cheap or frugal?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

cheap or frugal?

Post by icfrugal1 »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/pe ... 725583002/

I used to tend toward cheap, now I am financially conservative. :lol:

IC
littlemiss63

Re: cheap or frugal?

Post by littlemiss63 »

I don't consider myself cheap, but frugal yes. My late husbands philosophy was "everything goes on sale at one time or the other".

The problem with that is that whenever something needs replacing in an emergency it isn't on sale. That is the reason I have always been a planner. I try to keep up with how long we had had a major appliance and what the life of it was. We have replaced items before they completely died for that reason. We knew if we were having problems with a car, the time to start looking was before it played out completely.

I always have in my wardrobe an outfit that can be worn for any occasion so I am not caught in the position of buying a piece of clothing that isn't on sale. I try never to pay full-price for an article of clothing of any kind. I bought a maxi dress (on sale) that I still felt like I had paid to much for. I wanted a shrug or sweater to wear with it and could find nothing on sale that I liked. I freeze in these restaurants that have their a/c's so low and must have a light cover-up. I came home and researched E-bay and found exactly what I was looking for for $10.00. It was a name brand, with tags. My class reunion isn't until August, but I started looking for outfits in April that were on sale. I love Baretrap Shoes and found a pair on Amazon at $19.99 that sold for $59.99. I always buy several pair of sandals a year before I need them when they are on sale.

I don't cherry pick my food sales as much as I did when DH was alive, because I don't eat as much. I use to sit down with the ads and I'd go to two or three stores for their sales. Now I cook more from scratch than I use to. I still watch the sales for cleaning supplies. I prefer certain brands and when they are on sale will buy a year's supply.

I believe in tipping and if it's exceptional service I will tip above my normal 20%. I know what a hard job that is and their pay is so low anyway.

I use my credit cards to my advantage. I pay them off at the end of the month and never carry a balance. They pay me for using the card and to me that is another stream of income. I use the credit card that gives me the highest % off on groceries or gas. Right now my Citibank card gives me 2% on everything so it gets the most usage except when I am buying groceries and gas. I have a BankAmericard that gives me 3% on gas and American Express gives me 3% on Groceries. They will stop this some day and when they do I will stop using credit cards and go to all cash. But until they do, if I can earn cash back on everything I have to spend for essentials I will use them. Frugal yes, cheap no.

I have a site that I buy gift cards from as well. If I can save 6-10% on a gift card, then use my charge card to earn another 2-3% that can be a very nice discount. If I can find a Lowes or Home Depot gift card that is better than 5% I will buy them as I am always needing things for the business. I get 5% on my charge cards from those two places so it's not worth my while if it's 5% or less. E-bay use to have some good ones, but once folks caught on those sometime go for more money than they are worth. I don't know if people get caught up in the bidding, but they will sometimes pay more than the card is worth.

I just believe in getting the most value for our money.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I always make sure I have funeral clothes.

Wedding stuff is planned ahead of time - funerals - nope.

I do get most things on sale. I don't shop in stores. I like to buy online so that saves me time also.

Always look for a coupon code to use too.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

According to the article, I am frugal but somewhat cheap too. :D

However, with my family [teenagers] eating, and using other items, as much as they do, I try to be as frugal as I can so that I can stretch household monies as much as possible.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

After reading the article - I disagree with some and agree with others.

The difference between cheap and frugal has always been simple for me. You are cheap when you do things that harm other people or save money at other people's expense. If you don't tip because "no one ever tipped you at your job" you are cheap because tipping is standard and expected and depended upon by wait staff. If you go home and cook because it is too expensive to eat out and tip, then you are frugal.

Others may disagree of course - but for me it is easily defined.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

colonialgirl wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 am After reading the article - I disagree with some and agree with others.

The difference between cheap and frugal has always been simple for me. You are cheap when you do things that harm other people or save money at other people's expense. If you don't tip because "no one ever tipped you at your job" you are cheap because tipping is standard and expected and depended upon by wait staff. If you go home and cook because it is too expensive to eat out and tip, then you are frugal.

Others may disagree of course - but for me it is easily defined.
Very good explanation, CG.