Recipe organization

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
delighted99

Recipe organization

Post by delighted99 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:23 pm

I almost bought a recipe organizer at Walgreens. It was a clear plastic box with flower decoration on it. I ended up not getting it because I wasn't sure how robust it was. It had dividers for Appetizer, Entree, Salad, etc. Anyone use this method of recipe organization? As of now all my go-to recipes are stored on my computer in text file format.

gaylejackson2

Re: Recipe organization

Post by gaylejackson2 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:30 am

I have several wood and metal recipe boxes that hold 3x5 inches cards, but I don't use them much anymore. My most used recipes are either cookbooks in y cupboard, or loose printed pages in a pile on top of my unused toaster oven.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:54 am

I have an old blue folder with a pocket in the front and back cover that I put printed out recipes in. Someday it will get culled out and better organized.
Mackie

delighted99

Post by delighted99 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Wood and metal sound like great materials for recipe boxes. I'll have to see what I find online.
gaylejackson2 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:30 am
I have several wood and metal recipe boxes that hold 3x5 inches cards, but I don't use them much anymore. My most used recipes are either cookbooks in y cupboard, or loose printed pages in a pile on top of my unused toaster oven.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:52 pm

Being disorganized, recipe cards never worked for me as I would misplace them, spill stuff on them, etc.

I bought a recipe program for the computer and printed them out and put them in page protectors. Those are divided by food types with tabbed dividers. I did two because they are large - a cooking one and a baking one. I can just open the book on a cookbook stand to see a needed recipe and if I splash something on it, I just wipe of with a dishcloth before closing. Also like that whenever I get asked for a recipe, which is pretty often, I can print it right off for the person or attach to an email and send it.

But I love my mother's recipe cards - seeing a few stains and her handwriting and notes is beyond wonderful. I am doing a cookbook of her recipes for my nieces and nephews and am including photos of some of her recipe cards as well.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:49 pm

What a thoughtful and loving gift CG.