Avocado storage

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Avocado storage

Post by Dgflorida »

Avocados are wonderful food, but seemingly hard to store. I recently saw a video put up by a woman who said she freezes them without any brown. She cut them in half, put them flat in a freezer bag and then used a straw at one corner of the mostly sealed bag to suck the air out. Then closed it. Has anyone tried this? What method do you use to keep avocados?
BevMoore

Re: Avocado storage

Post by BevMoore »

I'm interested in finding this out too. Avocados seem to have a way of getting away from me and by the time I realize it's ready to use it's already turning brown.

Bev
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Never buy more than what you will eat.

I can't imagine freezing avocado. I'm sure it can be done, but nothing beats a just right ripened avocado.

That is why I no longer go to big grocery store with all the fabulous displays - buy stuff and then don't use it all.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Bev, I am going to try it when avocados are on sale next. I know they do freeze guacamole and use the same principle of sucking the air out. I thought it was novel to suck it out of a freezer bag with a straw. Why didn't I think of that?
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

At one point in Canada freezer bags contained a straw to suck out all the air. My mom would fill the bags and one of us children got the job of sucking the air out.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thanks for the information. That is very interesting. Good ideas surface again and again.