Daily check in August 5, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily check in August 5, 2018

Post by clemencia2us »

i'm going more to accompany my ill sibling. The one with the heart condition. Don't want her out there by herself.

They are "best" friends. But she is also annoyed with her behavior

She can't swallow a pill cuz it might get stuck in her throat, but eating a beef taco is no problem??? I told her to just imagine that was what it was. Guess that didn't' work.

she has some phobia about her throat. also the thought of throwing up paralyzes her with fear. Most of us would just love to have that over and done with. The relief is worth it.

The woman has had cancer surgery. She handled that - not sure why so squeamish now. Its all food related in a way. Goes to the doctor several times a month it seems for this or that. But has had stomach issues for years and never once tried to go check it out.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I have finished my first cup of coffee and figure I can at least make a bit of sense and not ramble on incoherently which I am wont to do at times.

Looks to be a bit of a cooler day which could mean doing some digging up of daylilies. I am almost tempted to get rid of them totally this year. All the colour from our center garden is done at this time of year and it looks like a jungle of green!!. We could put some of them over in the corner by the shed and have a bit more colour there, but I will see what hubby has to say.

Then there are all the Asiatic Lilies. That they have multiplied like rabbits is good, that they are so bunched together killing off other flowers is bad. So I would really like to thin them out. Hubby says just get rid of them and buy new... Say what! Costs for summer flowers would be astronomical. Though waiting to see what colours come up next year and where they are in order to be marked is going to seem like forever.

Hubby decided to sand down our wooden settee yesterday so I suppose today will be the first coat of paint. We are going from white to blue spruce to match the deck. The park bench needs to be painted or stained as well.

The rest of the day will be spent making a few lists, finding cucumber recipes, and just plain doing whatever I feel like (of course that will be after Mass and kitty litter patrol).

I am almost finished a ball of yarn making a scarf. I love the way the shaded of yarn are coming through. I hope to have enough to knit some fingerless mitts, but if not I will have the scarf and a cowl out of this gorgeous yarn. Perhaps if I can find another ball sometime when I am shopping I can get the mitts as well.

It seems to be a tiny bit cooler today which is a good thing since I have to get up in front of the church to proclam as we are now supposed to call this (things they are achanging) as well as walk down the center aisle carrying the Lectionary. I don't want to faint that's for sure. I so hope that Father doesn't prolong the homily and that Mass is out at the usual time.

Right now we are at a budget crunch. Seems that we are running a deficit of quite a bit and with the hiring of a full time Youth Minister well our deficit will be much greater. Our priest wants more people to give and those that do give to give more yet. Hmmm, most of those that give are older folks on fixed income, I don't think they can afford to give more. Now perhaps if there was an end to senseless spending (new altar server robes with a large roll down collar when we just got new robes two years ago), new Communion cups when we were gifted with a gorgeous set a couple of years ago. I could go on but I won't. Spending needs to be curtailed before I even think of giving more.

Frugally speaking, other than the envelope for church there will be no spending today. Pretty sure we won't be heading out for brunch after Mass as Hubby will likely want to get right down to painting/staining.

Supper tonight will be Roast Beef, roasted potatoes, roasted carrots, green beans and a cucumber salad.

Today I am grateful that the garden is beginning to produce and produce very well.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

talk about comedy capers.

I'm back home. Seems the person we were supposed to relieve from patient sitting duties didn't tell my sibling which hospital. Went to local one - nada. Called "patient" and finally told us oh no - not there.

Sibling said ok - not going, so we came home.

She'll be alright. Her child is on her way.

meds will have to be given through an iv since patient refuses to take them orally. LOL
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

jackiLou

Our church is also losing money. But the thing is - they don't tell us why.

I know there is a budget committee, but would be nice to see the results. We do see what is collected weekly - but not the outlay. We only turn on the AC during weekend mass.

water bill is paid late. things like that.

but asking for more money is not something he does. I think he should. The service I attend has the least number of people attending, but gives the most. I guess more kids go to the other services. Our group is generally older people.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

clemencia2us wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:24 am jackiLou

Our church is also losing money. But the thing is - they don't tell us why.

I know there is a budget committee, but would be nice to see the results. We do see what is collected weekly - but not the outlay. We only turn on the AC during weekend mass.

water bill is paid late. things like that.

but asking for more money is not something he does. I think he should. The service I attend has the least number of people attending, but gives the most. I guess more kids go to the other services. Our group is generally older people.
Clem the only reason I know about the spending spree, is because I am on Parish Council (now called Parish Pastoral Council).

The last request for money came in the form of a bulletin insert. Nothing was stated as to how the money had been spent, just the wanting more because our deficit would be even greater with the hiring of a full time Youth Minister (something we definitely need as the youth have been disappearing from the church pretty much since I gave up the position in 2001).

The two priests before this one left with a surplus, now that surplus is gone and we are even more in debt. Whoever comes here as our new pastor in 4 or 5 years is going to inherit a mess (one that the more fiscal priests had tried and succeeded to get us out of when they came).
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I have been busy this morning. My daughter took me to Walmart. I needed to replace my kitchen clock. I had replaced the battery a few weeks ago but it was loosing time. The clock was about 9 years old. The new one was a gigantic $3.98. I picked up a few other things.

We visited for a while then she left to go home.

Penny