August 4, 2018 check-in

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: August 4, 2018 check-in

Post by icfrugal1 »

Good morning,

I need to get back into the backyard and sweep more, it;s a job that needs dong everyday, I'm also getting the kitchen ready.

in about an hour or so DH and I will go to the store.

Yesterday I helped with the "friends" Library sale. Lots of work for $90.00, but it's fun to watch the kids picking out books. As you know the books are donated and the money earned goes to kids projects.

IC
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I slept in and don't have a lot of plans today. Need to do two loads of laundry for myself. The washer is small, so my two loads are most people's one.

DH is taking a nap. He is on a blood pressure medication that makes him tired and last week the doc doubled it. So I am tiptoeing around while he rests.

Later I am going to Home Goods to see if I can find a not expensive quilt suitable for covering the living room sofa. The one that has been in service for years is nearly worn out. The dogs romp and sleep on it, so it gets a lot of wear.
Mackie
rinty

Post by rinty »

Mackie thank you for that mental picture of your little dogs " romping " over your settee ;)

Christmastrees I envy you that camper !

A very hot but very good day. I have been on a downer and have just been trying to GET 'ER DONE. So I wrote it all down to stop it all running around my head.............3 Whole Pages :shock: Well I then felt JUSTIFIED I was stressed :shock: .......please note this wasn't " Do the ironing " on this list, it was all STUFF.

Anyway, no sooner had a done this List From Hell than I got a text from someone on the list, suggesting meeting up today with another person on the list to sort out yet another problem from the list. HALLELUJAH.

It might have been 100 mile round trip but IT WAS WORTH IT. The main problem obviously is as big as I thought it was, and we all brainstormed like madwomen.

Unfixable , so back this problem goes to social services. BOOYAH. It a transport issue for the guys in the carehome. It ain't trivial and we can't micromanage it as noen of us live in the same town as the boys. We are going tohave regular " housemeetings" so we are all one the same page. WE all had something to contribute and all learned something.

AND had a ncie tomato juice in a pub garden on a sunny afternoon to reward ourselves. I had also put in a compliant re something I had seen re someone elses child. They had been informed and thanked me aas it was dealt with.

And lastly, DS was off on one and his best carer was dealing with it and it was great. Instead of basically incarcerating him, he took DS out as a 1 to 1 cos he recognised the planned activity wasn't a go-er.

RELIEF :D

Then visited with DD and the grands in the sunshine. NIce to speak one to one with her. She gets overlooked as she is a "coper" and we all need fuss.

DH and I have been processin' the produce. Jars of pickled beetroot. Bags of frozen French beans and runner beans. A ton of yellow courgette.........mixed bag of different tomatoes (YUM) and yet more onions. We strungthe onions.

A chicken is roasting in the already boiling hot kitchen. Salad with it...........DH made the salad so don't know what in it ; ) I went to M and S ( ridiculously tasty but expensive food....make a note Florida Cat Lover ) and bought TWO of their desserts to reward myself for today. It made it home with the air con on full blast in the car.

I spent a lot of timeon the phone re DS financial assessment. It should be fine. They accept I do not know certain things but another dept in their building DOES. I got a name and she is in the covering letter.

OFF to sit in the baking garden wishing I had another tomato juice...ice water instead.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Rinty,

I’m sorry that you are under so much stress and paperwork.

In London there is an M&S Simply Food not too far from my hotel. The closest grocery store to the hotel (from what I can tell) is Waitrose, which I know is expensive but I’ve read has a good salad bar. My hotel room has a small refrigerator, microwave and dishes. No breakfast provided but that’s OK. I considered staying at a chi chi hotel nearby but decided I’d rather have the refrigerator and it is less money, too.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello Friends,

I wasn't able to sleep much last night. Dh insisted on running a box fan in our window and it blew on me. :( He turned it around about 3:30 am, I think when he got cold, then I was able to sleep a bit.

Our high today is 93F with 50% chance of rain though I'm not seeing any gray rain-clouds. I have the AC running, if I didn't Dh would be furious when he gets home from work as the house would be too warm for him. However I'm cold & may sit on the back porch with a book for awhile.

I paid 3/5 of utilities & phone bills this morning. I'll pay the other 2 on Monday or Tuesday after Pilot Fuel center drops the hold on my account.

Does any one know how to use Old Navy's Supercash? I have $30 from yesterday's stop for Ds15 to shop (I bought $4 shirts for the other 4 children too).

I shopped after taking ds13 to bank to deposit his summer's earnings -- got $93 for $48 thanks to wonderful sales on GM Cereal (5/$5), pork roasts ($1.49/lb) and pork chops ($1.39/lb). I got meat enough for 4-5 meals. Plus 5 onions for $1 in the mark-down bin, 2 bags of apples, a bunch of small bananas, 3 gallons of milk & 2 gallons of distilled water. Also a FREE bag of Airheads candy courtesy of a previous Friday Freebie coupon.

Dinner tonight will be Pork chops, green salad, and whatever other veggies I scrounge up, and maybe brown rice.

Today I'm thankful we are HOME (though Dh wishes he was anywhere but here as he is now thoroughly hating his job because of his supervisor making his life miserable... he is even considering leaving his job because of that man :( ); am also thankful for the continuing heat as our dryer savings went to buy new batteries for the travel trailer (which also blew a tire out on the way home from our 1st family reunion).
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Well I managed to get some extra cleaning done (cupboard fronts will have to wait for a day or two), dehydrating done, pickles in a bucket made and some of the garden harvested.

Hubby and I were picking beans in a downpour. But I do believe we have enough for another couple of meals.

Don't ask me about cucumbers...… I am getting overloaded once again, even after using quite a few in the pickles in a bucket recipe. I took four over to the young folks beside us. Bless them, they tried to make a garden in one of the flower beds in front, but since they all work it is over run with weeds and things are not looking very good.

Sliced cukes, and green pepper slices along with dip will be our sides for supper.

I have to slice some tricoloured peppers tonight into the container, and will add some cucumber spears if I can to that container.

Tomorrow we will be having a cucumber salad. Any cucumber recipes that you would like to share would be greatly appreciated, and if those can be canned or processed even better :)
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/