23andme and Ancestry

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: 23andme and Ancestry

Post by icfrugal1 »

ohjodi wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:57 pm What % DNA is shared between your older sister and the nephew.
What % DNA is shared between you and your nephew.
How do the two %'s compare?
Good question, between me and my nephew 24.1% and between my older sister and our nephew 24.4% .

IC
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

The older two are half chihuahua, but are not small. They got slightly shorter ears and slightly longer legs from that side of their family, but otherwise look like longhaired dachshunds.

The youngest is half Eskimo spitz. She looks like a golden fox.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

icfrugal1 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:43 pm My older sister have both done 23andme and Ancesrty.

My sister and I do show as sisters, sharing 51% shared DNA.

Our younger sister has not done either one.

So my younger sisters oldest son, shows up as my grandson and as my older sisters nephew!!! He has only done 23andme not Ancestry.

Good grief, just so you know I was born in 1950 and she was born in 1958, I do think that I would remember having a kid :lol: :roll:

On both systems my 1/2 cousins show up as 3rd to 4th cousins, which makes sense since we only share one grandparent.

Anyone else having their DNA tested??? What do you think?

IC
I've had mine, my mom's, the COD and a cousin that doesn't know his father tested.

I've met several people through this. Online only of course. It answered some questions. Our paternal name can be spelled two different ways and I wondered if a group of relatives I found were really related. Well one happened to take a test and we matched up. It was great to make contact. The families had not been in contact since the 1940s! They migrated from Mexico and went their separate ways.

Of course I've had several inquiries about paternity. People are just curious.
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Someone on Ancestry reached out to me and that is how I found out that my great grand father was one of 8 sibling who came over !

Made a difference in my research.
Carol V

Post by Carol V »

I did the Ancestry DNA test. My cousin did one too but not with Ancestry. When we weren't a match I was surprised but then I remembered the different company and knew why. Anyway, I asked my brother if he'd take it and he said yes. Well, there is no match there either. We should have matched the same as 1st cousins. We had different mothers but (supposedly) the same father so now I'm wondering, who's my daddy?? I was born 10 mos. and four days after they got married. Whether it's true or not I really don't care and neither does my family. Dad has been my dad for 76 years and I'm not curious enough to go looking for anything else.

Another strange thing is when I check out the DNA matches on Ancestry I do recognize some. I have four cousins on my maternal side and some of the people listed I know are related because of family names. But there are a LOT of names I've never heard of and don't recognize after 30+ years of researching. Makes me wonder if that's my "daddys" side of the family. As for my Dad's family, there are NO matches. It's probable that the majority of the family has never done a DNA test so there's that.

I'm going to South Dakota next month and I'm going to ask my nephew if he'll do the DNA test. He's my sisters son and I figure being that close there has to be a match? Especially if we had the same mother. If we have the same two parents we'll have a higher match, right? I'm curious to know and wish my sister was still here to do one herself.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I recently saw a program where two women who are in their late 60's or 70's, I think, did DNA test and found out that they are not biologically related to the people that they grew up with. They think they were switched at birth some how at the hospital where they were born. After making contact with each other and doing family pictures and comparisons it was amazing. One of them came from a very athletic family but in her non bio family she was the only athletic one but it made sense once she found out she was related to the athletic family.. Cannot remember all of the things that they discovered but it was interesting.. They are now friends and trying to get to know their biological families.. So sad to think that so many years they were not in their own bio family but seemed to have good lives. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama