Daily check in July 22, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in July 22, 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all. Just to get it started.

Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in July 22, 2018

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Sunday morning all,

The low temperature last night was 82F. So the ac is already coming on. Somehow it feels wrong for the ac to come on a 6 am. It feels expensive too. The humidity in the house is staying high as well. I changed out the dehumidifier containers in the dry closet. Both had turned to water. Also opened a new solid freshener in the closet. So that monthly chore is done.

Yesterday, we got a few hours without rain and I took the 4x8 peg board sheet that I rescued from the old shed out to the porch area and cut it with my circular saw. Today, I plan to paint the pieces before hanging them up in the work room and the utility room. Painting the pieces will make them nice looking for the house and will be an upcycle. It is a great chance to use up some of the paint I bought for painting the desk I built for hubs when we first moved here as well. I hope the paint is still good. I hope it dries fast. I have some peg board hooks already, so by mid week, everything should be finished on that project and I can organize things better. I love frugal projects.

Yesterday, I saw some bromiliads thrown out on the curb. I got some nice ones tossed out at that house a few months back. I planted them and they have bloomed. I picked out the best ones on the curb yesterday and brought them home. Today I will plant them. I hope they do well. Other peoples junk can be my treasure. I also think I will cut some coleus for rooting in a couple of lovely small wine bottles I recycled.

Today, I will do monthly check up on the water conditioner salt and a couple of other things. Depending on what I find, I may make a trip south today. If I do, I will get some more chicken thighs on sale at the save a lot. Hubs is in a stir-fry mood. 68c/lb is a good price. I froze the chicken fat and the chicken jelly off the last package for later use.

My cat doesn't like expensive food either, Jackielou. The vet said it was better for her. She sniffed it, said "nope" and walked away. Luckily, I only bought one can of it.

Today, I am grateful that I can build things and use power equipment. Have a good day everyone. Stay cool. Stay safe.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Cloudy and overcast today. The sky looks very interesting however, lots of striated clouds all different shades ranging from pink where the sun can actually hit them to a deeper indigo almost inky black.

The social/wedding reception was a bit so so. We sat with some old friends and a few in the family. Really, we no longer seem to have much in common with people anymore. I have a feeling we are becoming hermits. Hubby really never talked very much and seemed to be more into himself than usual. We did take a bit of a walk to look around the improvements done to his brother's farm. There have been lots, things are looking very good out there right now. I just hope K can keep things up as he is getting older and older (just like the rest of the family). I always feel out of place around Hubby's family. Kind of like the crazy aunt they want to hide away and not talk to.

I will be waking Hubby up shortly to head to Mass. He will get a bit more sleep, then I get to kick him out of bed. Sure hope our priest is once again not long winded. At the end of last Mass he mentioned water at the back of the church for those who felt faint or needed a drink.... We may just be in trouble for the next 5 or 6 years and have to listen to longer and longer homilies.

Frugally speaking the only spending today will be on the church donation envelope. I have no intentions of leaving the house once we get back.

Bread will be made, dehydrating accomplished, 3 hanging baskets watered, lists made, and knitting hopefully finished.

I have a feeling the air conditioning will be turned on earlier today. Yesterday we managed a large portion without it. Today, though, is another story as there is no breeze and it is already fairly warmish inside.

I would also like to get some more cleaning done, but that could be a pipe dream. I seem to be getting so tired out by mid day all I want to do is sit and do handwork projects.

Supper this evening is going to be roast pork. Perhaps roasted potatoes, along with corn and coleslaw to round things out (my goodness one little cabbage yields a great deal of slaw).

Today I am grateful for the tiny rain shower we just got and very hopeful there are more coming.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Another warm day here in south texas

Will probably just stick around the house and do general house stuff.

Maybe water some plants, clean out the fridge

Thought about doing laundry today instead of tomorrow - but no.

Should mop the kitchen also

Hope all have a great day

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ..
Right now it's 67 (19c) and it looks like we got a good rain overnight.
Got quite a bit accomplished yesterday in terms of general housekeeping. Put the towels back in the linen closet, sheets are next.
I'm trying to figure out storage for tablecloths/placemats that I can put on the closet floor. I was using heavy plastic bags, like the kind that bedspreads, etc. come in. But they are getting discolored and brittle, and I have a tendency to just toss stuff on top. Looked at storage containers/bins, but can't find quite what I want. Was thinking maybe a laundry basket?
Anyway, have a few chores to do today ... my dishes are piling up (interesting that one person can generate so many dishes, LOL!)

DG & Jackie, my cats are quite happy to eat expensive food. Was given some high-end wet food (originally given to a friend ... her cats wouldn't eat it) and my two thought it was great. Fortunately, they went back to the less-expensive stuff without fussing.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. It is a lovely 66 F here and going to stay in the low 80's. I love it! Had the doors and windows all day yesterday and will do the same today.

Not much going on here other than cooking and doing dishes.

Have a lovely Sunday everyone. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama