Daily Check in Aug 7, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Aug 7, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning friends,

I caused a quiet uproar by wear a dress to work yesterday. In our team meeting L, the boss, told various guys they needed to wear a dress a certain day the rest of the week. LOL. Our team in not exactly PC, but no one person is singled out and it is good natured, so no one is offended. When it does get bit out of hand, I walk away and the other lady on the team calls them out. So it works for us.

No set plans for this evening. I need to do more sewing.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in Aug 7, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Today is the beginning of our heat wave here. This thing is supposed to stretch across Canada and most of the US. Not looking forward to highs close to 40C at all (and as they are always a bit low we should hit higher).

I hope to get out for my walk a this morning, do some garden work (leading to dehydrating) and get most of the household tasks completed before it gets too warm. I know I am just going to want to sit in the cool by the time the afternoon rolls around.

I have started my extra cleaning list and managed to get a few things completed. I hope to get a few more of the very simple and quick cleaning jobs out of the way today. I had thought of cleaning the oven sometime this week, but think we will have enough of a problem with our air conditioners keeping up without the added heat.

My sweet tooth is acting up so if I have time today I may make a batch of mini donuts in the machine. That doesn't heat up the room, and enables me to use up a bit more in the pantry. Since I am doing a pantry challenge I am finding all sorts of items that I can use to cook with, finding all kinds of things in the freezers as well.

Frugally speaking today will be a no spend day at least on my part. Hubby has decided to take apart our dual Adirondack chair and rebuild it as the wood is rotting. This all happened because he decided to sand it down and paint it. Mind you it is a wonderfully comfortable chair and was one of my Mother's Day gifts many moons ago.

I will be cooking using what is on hand (hopefully I have everything I need or there will be improvisation), using up the bulk cleaning products still, walking for my daily exercise, and working on finishing up various projects of handcrafting. If I decide to sew today (or in other words get enough finished on the knitting) I will be setting up the small table and machine in the living room. No way will I sew in the heat of the sewing/craft room.

I need to harvest some herbs and because we don't want heat added to the house I will set the dehydrator up outside on the deck. I would like to get mint, thyme, parsley and more sage done today. But I could be over reaching, 10 trays does hold a great deal, but sage and mint take a longer drying time.

Supper tonight is going to be a main dish salad. I need to find my recipe for Mustard Beef and onion salad. This will be served over a bed of greens. It's supposed to be a bed of iceberg lettuce, but I am going to use the last of the romaine. We have ice cream for dessert.

Today I am grateful that we have air conditioning, I remember a time that we didn't.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...
We've had thunderstorms/rain all night, and it's still raining.

Had to haul DH off to urgent care yesterday ... he came home limping badly and in serious pain. Anyway, they diagnosed bursitis and gave him a cortisone shot. He seemed much better this morning and went to work ... he has some training, so he says he won't be moving around too much.

Have some work to clean up today. We'll see if I get the tomatoes in the freezer.

We're going to a financial workshop at the library tonight. It's run by a non-profit that promotes financial education (seems to do a lot on retirement, Social Security and Medicare), and doesn't sell anything. Hopefully, we can get some good info from it.

Today, I am grateful that we have health insurance ...
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Tuesday morning all,

Today looks to be a busy day. We had another successful zucchini meal and hubs oked eating more zucchini. Today is the last day of zucchini sales at Aldi's. So add that to my list or go without. I must go to the post office and save a lot for their tomatoes. That is the opposite direction from Aldi's. also a bank stop. So we will see how much gets done.

The handyman called, upset. He said Home depot pro desk couldn't find the rain gutter order. I said it will be at the service desk. He argued that I put the order in at the pro desk. I explained it is stored at the customer service desk for pick up. He was upset and wanted me to take care of it. :roll: Well, I called and the pro desk confirmed what I said. So I called him back. We will see how this all happens. I must wait until he gets the stuff since he apparently falls apart easily.

Today, I will get a call from the last potential contractor regarding insulation. They will need numbers. I will leave it with hubs when I go.... if the handyman doesn't block me in.

Today, we will have more pollack fish for dinner. Hubs said it was very good. Pollack is cheap and not from China.

My injected eye feels ok this morning. Just a little scratchy. Vision is fine, so driving is good.

This morning I will make another air fare, the one from Houston to Florida. Much more interesting stuff happening, but got to get going. Today, I am grateful for my mind that still can still think. Have a good day everyone.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Another bright sunny day

Had an interesting evening. Another fire in our area. Think we have an arsonist!

Scary

Update on ill friend. Has spent two night in the hospital now. Just to make sure she takes her medication. Kind of weird but she was in hysterics about swallowing the pills. So they started with IV form of meds.

Shall see if it is released today. :o
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I tried to set up an Uber ride. It kept insisting I was someplace other then where I live. Then it wouldn’t accept the family group. Which is how I would be paying for it.

I am glad I tried from home.

The frustration is just exhausting. As I am also dealing with figuring out how I will be paying for this weeks dental work. My daughter has about half the money. My son is helping me pay so this is more cash flow then not having the money.

Penny