Daily Check in Aug 7, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check in Aug 7, 2018

Post by MackerelCat » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Penny, I am sorry things are so frustrating and hard right now. *hugs*

Clem, my MIL had swallowing difficulties after having a stroke. FIL used to wrap her pills in foil and crush them to a powder with pliers, then mix it up in a big spoonful of yogurt and feed it to her. She took them like a champ after that. Obviously this does not work for timed release stuff, but it kept her going for a few more years. The nursing home my mom was in had a similar set up, but more high-tech than pliers and foil. Mom had to have her meds crushed and mixed in a tiny cup of ice cream.

Maggie, that is awesome and funny about you wearing a dress and freaking the guys out a little bit. Good for you! :-D

I did the frugal thing and packed a lunch of leftovers today. No opportunities to spend have presented themselves, so it should be a frugal day.
Mackie

rinty

Post by rinty » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:29 pm

LWolfT, your poor husband, you have been going through it lately, haven't you ?

Quick check in whilst Grandchildren are at day camp today, took them in and they ran off in delight.............so that was reassuring ;) They are home with us for the rest of the week.

DH and I took advantage and went to see Mission Impossible...............2 out of 10 was my initial thought and THAT was because the rather lovely Henry Cavill was in it........but as it droned on I realised the loathed Simon Pegg was in it to therefore I give it ZERO. I fell asleep for 20 minutes during yet another car chase. UTTER BILGE. BUt FREE re the cinema vouchers. I took in cans of root beer and some of my teacher appreciation gift choccies to eat.

Salmon and salad for dinner, macaroni cheese for DGKs, fruit for dessert.

Today I actually wrote something down on the TO DO list after I had done it ( Sorted through entire wardrobe of clothes for DH and I ) How sad am I ?

Spent over an hour on DS "stuff" . Need to spend umpteen more hours on it before I get him back here for a fortnights holiday. Some success he is back down to only TWO meds as opposed to FOUR. Won't see the results though as it will take a while to get out of his system.

No Spend as cinema was FREE. tomorrow will be out with friends but low cost as they are feeding us, just petrol costs, I do want to take the DGKs for an "outing but am looking at places that want £10 each to get in rather than these theme parks that cost £55 ( I am looking at you, Legoland :shock: )

DH is going to try a Pioneer Woman recipe for clover leaf rolls from an episode where she did Thnaksgiving............they are no knead soand look very easy.........he is very good at bread so here is hoping.

Trying to be more social and getting out more. Made a date to go to the theatre with a work friend later in the month . The day with the disabled parenst was an eye opener for me over the different ways to be a Disabled Parent.

My method is Hermit but devoted to DS. Others have approaches I just couldn't do. Others have their partners doing all the "stuff ". Others are total SAINTS, their lives are just awful but its a sacrifice they want to make, though if you said to them it was a sacrifice they would deny it saying its all worth it. I keep going over one womans life..............knew her quite well when the boys were little.........absolutely could not bear her life and problems, seriously. Many don't get the chance to be grandparenst either. DEf could not bear THAT.

Anyway, OFF to be a granma

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:16 pm

MackerelCat wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:11 pm
Penny, I am sorry things are so frustrating and hard right now. *hugs*

Clem, my MIL had swallowing difficulties after having a stroke. FIL used to wrap her pills in foil and crush them to a powder with pliers, then mix it up in a big spoonful of yogurt and feed it to her. She took them like a champ after that. Obviously this does not work for timed release stuff, but it kept her going for a few more years. The nursing home my mom was in had a similar set up, but more high-tech than pliers and foil. Mom had to have her meds crushed and mixed in a tiny cup of ice cream.

Maggie, that is awesome and funny about you wearing a dress and freaking the guys out a little bit. Good for you! :-D

I did the frugal thing and packed a lunch of leftovers today. No opportunities to spend have presented themselves, so it should be a frugal day.
My friend doesn't have a physical limitation in that, but more of a mental thing. I had never seen anything like this. She also doesn't want to experience the side effects that are possible with taking the meds. One was nausea. She was panicking at the thought of that. I am so glad that I don't have those issues. I wonder if seeing someone about it would help. Now I see that she has shown signs of panic in other situations. Always just figured that was just her - yes, but this can hinder her in some ways.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Hello all,

I have lost a post.. perhaps it was because I was posting at 1am from my iPhone. *SHRUGS* oh well.

I got to sleep last night (this morning) about 1:30am, and slept pretty well despite nosy dog & dd5 showing up at 7am to pester me about watching tv ("clean you room, then you can watch tv" said I... TV is still off ;)).

I've got ds15's work pants in the wash, they are dry clean only but I put them on the slowest setting & they will hang dry (well EVERYTHING hangs dry here right now).

Still need to wash 2 more loads for girls, then I need clothes washed. I also need to fold & put away dh's socks & underwear, as well as put away girls' socks, underwear, & pj's that were cleaned yesterday. I also need to call about getting a new tire on our travel trailer.

I started a new hat yesterday; I'll knit a couple of inches in tan, then use the rest of the Lion Brand "Yosemite," then complete the hat in tan. I'm using an easy hat pattern from Bev's Country Cottage (http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevsbasichat.html), and this one is my 3rd hat in 2 weeks -- I don't knit fast, but I'm trying to make at least 1 hat a week, this one for a 10-13 child-size head.

On Sunday, during the Women's meeting, we discussed service, and ways we can serve others. I think that we're going to make kits for homeless (or nearly so) students -- school kits, hygiene kits, and maybe easy-to-prepare-non-perishable-food-during-weekend kits. I'm thinking ahead to colder weather, and am making hats (and maybe scarves) to give to schools to give away to students.

Not sure on what dinner will be tonight; I made tomato meat sauce & GF spaghetti last night.

I just want to knit & read all day. :| Can't someone ELSE do my chores? :D

*sigh* I'm trying to mentally gear myself up for the phone calls I need to make today, first to the RV place, then I need to call my student loan servicer again! That was NOT a good call yesterday, and I was sooooo frustrated that I actually hung up on the man before I started screaming at him.

Today I'm thankful my washing machine keeps working. I don't think I can handle one more thing going wrong right now.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:29 pm

rinty wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:29 pm
Today I actually wrote something down on the TO DO list after I had done it ( Sorted through entire wardrobe of clothes for DH and I ) How sad am I ?
I have done that too, AND I allowed myself to feel good about it. :D

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:31 pm

Yeah, Clem, it sounds like she needs a head shrinker, not a pill crusher. That's some out of control phobias talking there.
Mackie