work tomorrow :shock:

Fathers Day nearly over. The kids came through and DH is pleased. AMEN.

Only had 9 to cook for ;)

For dessert I made a Victoria sponge with fresh sliced strawberries and a LOT of fresh whipped cream. NICE.

Its been freezing cold all weekend, about 16 degrees max I would say, and its been GREY, bleughhhhhh. I had hoped to do a mini bbq and do marshmallows on sticks for dessert but not in this weather.

Re the US political situation, it is so shameful and every day there is more. Trumps visit here won't go well.

Spent practically nothing all week, too danged busy. father day isn't down to me cost wise ( hurrah !!!!)

This coming week I have a doctors apt, need to check with work re getting time off for a scheduled mammogram as well. One volunteer gig, helping out somewhere else which means a VERY LONG DAY and some grandkid sitting.

Tomorrow for fun I am taking a DGK to Jurassic Dinosaur or whatever its called ;) I quite fancy it if I am honest.

House and laundry up to speed, the garden is bursting with green , broad beans are ready as are the strawberries and some onions. Its raspberries we will be overflowing with, so that will be lovely.

Have not yet replaced the mattress the dog killed this week in the guest room................
Rinty, I love Mass. It is just that I do not relish sitting for 2 hours. The children get antsy, and I see people gazing off into space, no longer paying attention. We are always told that "full and active participation" in the Mass is a necessary ingredient to a faith life.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 pm Hmmm, we seem to be getting double posts. I edited yours Littlemiss, hope you don't mind. Creative would you like me to delete your double post?
Thanks Jackie, I didn't realize that it posted twice.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello all,

It looks like its been one week since I was last on here, when I was moaning the blues about being kicked out of my sewing/craft (guest) room.

Well I worked hard on Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday to go through all the stuff that was formerly in my laundry room and the sewing/guest room — I got everything (fabric, notions & yarn) that I was keeping put into a very few boxes and A LOT of plastic storage bins.

I did make Dh promise me last week that ONLY my sewing & crafting stuff would be kept in the laundry room, nothing else, He WAS NOT HAPPY about that. 😁 Well ds15 has Mother's 7 boxes of genealogy in his room and ds10 has Mother's china and the giant bag of wedding dresses (to be used for charity crafting purposes) in his closet. Ds13 may get to have my sewing machines in his closet- he did offer once.

Thursday I took my children to see the Mormon Miracle Pageant, their first time ever, and my first time in 20 years. Lots of changes in it, but good ones.

I had a lovely phone chat with my sister this evening, we talked for nearly 50 minutes -- she's moved back to Utah from Italy now (about 3 weeks ago). It was sooo nice to talk to her; I've been trying to contact for for about 2 weeks and was beginning to think that she was ignoring me.

Dh has gone back to Logan this afternoon for his second week of work up there with the company redoing several miles of Highway; we had our Father’s Day dinner last night. I gave him 2 pairs new jeans (maybe I won't hear about how he doesn't have many now), and a pricey 6-pack of his favorite soda in glass bottles (well $8 for 6 seems a lot to me when we can buy 12 cans of soda for $2.50 at Kroger).

I still need to bag up all the clothes I sorted out, and resort through the bag of miscellaneous items, to take to the local thrift store. I've had my boys going through their clothes last week too, most of ds10’s clothes will join the thrift shop pile that is big enough that I might have to make several trips. 😄

Tomorrow afternoon, I’m taking ds13 to my dbro’s house where he's going to work for most of summer. Ds15’s job with our church friend has fallen through— and ds is furious about it so is taking his mad out on rest of family. Right now, it's looking like ds15 will be working only cutting lawns this summer, and that's not cool enough for him, especially as he'd planned on making $11/hour for 8-10 hours per day 4-1/2 days a week. *sigh* At his age, I’d have been happy for the 2 lawn-mowing jobs each week, $25 each job.

Well I’m off to find a snack, probably pb&j OR a poached egg instead of the chips & salsa I really want. Then it's off to bed for everyone. LOTS to do tomorrow (playdate for littles with their friends who’re moving, getting ds13’s RX, finding parts for ds13’s computer charge cord- all before 1pm, then driving south 3-4 hours to dbro’s house).... hopefully I can sleep well tonight.

Edited to add:

Oh I wanted to share my frugal fix! :lol: I have this belt that the clasp keeps falling off, and had been considering buying a new one but held off because its my favorite as it's interchangeable (brown on one side, black on the other). I noticed a few days ago, that there are 2 tiny screws into the leather on one side, then while talking to ds13 yesterday I saw that he had a tiny flat-head screwdriver. After dinner today, I borrowed ds13's tool, and took my belt apart -- I cleaned out the inner workings, then tightened all the screws back together, and my belt is almost as good as new (except for the obvious wear), and I'm happy knowing I don't need to buy a new belt!! :D