Daily check in June 23, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Re: Daily check in June 23, 2018

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...
Janet, it's cooled off here, too. Overcast right now with highs supposed to be in the 70s.
Yesterday turned into one of those days. Was ready to make muffins, then DH asked me to come out to the ballfield to help measure fence lines, etc.
In the evening, we went to a concert in a nearby town ... there was a brief shower, but it let up. We sat for nearly 45 minutes, only to find out that the start time had been pushed back because of the rain. OK, but an announcement or a social media post would have been helpful. It was sponsored by a radio station, for heaven's sake. At that point, it started to rain again, so we said "enough," and left. At least we had some ice cream before the rain hit ;)

Oh, well, enough grousing. Perhaps I will get those muffins baked today along with some other Saturday chores ...

DG ... any chance you could return the new saw?
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning everyone,

Looks like it's going to rain today -overcast and drizzling right now. Dh and I got in our run before the rain. Glad that is out of the way - a bit of a struggle today. Have done a couple of loads of laundry and washed/cut up some fruit. Haven't done much else except waste time on the computer.

Hopefully no spending today - was kind of wanting to go to the farmer's market but talked myself out of it. I have a new book to start, which should quell any feelings of boredom.

Have a great day everyone!
Creative
rinty

Post by rinty »

Hey All,

Nice to hear all the geneaology tales !

Back home after a lovely day out, mind you the day began at 5am ( as DH couldn't sleep ;) DD had wanted to do a car boot, so she was going to drop by around 6am anyway to collect a few bits from us and a float ( from my change jar, I'll get it back )

I used to swear by doing Car Boots but if you read British blogs, these days £50 is seen as Amazing and you used to be able to make over £100 selling the same stuff. People who used to get stuff from Car boots now use facebook sites so the car booters buyers tend to only be those with pennies wanting you to sell for pennies.

Its still a good way to clear out stuff though an you end up with some cash in hand.

After the car boot, DD and I went off to The Cotswolds ( Very nice area, pretty town and villages ) for a Girls Day Out.

Fab. We ate out at a waffle shop (DGS6 choice, yum ) We did the Farmers Market andI came away with homemade elderflower cordial and apple juice, as its a such a posh area we also visited all the charity shops ! I got a Cath Kidston fabric bag for £6.99 ( BOOYAH !!!!!!!) its in a winter colours, love it. Also bought 3 books, nothing over 50p so pleased with that and my Best Buy was a this season top from NEXT. I had tried it on in NEXT a few months ago and liked it but it was over £20 and I only wanted it for work.

It was half price in The British Heart Foundation @ £2.25..............yes, please !

DD tried on a few bits but ended up buying something new instead in one of the many lovely boutiques. There was also a branch of ACCESSORIZE which had a million "bitz" perfect for DGKs Christmas stockings @ 50 % off so that was 3 g-daughters all done and dusted.

DD is the one who recently separated so it was good to have a day out with her and have a bit of fuss.

DH went to the allotment and was given some leek plants , they are sitting in some damp earth right now.

Its beautifully warm out. DH is a bit tired so we are tucked up watching Gardeners World on the telly ( stuff about allotments apparently ) I'll make cold chicken and salad (Yellow sticker haul by DH yesterday ) for dinner, we'll eat in the garden. I need to throw this new top in the wash on delicates..............but haven't started the laundry yet as theres only 2 loads so no problems there.

Very restful day but felt purposeful too.

DH wants to show off the allotment as I haven't seen it for 2 weeks so we'll pop down there in a minute.

Another FREEBI this week was a wooden wine carrier (?) One of those holders separated to hold 4 bottles ? A friend at work didn't want it. I have some Annie Sloan chalk paint in duck egg blue , then it will sit nicely in my kitchen.

All the best everyone x
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Greetings Friends. It has been a great Saturday so far. I got up early and did laundry and washed dishes, took the dogs about about a bizillion times! Did a little grocery shopping then hit the library (where I am now) to return books and movies as well as use the wifi to catch up on surveys, etc.

I am walking a bit more like something that resembles "normal" -- still a limp. Have 8 more weeks of physical therapy.

On the frugal front, it is "bare bones" at my house - as much as possible - but the dogs and I are well and happy. We hope you are all well and happy too!

~~S~~
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:45 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

The sun is shining, but I don't know for how long. I am hoping to hit a couple of garage sales this morning before I have to do any real house work. One sale looks as if it could be the mother-lode for craft type supplies and fabric. Would really be nice if I could pick up a few things relatively inexpensively. We shall see.

Hubby fertilized my flowers yesterday and I believe that today he will be doing his garden, he also fixed the valve on the water barrel, did some measuring in the front yard for the manure, and more clean up in the back. I have noticed not as much of his stuff being put in the pile for tossing, or donation. Seems like I am always being called downstairs to see if "I (meaning me) really need to hold onto this or that item)". Oh well at least I am downsizing.

We have had no real interest in the speakers I put online so I think they will just end up being recycled or donated.

Frugally speaking hitting up the yard/garage sales with a list this weekend (my first foray this summer), using up what I can where I can, and just plain keeping track of what is spent where. Going to be a great deal of traveling this summer to football games, picking people up at airports, and just plain spending keeping up the house, that saving where we can is important.

Also if we end up having been dragged into a trade war with our closest neighbour, well I want to be ready. I know that the Canadian economy will take a dive, stocks and investments fall, and we need to prepare ourselves for that eventuality.

Supper this evening was going to be salmon patties. Instead I had those last night and today I am going to look through the freezers and see what needs using up. I have a few containers that lost their labels so need to check them out. It is going to be a lovely surprise.

Today I am grateful for what looks to be a gorgeous morning. The birds are busy chirping and singing, they bring a smile to my face.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie, as your neighbor I just have no words at all. I know that you know that not all of your neighbors agree with any of what is going on.

Just pray for Nov 2018, there are lots of people working very hard to turn things around.

Any I may not know much, but I do know that a trade war does no one any good. :(

IC
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Rinty, you are one savvy shopper to score that lovely top for so little!

I slept in a bit and then gave the dogs a bath, followed by giving myself a bath because they sling dirty, sudsy water all over me. But we are all clean and fluffy now. :)

Ordered dry food and allergy safe treats for them, which came to $87, but should last more than than a month.

Not sure what else the day will bring. I need to dust the furniture, but got a lot of things done earlier this week.
Mackie