Daily Check in July 6, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in July 6, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:20 am Good Friday morning all,

It is good to have the house painting done. The painters would arrive early, 7 am and it knocked me off schedule. I chose the color milk to honor the US dairy farmers who were forced out of business by the high tariffs imposed on them by NAFTA and Canada. Leaving NAFTA was a good thing. Now to paint the door and trim.

Electricity went out to half the house yesterday morning. I called it into the electric company for repairs and got a woman who said I didn't have a problem. It was a squirrel somewhere. So I called my electrician. He said he would come in the afternoon. The handyman had stopped by to price some work and tested the incoming electricity. He said I was only getting half of the required electricity. As we were talking, I saw the repair truck go down the street and I waved him down. There was a short in the equipment on the pole, no squirrel was involved. I now have power restored.

I had the handyman over to price several little projects. He will be available next Wednesday. Lowe's has my favorite pavers on sale. I want to put a walkway and patio in the front now that I have a new driveway. I may hire it done or not. I enjoy building things myself. I would do more if we didn't have stifling heat right now. Really limits my time outside.

I completed the coupon stacking offered by Petsmart. I got my $10 off a $20 purchase. That was easy with a cat that eats 3 cans of food a day. I put aside several cases for hurricane season. I have to figure out the rebate system for the paint I bought for the house. I have the paperwork, but I can't figure out which number is the ID number. I will drop over to Home Depot and find out. The paint company owner wanted me to buy 20 gallons of top coat. I only bought 15 and I made the right decision. The top coat is tinted and can't be returned. I really could have gotten by with 10 gallons, but it would have been close. So now I have a bit of paint to store until cooler, drier weather. I like painting. Things looks so fresh.

Today, I will try to finish the front flower bed before heading out to get some more pavers from Lowe's. Aldi's has a couple of things and that is near by, so good trip. Maybe tackle the leak in the awning. Today I am grateful for electricity. It was scary to not have it. Have a good day everyone. Stay safe. Stay healthy.
Nafta is still being worked on. Canada has hormone free milk we don't want US milk really but if you look at import numbers we do import more from the US than the US does from us.

Canada has a strict marketing and supply structure for milk and poultry. I have relatives that dairy farm in the states and they wish they had the same structure as we do. They figure fewer would be worried about being run out of business.

I think you should do some research in a little more depth. However you are entitled to your opinion.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It is going to be a hot one today and as we have not had rain in a couple of days I will be out watering my plants. I think Hubby should water the garden as well later this evening.

From the amount of pictures and video that oldest DS plastered on Facebook I think he enjoyed the football game immensely. It seems like he thinks little brother knows more about football than he does, mind you little brother likes football and baseball, big brother can usually care less about those two sports.

Not much happening around here today. I will be heading out for my frugal walk about early as usual, and probably turning on the air conditioning very early. Good thing we have managed a few days without it as from today on it is going to be very, very hot and it will definitely be needed.

I then have the usual Friday chores to take care of and a meal to figure out..... I need to ask if youngest DS mentioned when he planned on coming home next...Today or later.

I did not get the sewing machine out yesterday much to my disappointment. I developed a headache and just did not feel like doing very much. The headache seems to be gone so perhaps this afternoon I will get moving on those sewing projects. Perhaps starting with the shorts I cut out and leaving some of the more complicated tops will get me back in the mood.

Since the air conditioning will be on today I think I might do a bit of baking. The rhubarb pudding cake is almost gone, so a chocolate cake is in order, plus if I pull out the mini donut machine I can whip up a batch of those as well.

There will be no spending today which is a very good thing.

Today I am grateful that the guys in my life had a lovely day of bonding.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:44 am

It is good to have the house painting done. The painters would arrive early, 7 am and it knocked me off schedule. I chose the color milk to honor the US dairy farmers who were forced out of business by the high tariffs imposed on them by NAFTA and Canada. Leaving NAFTA was a good thing. Now to paint the door and trim.

Electricity went out to half the house yesterday morning. I called it into the electric company for repairs and got a woman who said I didn't have a problem. It was a squirrel somewhere. So I called my electrician. He said he would come in the afternoon. The handyman had stopped by to price some work and tested the incoming electricity. He said I was only getting half of the required electricity. As we were talking, I saw the repair truck go down the street and I waved him down. There was a short in the equipment on the pole, no squirrel was involved. I now have power restored.

I had the handyman over to price several little projects. He will be available next Wednesday. Lowe's has my favorite pavers on sale. I want to put a walkway and patio in the front now that I have a new driveway. I may hire it done or not. I enjoy building things myself. I would do more if we didn't have stifling heat right now. Really limits my time outside.

I completed the coupon stacking offered by Petsmart. I got my $10 off a $20 purchase. That was easy with a cat that eats 3 cans of food a day. I put aside several cases for hurricane season. I have to figure out the rebate system for the paint I bought for the house. I have the paperwork, but I can't figure out which number is the ID number. I will drop over to Home Depot and find out. The paint company owner wanted me to buy 20 gallons of top coat. I only bought 15 and I made the right decision. The top coat is tinted and can't be returned. I really could have gotten by with 10 gallons, but it would have been close. So now I have a bit of paint to store until cooler, drier weather. I like painting. Things looks so fresh.

Today, I will try to finish the front flower bed before heading out to get some more pavers from Lowe's. Aldi's has a couple of things and that is near by, so good trip. Maybe tackle the leak in the awning. Today I am grateful for electricity. It was scary to not have it. Have a good day everyone. Stay safe. Stay healthy.
You are so ridiculous. You chose the color milk to support dairy farmers. HaHa. Is that what they told you on Fox? Small dairy farmers are hurt by corporate conglomeration in the dairy industry. I read this interesting article just the other day. But I'm sure you won't want to read it. But for others interested.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/38548577/be ... as-you-can

By the way, we have not left NAFTA.

You win. This country is so screwed.
Florida~ Why do you even bother to reply to this. It is so tiresome.
Some people just like to stir up trouble. Hugs to you. Trees
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Jackielou wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:11 am

Nafta is still being worked on. Canada has hormone free milk we don't want US milk really but if you look at import numbers we do import more from the US than the US does from us.

Canada has a strict marketing and supply structure for milk and poultry. I have relatives that dairy farm in the states and they wish they had the same structure as we do. They figure fewer would be worried about being run out of business.

I think you should do some research in a little more depth. However you are entitled to your opinion.
Jackie, You are very patient. Thank you.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:31 am
floridacatlover wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:44 am

You are so ridiculous. You chose the color milk to support dairy farmers. HaHa. Is that what they told you on Fox? Small dairy farmers are hurt by corporate conglomeration in the dairy industry. I read this interesting article just the other day. But I'm sure you won't want to read it. But for others interested.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/38548577/be ... as-you-can

By the way, we have not left NAFTA.

You win. This country is so screwed.
Florida~ Why do you even bother to reply to this. It is so tiresome.
Some people just like to stir up trouble. Hugs to you. Trees
Sometimes it just gets to me. So often I've considered leaving the forum. Maybe now is the time.
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

I'm so happy for you that things are moving alone for you, painting handyman etc. It all seems to come together at once doesn't it ??

IC