Christmas In July

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Christmas In July

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Sheila I think you have it right gift wise. Personally I LOVE the cooking/baking aspect and wouldn't cut that down and I do like me Christmas DECOR :) ( but its a nice small by US standards 3 bed and I chucked away crates worth of DECOR last year finally accepting we have DOWNSIZED and there just ain't room anymore.

I do Practical Décor up to a point. I love using Christmas bedlinen/towels/dishtowels and all the pictures in the house are either gift wrapped and replaced on the wall ............LOOKS REALLY GOOD and the cost in minimal.......just gift wrap and ribbon. And all the framed photos are replaced with Christmas photos...............which is a lovely family memory thing with folk that have passed on and even old Olan Mills cheesy Family at Christmas ones when the kids were small.

If it were my choice I would def do what you have done, that Dollar Store angel is cute...........Katieowl did a version where she made a rabbit and called it a Dust Bunnie.........they were very clever.

The gift cards and fun addition of a couple of scratch cards is perfect......and its what they actually WANT, not just "stuff".

WE have got a further £60 in vouchers for FREE for Christmas.............£50 amazon vouchers from our electricity provider and £10 from a catalogue shop where we bought a new mattress.

We have a lot of " have to" gifts to get........... Tom seems to have a million carers/day service helpers etc. I got them all a Starbucks gift card bought buying for everyone ( and you have to ) ran to around £100 !!!!!!

My friend has 5 kids like we do and grandchildren. She now presents the parents with the fact that the family budget is £100. Do they want it all spent on the grandkids, a family gift, what ? One year she got an end of year sale DEAL from a big shop that does camping gear............you got a tent/sleeping bags family size for £100. Another year SHE made the decision again when the grandkids were babies and bought them tumble driers.

If I am honest I know longer enjoy gift giving at all. The kids all earn good money and don't need us straining our budget to buy them something highend they could buy themselves. Also now there are 8 DGKs its the same thing. My choice would be to give their parenst money to buy that big Toy o' THeir Choice rather than me search out some over priced tat tahst within the budget.
[/quote]

Rinty I love and adore reading your posts "all about Christmas" - puts me in a jovial mood and makes me look forward to the holiday - decorating my tree, the carols played over the loudspeakers all around town and the bells playing carols at the churches...
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:07 am I think that I will make some of Jackie's soup bowl holders (fabric covers that you put a bowl in into the microwave, so you don't have to hunt up a pot-holder) for one brother's family; perhaps some for my family too. I'll finish an afghan for another brother & (hopefully) knit a hat & scarf set from leftover yarn.

For a few years, I've been hoping to make new Christmas stockings for my family - it was to have been one of my summer projects this year, guess who forgot. :D I think I can still do this however, using the string piecing quilting technique, but instead of using a block of fabric, I'll use a large stocking shape. (String piecing tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ02NM9-USw)

I'm considering making doll clothes for my little girls, and maybe make each girl a tiny cloth doll houses -- I have seen some really cute ones. I certainly have enough fabric... and I could knit them hats too.

Sounds like I should have started this in January! :lol:
Gayle, My mother made all kinds of doll clothes for my sister's Barbie.
She had such patience. Little jackets with fur collars.....skirts and jackets. My sister is 68 years old and she ha skept some of them.
( I wasn't much into dolls....:)
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:07 am I think that I will make some of Jackie's soup bowl holders (fabric covers that you put a bowl in into the microwave, so you don't have to hunt up a pot-holder) for one brother's family; perhaps some for my family too. I'll finish an afghan for another brother & (hopefully) knit a hat & scarf set from leftover yarn.

For a few years, I've been hoping to make new Christmas stockings for my family - it was to have been one of my summer projects this year, guess who forgot. :D I think I can still do this however, using the string piecing quilting technique, but instead of using a block of fabric, I'll use a large stocking shape. (String piecing tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ02NM9-USw)

I'm considering making doll clothes for my little girls, and maybe make each girl a tiny cloth doll houses -- I have seen some really cute ones. I certainly have enough fabric... and I could knit them hats too.

Sounds like I should have started this in January! :lol:
My mind wandered during Church today (shane on me!), and I tried remembering what I was going to make for my children. Had the thought that I should make “Sunday bags” for girls and maybe ds10... little bags that unbutton into a flat with pockets for notebooks, crayons, and pencils. Maybe a snack pouch as well.

Am still considering the tiny houses. Also thinking about making girls’ Christmas dresses, and PJ pants for All children.

Dh wants us to give our children, at least 3 youngest, new bikes for Christmas! 😮😮 I wish he'd said something months ago... oh well, I think we can save enough for that, and HOPEFULLY I can sub plenty in rest of this Month And November to help buy them. 🤞🤞

My friend still wants me to make Rendezvous shirts for her boys, but 2 each (10 totall!!😮😮) by Christmas too. I’d better plan to sew lots in coming evenings!!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I have a couple of things off my Christmas list.

I have the quilt finished for oldest DS.

2 pairs of mittens for each of my brother's twin girls.

Some little ornaments made for the second tree.

Still to work on

a robe

3 heating pads

one rug for youngest DS

Soup bowl covers (for us and youngest DS).

3 pairs of mitts for the guys using the colours of the football team.

Then of course there is the baking yet to accomplish. Hopefully a few more will be done before the end of the month.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/