Daily check in June 23, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily check in June 23, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

icfrugal1 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:06 pm
Jackielou wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:45 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

The sun is shining, but I don't know for how long. I am hoping to hit a couple of garage sales this morning before I have to do any real house work. One sale looks as if it could be the mother-lode for craft type supplies and fabric. Would really be nice if I could pick up a few things relatively inexpensively. We shall see.

Hubby fertilized my flowers yesterday and I believe that today he will be doing his garden, he also fixed the valve on the water barrel, did some measuring in the front yard for the manure, and more clean up in the back. I have noticed not as much of his stuff being put in the pile for tossing, or donation. Seems like I am always being called downstairs to see if "I (meaning me) really need to hold onto this or that item)". Oh well at least I am downsizing.

We have had no real interest in the speakers I put online so I think they will just end up being recycled or donated.

Frugally speaking hitting up the yard/garage sales with a list this weekend (my first foray this summer), using up what I can where I can, and just plain keeping track of what is spent where. Going to be a great deal of traveling this summer to football games, picking people up at airports, and just plain spending keeping up the house, that saving where we can is important.

Also if we end up having been dragged into a trade war with our closest neighbour, well I want to be ready. I know that the Canadian economy will take a dive, stocks and investments fall, and we need to prepare ourselves for that eventuality.

Supper this evening was going to be salmon patties. Instead I had those last night and today I am going to look through the freezers and see what needs using up. I have a few containers that lost their labels so need to check them out. It is going to be a lovely surprise.

Today I am grateful for what looks to be a gorgeous morning. The birds are busy chirping and singing, they bring a smile to my face.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie, as your neighbor I just have no words at all. I know that you know that not all of your neighbors agree with any of what is going on.

Just pray for Nov 2018, there are lots of people working very hard to turn things around.

Any I may not know much, but I do know that a trade war does no one any good. :(

IC
Oh, I definitely know that probably most of my southern neighbours do not agree with what is happening. I am praying for a turn around come November as well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Good Morning Everyone,

Awoke to thunder, and looked out to a cloudy overcast day. The rain hasn't started yet, but it probably will in a few minutes. I don't care as I have inside work to do today and that will keep me busy. I'm in a sewing mood and I am going to work on the last set of pillowcases for Mr. B. I have them done except hemming the tops on one set, shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to complete. I will then work on my placemats for the round table in the kitchen. I found this idea on pinterest and I haven't seen them in a store. Completely free as I had everything I needed on hand to make. I wanted them thicker on a glass table so I have used an old mattress pad as my batting and it's going to work out great. They will be reversible and match my kitchen curtains.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/559642691176595190/
I will also make matching reversible napkins to go with them.

A really nice set of placemats and napkins will cost around $100.00 so I feel real accomplished by being able to do this little project. I love a pretty table setting and this will be a perfect background to put my new dishes on that I bought at Kroger a few weeks ago. I know it's my imagination, but I think it makes the food taste better.

Speaking of eating, I didn't get up until 10:00 this morning so I had pizza for brunch. I know it's not healthy eating, but I had frozen leftovers from one that I had purchased last week. One large pizza will give me 8 servings and it freezes well. I am so glad that I like leftovers. Mr. B isn't a big fan of leftovers and he will eat the same thing everyday for a week instead. I like a variety and would rather freeze for a future meal. He calls me the Freezer Queen. He baked sweet potatoes yesterday and said he thought he had done to many. I suggested that he freeze the extra's and he said he didn't like them frozen. I asked him if he had ever frozen them before and he said no. I told him to try it once and see. I bake 5 or 6 for myself at a time and I don't believe I could tell the difference in taste from the one right out of the oven or one that has been frozen and reheated in the oven or microwave. I bake mine in the oven, wrap them in foil and then place in a ziplock bag individually. I take them out of the freezer and place in the fridge a day ahead of when I am going to eat them. If I have time will leave the foil on and reheat in a conventional oven. If I am in a hurry, I will remove the foil and reheat in microwave. I don't like them baked in a microwave, prefer the conventional oven as I think they taste better, sweeter. Will see what he thinks after he gives it a try.

