Ohjodi's DNA Results........

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Ohjodi's DNA Results........

Post by MackerelCat »

Jodi, I have decided not to do a DNA test because there is a possibilty that my dad was not my dad. One of my crazy cousins is deep into ancestry stuff and I don't want her getting hold of anything.

I am so glad that you got such a wonderful dad. Almost any man can father a child, but being a dad requires love and commitment. Biology doesn't have to be required.
Mackie
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Interesting story Jodi. Guess God decided you needed a good Daddy and intervened. Too often sperm doners and fathers are not the same thing at all. HOpe you are ok with everything.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:10 am Jodi, that is quite a story! I had to reread it again.

I’m glad that you have such a good dad and happy that he will never know the truth. I’m so sorry that your mom was abusive to you and your sisters.

As for your Chicago phone book search for your DNA father, I was hoping that Chicago phone books would be available on familysearch.org but they are not. I was going to suggest a city directory but I found that Chicago stopped putting out city directories in 1929! I did find the following lady who does searches in Chicago, at least she did back in 2010.

http://chicagogenealogy.blogspot.com/20 ... -1971.html

My mother called her grandmother “Aunt Mary” as long as she was alive because my grandfather and I guess great-grandmother were embarrassed that my grandfather was born out of wedlock (or illegitimate as it said on the birth record). Luckily my grandfather had told my grandmother the truth and in later years she told my mother. We were able to find my grandfather’s father using records at the local family history center. Mom said she thinks my grandfather did know the name of his father but never had any contact.
Thanks for looking into the phone books and city directories for me! Saves me a bit of legwork (or finger-work! LOL)

There are all kinds of mysteries within families. I've always sort of wondered if my (raised me) dad's brother might have a different father, himself. He doesn't look like his three siblings, at all. My grandparents had a pretty bad relationship, so I could see her maybe having another involvement.......but the real kicker is that this uncle was raised mostly by HIS grandparents, my grandmother's parents. He was not raised in the house most of the time with the other three siblings. Although back-in-the day it seems to have been more common for kids to be split up and raised by other family, it's still very curious!
ohjodi
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

MackerelCat wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:50 pm Jodi, I have decided not to do a DNA test because there is a possibilty that my dad was not my dad. One of my crazy cousins is deep into ancestry stuff and I don't want her getting hold of anything.

I am so glad that you got such a wonderful dad. Almost any man can father a child, but being a dad requires love and commitment. Biology doesn't have to be required.
You can make your DNA results private so nobody can see them........HOWEVER, if you find out for sure, it can open a whole can of worms for yourself because you might want to research more into who that person is.

I am more anxious about the research I am doing than about the fact that I have a different dad, LOL If I have found the right person, he passed away a few years ago, and I hate to say it, but it's a relief that I won't have to wonder if I want to contact him at some point.
ohjodi
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

colonialgirl wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:05 pm Interesting story Jodi. Guess God decided you needed a good Daddy and intervened. Too often sperm doners and fathers are not the same thing at all. HOpe you are ok with everything.
Thanks :-) I really am ok. The funny bonus to this is that I have actually become MORE patient with my dad, LOL I have a renewed appreciation for him, even though he doesn't know he raised someone else's kid.

My parents split up with I was two, dad was just 29, and he kept me EVERY weekend, never failed. There was ONE time I couldn't go to his house on one Saturday, and that had to do with his Teamsters being on strike. ONE time, lol. He used to call me every evening on his work break....he worked 2nd shift. You'd think he'd want to hang with buddies, go to the games, have some dates, but he didn't. He was not aware of the abuse at my mother's house. I never told anyone.

He''s as annoying as all fathers are.......but I don't believe my DNA father would have been an improvement at all.
ohjodi
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

ohjodi wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:45 pm
colonialgirl wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:05 pm Interesting story Jodi. Guess God decided you needed a good Daddy and intervened. Too often sperm doners and fathers are not the same thing at all. HOpe you are ok with everything.
Thanks :-) I really am ok. The funny bonus to this is that I have actually become MORE patient with my dad, LOL I have a renewed appreciation for him, even though he doesn't know he raised someone else's kid.

My parents split up with I was two, dad was just 29, and he kept me EVERY weekend, never failed. There was ONE time I couldn't go to his house on one Saturday, and that had to do with his Teamsters being on strike. ONE time, lol. He used to call me every evening on his work break....he worked 2nd shift. You'd think he'd want to hang with buddies, go to the games, have some dates, but he didn't. He was not aware of the abuse at my mother's house. I never told anyone.

He''s as annoying as all fathers are.......but I don't believe my DNA father would have been an improvement at all.
Very sweet tribute to your one and only Daddy!