July 25 2018 Daily check-in

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

July 25 2018 Daily check-in

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Starting us off. :)

Good Morning, Happy Wednesday to you all!!
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

gaylejackson2

Re: July 25 2018 Daily check-in

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Good Morning everyone!

I slept well from 10:30pm to 3 am MDT, then laid in bed for another 40 minutes before giving up and rising for the day.

I guess I've been thinking waaaayyyyyy too much about all the things I/we needed to do before leaving today for our family reunion, AND heading off to Dh's family ranch for the following week. This might be THE FIRST TIME I've ever been 100% ready to go (on a out-of-town trip) before dh was. :lol:

As I was awake, I decided to make good use of the time, and I made a double-batch of GF bread so that I could also have enough dough to make rolls, And a loaf of bread. 9 "rolls" are rising (aka sloppy joe buns), oven is heating, 24 "rolls" are in freezer for future baking, and the remainder of dough is in bread-maker on the "bake-only" setting. I've been listening to scriptures, and now The Piano Guys (youTube), while I worked -- this seems to help me move along on doing my chores.

It's heavily cloudy & overcast here, although I suspect that these moist clouds will race off to the east and dump on western Colorado -- not saying that they don't need rain, but we BADLY need rain right here, and I wish that we'd gotten a heavy downpour last night.

There are a few things that we need to do before leaving, last minute items like filling blue water jugs, closing windows & blinds, giving kitties & lizards extra food, watering & covering houseplants, gathering dog items, etc. I should also go for a walk today, just because my chores are all mostly done, and I Need that bit of extra relaxation today

I have also been toying with the idea of cleaning girls' carpet & dd7's mattress just before we leave -- so that seemingly permanent 'scent' will be removed.

Dinner tonight will either be "beef" (Deer) & veggies stew, or Frito pie. Lunches will be sandwiches. I need to double/triple-check that I have ALL of the ingredients for Friday's family supper of Sloppy Joes in the trailer before we leave.

Oven has dinged, so time to go put my sloppy joe buns in to cook for 15 minutes.

Today, I'm most grateful for having been able to finish ALL of my big chores before leaving-time -- usually I'm super grouchy with my children because I'm sooo far behind.
This time I chose to NOT wash everyone's laundry, try to clean house minutely, etc ... I chose to leave Some Things undone just to keep peace within myself... I did cave last night & make GF oatmeal cookies that are pretty good -- am not sure how many will actually make it to family reunion, but they'll keep my children from complaining TOO MUCH I hope.

May you all have a lovely day, and rest of the week.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Wednesday morning all,

Thanks for starting us off, Gayle. I started on my morning walk and it started raining. So no walk today. Hubs is ending his pain medicine vacation. This time was harder than last time. He is on a cane, close to using the chair. But he started the medication this morning, so he should be walking again soon.

I bought a new coffee pot on a great sale, under $10. The old one still worked but the plug on the cord was getting really hot. Scary. This one is nice. So I will retire the old one until I can figure out what was wrong with it or find a reuse for it.

Today, I plan to make an appointment for kitty's nails to be trimmed. Since she got that fungus infection in them, I have decided to let the vet tech do them in case there is a problem. This way, it can be caught early, I hope.

No walk tomorrow because my neighbor has an early doctor's appointment. She asked me to tell a neighbor I associate with about the old neighbor's death. I said I would. I plan to get my lab work done tomorrow morning. We will see if the weather allows it.

It has been cooler the last couple of days. Less ac. I hope today is as well. I am venturing outside to work some when it is not raining and I intend to continue that today. Also work on populating the peg board I put up on the wall.

Just the normal daily frugal things here. I have about 5 pints of frozen, chopped chicken for hub's lunch or stir fry. And now 2 pints of frozen chicken jelly for the fall and one pint of chicken fat. I cook chicken in chicken fat. Tastes better.

Today, I am grateful for the cooler weather. Have a good day everyone. Be safe. Stay cool.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Not up as early as you Gayle, or half as energetic. Sipping my coffee to get my day started correctly and then it will be off to the shops and bank (getting all that done today as well as the online paying of bills) instead of tomorrow. I really want to get the relish started tonight so one garden food process is completed. Then since I will be in the processing mood, I just may gather up all that is necessary to make the pie filling and cherry liqueur at a later date this weekend.

Hubby's birthday pie turned out wonderfully. Both of us had a slice as our night snack. Not the best thing to eat before heading to bed, but it was soooo good. I often forget to make this type of blueberry pie (I may just try it with cherries at some point).

Frugally speaking, today will in fact be a spend day, but an allowable one. I have my shopping list and will be sticking to it. Hopefully no little extras will find themselves into it. I want to spend some time in the sewing room, so hopefully I can get in there at some point today. Even if I just thread the machine and sew a couple of seams I will be happy. I really need to get the summer tops sewn as it is almost time to start on winter patterns.

Other frugal things will be the usual. I may hold off on my long morning walk today doing a shorter one instead as walking up and down aisles puts a few steps on the counter.

The garden is producing nicely. I should be able to pick some pole beans by the end of the month. Not sure about having any to freeze just yet, but there will be enough for a meal. We gave been eating tomatoes and cucumbers for awhile now and they taste so much better than store bought. Probably more cost effective as well.

My Costco membership is almost up, so that will be one of the items I need to look at for next month (the membership is up in September) will I use it more than I did this year???? or should I just give it up and do my stock up shopping at say Superstore or the Warehouse???? I do like to see what they have at Costco, and I believe the guys like all the little giveaways.

Supper this evening will be Baked Spaghetti along with a tossed Salad. Need to get that salad used up asap. I also need to make a bit more pasta. I have lots of sauce but not the spaghetti itself.

Today I am grateful that my wrist does not feel so stiff this morning. Still stiff, but a bit better than a week or two ago.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Jackie, cherry pie is my family's absolute favorite, although I personally have never met pie I didn't like. :-D

It has cooled off some this morning in my part of Tennessee. I drove to work with the car window down because it was so cool and Lucinda Williams singing on the stereo. So nice!

I had trouble falling asleep last night, and kept immediately falling into a recurring little dream about finding all kinds of weird things in my desk drawer at work. Anxiety much? Ha! Hoping today will be peaceful. I am caught up on work and enjoying the last of a big cup of coffee.

We are going this weekend to see our SIL in Atlanta. I need to think up something for dessert to take. Kind of leaning toward a chocolate cake, since there's cake mix in the cupboard, but might also bring a bowl of cubed watermelon.

Hope everyone has a lovely, frugal day.
Mackie

delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Good morning all. Today will be a day of donuts, library, and then kids sports. Dishes will get washed somewhere in between. If I am up to it, I'll also tackle decluttering a few shelves in our pantry. Lots of canned food items DS is no longer interested in eating.