Glad that all of you are feeling a little better and hope it continues. My Mississippi State baseball team is playing again tonight and I don't believe that they can beat this Oregon team. I had high hopes when they started, but they didn't look that good last night against Oregon, got beat badly and now they face them again tonight. We shall see.

I got hooked on The Ranch last season and the new season started again last Friday night and I finished it last night. I was disappointed how it ended. I knew they were writing out Danny Masterson's character, "Rooster", but I wonder if the show will survive without him. Danny was accused of some sexual misconduct and Netflix fired him. I guess they had enough footage that they could somehow do this new season.

Well, time for me to get to my sewing machine and it's now raining like crazy so everyone have a wonderful day.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

rinty wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:37 am Hey All,

Nice to hear all the geneaology tales !

Back home after a lovely day out, mind you the day began at 5am ( as DH couldn't sleep ;) DD had wanted to do a car boot, so she was going to drop by around 6am anyway to collect a few bits from us and a float ( from my change jar, I'll get it back )

I used to swear by doing Car Boots but if you read British blogs, these days £50 is seen as Amazing and you used to be able to make over £100 selling the same stuff. People who used to get stuff from Car boots now use facebook sites so the car booters buyers tend to only be those with pennies wanting you to sell for pennies.

Its still a good way to clear out stuff though an you end up with some cash in hand.

After the car boot, DD and I went off to The Cotswolds ( Very nice area, pretty town and villages ) for a Girls Day Out.

Fab. We ate out at a waffle shop (DGS6 choice, yum ) We did the Farmers Market andI came away with homemade elderflower cordial and apple juice, as its a such a posh area we also visited all the charity shops ! I got a Cath Kidston fabric bag for £6.99 ( BOOYAH !!!!!!!) its in a winter colours, love it. Also bought 3 books, nothing over 50p so pleased with that and my Best Buy was a this season top from NEXT. I had tried it on in NEXT a few months ago and liked it but it was over £20 and I only wanted it for work.

It was half price in The British Heart Foundation @ £2.25..............yes, please !

DD tried on a few bits but ended up buying something new instead in one of the many lovely boutiques. There was also a branch of ACCESSORIZE which had a million "bitz" perfect for DGKs Christmas stockings @ 50 % off so that was 3 g-daughters all done and dusted.

DD is the one who recently separated so it was good to have a day out with her and have a bit of fuss.

DH went to the allotment and was given some leek plants , they are sitting in some damp earth right now.

Its beautifully warm out. DH is a bit tired so we are tucked up watching Gardeners World on the telly ( stuff about allotments apparently ) I'll make cold chicken and salad (Yellow sticker haul by DH yesterday ) for dinner, we'll eat in the garden. I need to throw this new top in the wash on delicates..............but haven't started the laundry yet as theres only 2 loads so no problems there.

Very restful day but felt purposeful too.

DH wants to show off the allotment as I haven't seen it for 2 weeks so we'll pop down there in a minute.

Another FREEBI this week was a wooden wine carrier (?) One of those holders separated to hold 4 bottles ? A friend at work didn't want it. I have some Annie Sloan chalk paint in duck egg blue , then it will sit nicely in my kitchen.

All the best everyone x
Rinty I just was made aware of Annie Sloan chalk paint. Have you done anything big with it? I am thinking of using it on my kitchen cabinets.. They are oak and I would prefer to paint them white with Annie Sloan chalk paint but since it is new to me not sure about results. When I see chalk paint it makes me think of eraser boards from when I was a kid and that it will be easy to wash away..lol.

Love hearing about all of your food finds and things you and your DH are growing in your garden.. You do live a full active life. Wish I had enough energy to do 1/4 of the things you do.
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:47 pm Greetings Friends. It has been a great Saturday so far. I got up early and did laundry and washed dishes, took the dogs about about a bizillion times! Did a little grocery shopping then hit the library (where I am now) to return books and movies as well as use the wifi to catch up on surveys, etc.

