Daily check in August 5, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily check in August 5, 2018

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning.. Been a while since I posted for various reasons. The most recent one is my computer is acting up as is my ALS. Was informed by my Canadian pharmacy that they are going out of business. This is of concern since I go through them to obtain the medication I need for my ALS. They do not have the medicine but they send the RX from my DR to a pharmacy in the UK and the that pharmacy sends me the medication. The same medicine cost $1.00 a pill from the UK but in the US it cost $7.00 a pill and my insurance will not pay for it since it is not an approved medicine for ALS. I have a rare inherited form of ALS and this medicine, quinine, does help with the tremors for my particular family. I did receive a letter from the pharmacy in the UK and they said if I would like to continue with them I could set up an account. Which I did..While talking to some friends in the UK yesterday they were expressing concerns about getting their own medications when Brexit goes in to place.. I never thought of that before. So I need to stockpile some medication for just in case. So will have to work that in to my budget.

My DB is working on putting his farm up for sale and is in the last phase of moving the last of their things out of their farm house and when that happens he will stop his trash pick up.. I have been taking my trash to his house since I moved here. It is very expensive and I will have to work that in to my budget as well. The budge in my budget just keeps getting smaller and smaller and the cost of things just keep going up and up. I do count my blessings that I have a guaranteed income but need to find some way to stretch it even more. I guess a lot of us are having to deal with that as well?
Sorry to be such a downer today but wanted to let everyone know I am still here and sometimes do peak in even if I am not posting.. Take care and enjoy your Sunday.. Janet Alliesmam
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello all.

Janet, I’ve read about possible Brexit shortages, also, but I think it will only be for goods imported from the EU. So if your RX is actually made in the UK you should be fine. At least that is my understanding.

Two frugal successes today.

I have been researching luggage with the help of two friends. One friend suggested a brand that was way too expensive for me. The other friend gave me the name of a brand I recognized from a financial message board awhile ago. I found a suitcase I liked on ebags but decided to check out the store where my friend bought her luggage. I found a bag there the same size, same brand but a discontinued model. It was 50% off their price (about 40% off the ebags price). Success! The zipper broke on my old suitcase when I got home from my last trip.

Then I stopped at CVS. I wanted to use the $2 ECB from yesterday’s haircolor on Tide Pods. They were “on sale” for $4.97. Last night I sent a $3 digital coupon to my card but I couldn’t tell from the description if it would work on any size package. It worked and along with my $2 ECB I only paid .35 for the Tide Pods.

I found a new show to watch on Prime last night, A Very English Scandal. Only three episodes but Hugh Grant is very funny.

Stay cool everyone.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

"I found a new show to watch on Prime last night, A Very English Scandal. Only three episodes but Hugh Grant is very funny."

I've watched that series, and it's very good. I've never had an opinion of Hugh Grant either way, but he is really good in this movie. He's transitioned from cute romantic-comedy guy to old guy very well, LOL
ohjodi
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:03 pm Hello all.

Janet, I’ve read about possible Brexit shortages, also, but I think it will only be for goods imported from the EU. So if your RX is actually made in the UK you should be fine. At least that is my understanding.

Two frugal successes today.

I have been researching luggage with the help of two friends. One friend suggested a brand that was way too expensive for me. The other friend gave me the name of a brand I recognized from a financial message board awhile ago. I found a suitcase I liked on ebags but decided to check out the store where my friend bought her luggage. I found a bag there the same size, same brand but a discontinued model. It was 50% off their price (about 40% off the ebags price). Success! The zipper broke on my old suitcase when I got home from my last trip.

Then I stopped at CVS. I wanted to use the $2 ECB from yesterday’s haircolor on Tide Pods. They were “on sale” for $4.97. Last night I sent a $3 digital coupon to my card but I couldn’t tell from the description if it would work on any size package. It worked and along with my $2 ECB I only paid .35 for the Tide Pods.

I found a new show to watch on Prime last night, A Very English Scandal. Only three episodes but Hugh Grant is very funny.

Stay cool everyone.
Florida Cat my concern is where does the raw material come from that they use to manufacture the medication..When I call them to order my medication I will ask them if they see a future problem.. I can call them and my Dr can fax them an order but we still have to send a hard copy of the RX to the UK. I will have to figure out how much I might need in future and get an order started soon.

Will this be your first trip to the UK? I have been three times and loved every minute of it.. I am a huge history buff and loved going to some of the places I have read about... I could spend the rest of my life there and never get tired of going to see all of the historic sites I have read about. Enjoy your trip. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

ohjodi wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:06 pm "I found a new show to watch on Prime last night, A Very English Scandal. Only three episodes but Hugh Grant is very funny."

I've watched that series, and it's very good. I've never had an opinion of Hugh Grant either way, but he is really good in this movie. He's transitioned from cute romantic-comedy guy to old guy very well, LOL
I watched the first episode last night and will probably watch 2 and 3 tonight. This morning I read a recent profile of Hugh Grant in the NYT and in one of the comments the person mentioned that the guy who plays Norman is in a series called London Spy. I recalled seeing that title listed on Netflix so I’ll check that out soon.
floridacatlover

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:14 pm
floridacatlover wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:03 pm Hello all.

Florida Cat my concern is where does the raw material come from that they use to manufacture the medication..When I call them to order my medication I will ask them if they see a future problem.. I can call them and my Dr can fax them an order but we still have to send a hard copy of the RX to the UK. I will have to figure out how much I might need in future and get an order started soon.

Will this be your first trip to the UK? I have been three times and loved every minute of it.. I am a huge history buff and loved going to some of the places I have read about... I could spend the rest of my life there and never get tired of going to see all of the historic sites I have read about. Enjoy your trip. Janet Alliesmama
Yes, it’s hard to know about the raw materials. You are smart to try to stockpile at least some of the Rx. I believe that Brexit will go into effect in March 2019.

I’ve been to the UK twice but it has been 30 years. Back then I didn’t know where my family came from in the UK. I love history, too!