23andme and Ancestry

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

23andme and Ancestry

Post by icfrugal1 »

My older sister have both done 23andme and Ancesrty.

My sister and I do show as sisters, sharing 51% shared DNA.

Our younger sister has not done either one.

So my younger sisters oldest son, shows up as my grandson and as my older sisters nephew!!! He has only done 23andme not Ancestry.

Good grief, just so you know I was born in 1950 and she was born in 1958, I do think that I would remember having a kid :lol: :roll:

On both systems my 1/2 cousins show up as 3rd to 4th cousins, which makes sense since we only share one grandparent.

Anyone else having their DNA tested??? What do you think?

IC
ohjodi

Re: 23andme and Ancestry

Post by ohjodi »

Do you and your siblings have the same two parents?
ohjodi
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

ohjodi wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:49 pm Do you and your siblings have the same two parents?
Sorry, should have said, yes, we are full sisters.

My mother was an only child though her mother, but her father remarried and had two sons, so her 1/2 brothers and their kids are my 1/2 cousins, not that we call each-other that LOL

On my fathers side my father had 4 full brothers and 2 1/2 sisters. So more 1/2 first cousins !

IC
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

ICFrugal, I got our three dogs' DNA tested (Wisdom Panel 3.0) and thought it was quite accurate. We already knew they were half dachshund, but had no idea about the other. Mainly it was curiosity combined with seeing if they were mixed with breeds with any serious health problems.

I am not interested in doing it for myself.
Mackie
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:14 pm ICFrugal, I got our three dogs' DNA tested (Wisdom Panel 3.0) and thought it was quite accurate. We already knew they were half dachshund, but had no idea about the other. Mainly it was curiosity combined with seeing if they were mixed with breeds with any serious health problems.

I am not interested in doing it for myself.
Ok, now i need to know , what did they end up being? My Vet said that there was no point in doing BB's DNA because she is a brown dog, what the Vet called a brown mutt color LOL

IC
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

What % DNA is shared between your older sister and the nephew.
What % DNA is shared between you and your nephew.
How do the two %'s compare?
ohjodi