I am walking a bit more like something that resembles "normal" -- still a limp. Have 8 more weeks of physical therapy.

On the frugal front, it is "bare bones" at my house - as much as possible - but the dogs and I are well and happy. We hope you are all well and happy too!

~~S~~
Good to hear from you Sheila.. I often wonder how you are doing...Good to hear your knee is improving but soft tissue injuries take a lot longer to heal than fractures.

Good to hear that you and your fur babies are well and happy. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:48 pm Good Morning Everyone,

Awoke to thunder, and looked out to a cloudy overcast day. The rain hasn't started yet, but it probably will in a few minutes. I don't care as I have inside work to do today and that will keep me busy. I'm in a sewing mood and I am going to work on the last set of pillowcases for Mr. B. I have them done except hemming the tops on one set, shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to complete. I will then work on my placemats for the round table in the kitchen. I found this idea on pinterest and I haven't seen them in a store. Completely free as I had everything I needed on hand to make. I wanted them thicker on a glass table so I have used an old mattress pad as my batting and it's going to work out great. They will be reversible and match my kitchen curtains.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/559642691176595190/
I will also make matching reversible napkins to go with them.

A really nice set of placemats and napkins will cost around $100.00 so I feel real accomplished by being able to do this little project. I love a pretty table setting and this will be a perfect background to put my new dishes on that I bought at Kroger a few weeks ago. I know it's my imagination, but I think it makes the food taste better.

Speaking of eating, I didn't get up until 10:00 this morning so I had pizza for brunch. I know it's not healthy eating, but I had frozen leftovers from one that I had purchased last week. One large pizza will give me 8 servings and it freezes well. I am so glad that I like leftovers. Mr. B isn't a big fan of leftovers and he will eat the same thing everyday for a week instead. I like a variety and would rather freeze for a future meal. He calls me the Freezer Queen. He baked sweet potatoes yesterday and said he thought he had done to many. I suggested that he freeze the extra's and he said he didn't like them frozen. I asked him if he had ever frozen them before and he said no. I told him to try it once and see. I bake 5 or 6 for myself at a time and I don't believe I could tell the difference in taste from the one right out of the oven or one that has been frozen and reheated in the oven or microwave. I bake mine in the oven, wrap them in foil and then place in a ziplock bag individually. I take them out of the freezer and place in the fridge a day ahead of when I am going to eat them. If I have time will leave the foil on and reheat in a conventional oven. If I am in a hurry, I will remove the foil and reheat in microwave. I don't like them baked in a microwave, prefer the conventional oven as I think they taste better, sweeter. Will see what he thinks after he gives it a try.

Glad that all of you are feeling a little better and hope it continues. My Mississippi State baseball team is playing again tonight and I don't believe that they can beat this Oregon team. I had high hopes when they started, but they didn't look that good last night against Oregon, got beat badly and now they face them again tonight. We shall see.

I got hooked on The Ranch last season and the new season started again last Friday night and I finished it last night. I was disappointed how it ended. I knew they were writing out Danny Masterson's character, "Rooster", but I wonder if the show will survive without him. Danny was accused of some sexual misconduct and Netflix fired him. I guess they had enough footage that they could somehow do this new season.

Well, time for me to get to my sewing machine and it's now raining like crazy so everyone have a wonderful day.
Libby I love what you are doing with the place mat idea. I think a nice place setting with table cloth, cloth napkins etc is always a good idea to make things look and taste better.

I once had a diabetic dietitian tell me there is nothing wrong with eating a slice of pizza for breakfast as long as it is not super overloaded with meat.. She said pizza can be a healthy food if eaten in the right portion and toppings. She also said you can eat a sandwich for breakfast. At the time I was not big on eating breakfast foods. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

my car is home!